logo
 drop

Main

Community

Submissions

Help

78306025 visitors

Author Topic: ROM Hacks: Fantasy Tactics 1.3 RELEASE!  (Read 8355 times)

RHDNBot

ROM Hacks: Fantasy Tactics 1.3 RELEASE!
« on: December 10, 2011, 07:12:27 am »

Update By: Archael

Dear RHDN,

This is Archael from insanedifficulty.com and today I am proud to inform you that Final Fantasy Tactics 1.3 is available on RHDN! This is the granddaddy of Final Fantasy Tactics mods. It has been in development for a total of 4 years, going through various phases of ideology, polish, testing, and refinement

The end result is a difficulty, rebalance, gameplay, and content mod that will make you feel like you were playing this classic game for the first time at the time of its release over 10 years ago, while leaving the story, characters, and game script intact.

Generally speaking, 1.3 increases difficulty, adds over 300 new random battles to the world map and Deep Dungeon, lets you play Dark Knight, Onion Knight, improves monsters, and re-balances the skills and items to make the game more fun and challenging. It also gets rid of easy to abuse mechanics that let the player breeze through the games content without thought or challenge.

1.3 is available for both the Playstation and War of The Lions versions of Final Fantasy Tactics. Below are important relevant links that cover the data of the mod in its present state:

Enjoy all the work that has done into this mod, and feel free to browse the links if you have any questions, or leave your feedback here or on the official forum linked above.

Thank you.

- Archael, Editor of 1.3 and insanedifficulty.com Admin

RHDN Project Page

Relevant Link: (http://www.insanedifficulty.com/index.php/Final%20Fantasy%20Tactics%201.3/home)

m|m

• View Profile
Re: ROM Hacks: Fantasy Tactics 1.3 RELEASE!
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2011, 09:27:46 am »
So is this a new release or what?

fairdenizen

• America's Individuality
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2011, 10:57:39 am »
I already found this game challenging. I just want a mod where you get more JP and XP so i don't sit around and throw rocks every turn.

Lenophis

• IRC Staff
  • The return of the sombrero!
    • View Profile
    • Slick Productions
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2011, 11:53:17 am »
Does this work on the hardware? If not, then I won't bother.

Darkdata

• People who hurt others to feel better are idiots.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2011, 01:46:35 pm »
I'll just leave this here:

Quote from: Orange Fluffy Sheep
It's because other hacks aren't unfair bullshit hard. He calls them lolpatches.

I know this from the youtube comments of his favorite unwinnable battle getting won and it wasn't in a way he intended (none has been proven to exist).

I recommend we refer to the unwinnable fight as Absolute Virtue 1.3 or some variant thereof because at least this guy isn't alone in this behavior.

Quote from: Rabbi Raccoon
HA! I remember that video. He threw a temper tantrum over it and said the guy cheated, even though he used totally legit means to win.

As I recall, in the version released after that, he straight up made the enemy take 0 damage from everything. Because god forbid someone proves him wrong. The oceans will dry up if that happens. Just imagine the poor lil' fishies flopping around. That's a huge burden for any one man to bear.

Also, it should work on real hardware.

Archael

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2011, 04:40:07 pm »
@ DarkData: A difficulty mod that punishes players from grinding levels on SA? What do you expect? Happy rainbow feedback?

It's because other hacks aren't unfair bullshit hard. He calls them lolpatches.
A lolpatch is a patch that has little or no work put into it, or poorly thought out ideas. Unfortunately, FFT has many of those floating around, most of them 1.3 clones. A lolpatch has nothing to do with whether it is difficult or not!

HA! I remember that video. He threw a temper tantrum over it and said the guy cheated, even though he used totally legit means to win.
The video he's referring to is of an optional boss which was supposed to take 1 damage a hit (from anything) and had 999 HP. Video uploader found an exploit which let you do ~200 damage a turn to him, so it was fixed.

It wasn't meant to work that way, so it was patched the version after that. And yes, using that exploit was not beating the guy legitly. I still consider it cheating, though the exploit is no longer possible.

And yes, it works on real hardware.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2011, 06:16:09 am by Archael »

Darkdata

• People who hurt others to feel better are idiots.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2011, 05:32:43 pm »
I disagree with your points, and I stand by the fact that you've moved things from broken to tedium. Your hack does have an audience though, so it's only a difference of opinion.

In any case, I only brought up the current LP thread because it is the most likely one to finish the hack, and with someone who somewhat enjoys FFT1.3. I figure that anyone who may skip your hack can at least read about it.

V: As to not clutter up the thread, I disagree that this is hard in the rewarding sense.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2011, 06:08:03 pm by Darkdata »

Archael

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2011, 05:41:14 pm »

You disagree with my points? Which? That 1.3 (a difficulty mod) is difficult?

If 1.3 demanded endless hours of grinding, I would agree with you. But it just doesn't. In fact, grinding isn't the best solution most of the time.

Most of the time, its best to revise your team setup, the enemies, and figuring out how to win with that.

1.3 requires a tremendous amount of FFT-related player skill and knowledge.

Zalbag

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2011, 08:04:04 pm »
FFT1.3 is clearly meant for people who have played a ton of FFT and know the game inside and out, and know all the best skill/class/equip combos.
It's not meant for people who think the original FFT is a hard game. I thought many of the early battles in FFT were hard...when I was thirteen. But even my first time through, most of Chapter 4 was like playing with cheat codes on. 1.3 is fun because it is hard, and it makes you think about your moves, as you should in anything described as a "strategic" or "tactical" game.
grinding isn't the best solution most of the time.

Most of the time, its best to revise your team setup, the enemies, and figuring out how to win with that.

1.3 requires a tremendous amount of FFT-related player skill and knowledge.

I agree with Archael here.
I love FFT1.3
My only gripes with 1.3 are my own technical blunders as I try to figure out why a certain emulator won't run it or why the latest patch didn't apply properly, (usually because I applied it to an already-patched ISO) but I always figure it out.

Special T

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2011, 10:29:45 pm »
If I'm understanding correctly the PSP and PSX versions of this patch are identical including all the new elements of the PSP port such as the new jobs. Is there any advantage to patching the PSP version of this game such as being able to view the visual novels or has everything been ported?

Archael

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2011, 10:53:03 pm »
I think I understand what you're getting at, but if I'm off base, let me know:

If I'm understanding correctly the PSP and PSX versions of this patch are identical including all the new elements of the PSP port such as the new jobs.

Not quite. The PSX version of the mod is still just the regular old PSX FFT. It will enable you to recruit two NPC's that have the Onion Knight and Dark Knight jobs, but it won't open those as a generic class for your entire roster like the PSP iteration of the game does. The PSX patch and the PSP patch are very similar, but they do have their differences.

Is there any advantage to patching the PSP version of this game such as being able to view the visual novels or has everything been ported?
The PSP version of the patch will only work for War of The Lions. The PSX version of 1.3 doesn't include any of the extras present in War of The Lions, so it's not like patching a PSX game with WOTL 1.3 will add anything. It won't work in the first place.

Special T

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2011, 10:59:09 pm »
That does answer my question, thank you   :)

The reason I ask is because I like to play games on the television as opposed to the small psp screen but I liked playing War of the Lions more than the original because of the added material. So, in this cause since the extra material wasn't ported to the PSX version I should stick to using the patch on the PSP version. Thanks again for the info.

Piotyr

• I'm useful, honest!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 11, 2011, 10:38:18 am »
I do think some things are a bit overbearing in your patch later on such as the side quests to get the optional npcs in the last chapter but for people like me there is always 1.3 easy type.
Sadly easy type hasn't updated in a while and does not intend to update. I found easy type to be challenging but not insanely so so really it could even be considered a stepping stone to 1.3 because it uses most of the same mechanics but tones down the battles.

Archael

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 11, 2011, 11:58:26 am »
^ I'm actually about to release a version of this mod called FFT Content 1.3.0.4 in SA soon.

It's this same hack but with storyline level scaling and gear scaling completely gone. All of the content, none of the difficulty.

I can link you as soon as it is up if you're interested. It's like Easytype, but updated to the current version, with all of the content.

Piotyr

• I'm useful, honest!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 11, 2011, 02:31:25 pm »
^ I'm actually about to release a version of this mod called FFT Content 1.3.0.4 in SA soon.

It's this same hack but with storyline level scaling and gear scaling completely gone. All of the content, none of the difficulty.

I can link you as soon as it is up if you're interested. It's like Easytype, but updated to the current version, with all of the content.

Well easy type does edit the encounters a bit. Can you make a version of this content patch but with the easy type encounters? If so I would gladly restart my game because easy type has a lot of bugs left in for their WOTL release (Their psx release is fine).
Also I think the content release will go over well and silence the nay sayers because it will show that there are levels. Like a video game with east (Vanilla) normal (Content) and hard (1.3).
I like a challenge but I don't like being stuck later in a game because I set up my characters wrong ya know? Which is where your strict leveling kinda messes me up. Also I like going through the side quests in the last chapter as I go and sadly you making them all level 99 with bad ass weapons kinda sidelines that idea.

Archael

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 11, 2011, 02:41:10 pm »
Ok it's ready. This is FFT Content 1.3.0.4. It is the exact same mod but without level scaling on storyline enemies, and overall difficulty dropped down by quite a bit. It is like Easytype, but updated to the latest version of 1.3 and with all its new content.

Grab it here: http://www.insanedifficulty.com/board/index.php?/topic/1879-fft-content-project-ready-for-download/

I realize not everyone is into being forced to intimately learn the mechanics behind FFT to be able to progress in 1.3, so there you go. ^

Spooniest

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 11, 2011, 04:05:36 pm »
I understand this is ... what's the word? "Hotly debated?" Anyway.

I've never considered challenge to be the most important thing about a game. Many games I play are not very challenging, but I find them enjoyable. This is just me, understand. I've sort of been watching from the sidelines as people release hard patch after hard patch, and wondering why it seems to have become more important to make the games challenging than it is to make them enjoyable. Then it dawns on me...

The real motivation here seems to be that the designers want to show off their skill at designing and balancing the difficulty at very high levels. That's not easy to do at all, and I think many people who make these hacks are practicing a fine art. So if I were to play a difficult patch of some sort, I think I would want to go into it with the attitude of simply appreciating the artfulness of how it was done, rather than expecting to enjoy the frustrating level of difficulty.

As it stands now, I'm undecided about "Challenge" gaming, myself. But I do understand where the craze is coming from.
- 鳥なき里の蝙蝠
- 本末転倒
- 愚考山を移す  - Mt 17:20, I believe...:)

Piotyr

• I'm useful, honest!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 11, 2011, 09:54:38 pm »
Making a challenging yet fun game is an artform and most game designers do not take this into account when making hard modes (I'm looking at you dark messiah of might and magic!). These hard modes take insane amounts of work because while they are making it hard they are also making it balanced.
Also about the content patch, the easy type patch does change some of the battles and how the characters are set up, will you be poking around easy type and maybe porting those set ups? I would be behind this 100%! :P.

Gogo13

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 11, 2011, 11:06:36 pm »
I'm very excited about this and glad you have both a normal type and easy version available. FFT has one of the best stories ever in my opinion.

Archael

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 12, 2011, 12:00:51 am »
will you be poking around easy type and maybe porting those set ups? I would be behind this 100%!

I already did. Content has 1.3's modified battle setups for everything, just without the level scaling and gear scaling. It is quite a bit easier, but the storyline and all random setups are there.