logo
 drop

Main

Community

Submissions

Help

84323965 visitors

Author Topic: Nabbed me a PS3... Game recommendations!!  (Read 3673 times)

Garoth Moulinoski

• Disliking that smoke.
    • View Profile
    • My Stuff including Super Smash Karts.
Nabbed me a PS3... Game recommendations!!
« on: November 27, 2011, 01:51:07 pm »
So. I got me a PS3 and I already have me eyes set on MGS4, A.C.E. R, and at first, I wanted Gundam Crossfire until I read some of the reviews... But I'm now kinda wanting Gundam Battlefiled US 0081 or something like that. And I already have 3D Dot Game Heroes.

Now here's the thing... I sorta... Don't know about any other PS3 games I would enjoy. I have some games that I've already purchased for my XBox that are also on PS3, but I don't plan to get those (Final Fantasy XIII, Gundam Dynasty Warriors 2, and Fallout 3). And then there are some games I've wanted that are multiplatform that now, I'm not sure for which platform to get (the two Batman: Arkham games, Catherine).

So. Recommendations on games to get for my PS3? If a game is multiplatform, then is better to get for PS3? And since the PS3 is region free iirc, imports are perfectly fine recommendations as well, as are PSN downloadable games.

(My tastes are generally towards action-adventure games, racing games, games with giant robots in them... and to a certain extent, RPGs- but they have to have a really quick pace and have it's linearity masked in freedom, like the old NES/SNES RPGs did. But if there are other genres that end up still holding a torch, bring'em on!).
Who will quote me next?
Disclaimer: If it sounds wrong, I may have been posting while asleep.

Deets

• View Profile
Re: Nabbed me a PS3... Game recommendations!!
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2011, 02:00:47 pm »
Pixeljunk Shooter and its sequel are wonderful.

Flower is pretty delightful.

Uncharted!

A.C.E. R sucks. The robot game you want is Gundam: Extreme Vs., which comes out next week or something.

SargeSmash

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2011, 02:22:28 pm »
Will definitely second Uncharted.  Fun stuff, to be sure.  Uncharted 2 was mind-blowing, in a Hollywood blockbuster sort of way.

I'll recommend 3D Dot Game Heroes, since you're a Zelda fan.  It's very much in the old-school Zelda vein, and the game is relatively inexpensive right now.

The Ratchet & Clank games are great, as well.  You might find a deal on those right now (at least the ones that aren't All For One).  Also, Valkyria Chronicles.  I've not been able to sink much time into the game, but if the idea of a sort-of X-Com-esque strategy game with you getting to manually aim, set in a kind-of WWII anime motif appeals to you, by all means, go purchase it right now.

Some folks here didn't like FFXIII.  I actually did, although be forewarned that the game for a long time is very linear.  I still like to call it a corridor RPG-RTS.  ;)

My brother played a lot of the Infamous games.  They're pretty good, and from the developer of one of my favorite last-gen platformers, Sly Cooper.

For some reason, I like Folklore a lot.  Definitely worth a look.  And while I'm thinking of that game, Majin and the Forsaken Kingdom is a great game as well (it's multiplatform, by the way).

If you're a little more masochistic, you could look at Demon's Souls and its follow-up, Dark Souls.  The first one is the only one I've played a little of, and it kind of made me feel a little like playing a game NES-style, with the amount of caution you have to exercise to survive.

And, finally, another multiplatform release in Darksiders.  I enjoyed it, even if it's not wholly original.  It's basically God of War-meets-Zelda, with a very comic book-esque representation of the Book of Revelations (which means it makes no sense at all, but whatever).  And if you enjoy them, you can pretty much play every single God of War game on the PS3, what with all the various collections out there now.

Whew!  I'll stop now.  :P
For what shall it profit a man, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?  -- Mark 8:36

Gideon Zhi

• IRC Staff
    • View Profile
    • Aeon Genesis
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2011, 02:29:34 pm »
Regarding multiplatform, it's your preference. You can check lensoftruth.com for Head-to-Head analyses of major games, which sometimes reveals dramatic quality hits in versions for one platform or the other, but generally it comes down to personal preference. Personally, I prefer to play my multiplatform games on the 360, for two reasons: I know more people who use Live than PSN, and I prefer the 360 controller to the PS3 controller (the 360 pad is heftier, and the shoulder triggers are concave instead of convex. Seriously, who thought convex shoulder buttons was a good idea?)

For exclusives recommendations? 3D Dot Game Heroes is fun! Demon's Souls, if you're hardcore. Folklore is probably the best action/rpg on the system, and basically plays sort of like an action-oriented Megami Tensei title with a heavy Celtic bent in its mythology (as opposed to the usual Buddhist/Judeochristian/Hindi angle) though it is pretty linear dungeon-crawly. inFamous games if you like open world stuff. The Ico/SotC HD collection is great if you missed one or both of the games on the PS2. LittleBigPlanet (2) if you want to play around in a creative environment. And yeah, totally Uncharted. #2 is the best game in the series, followed by #3 and #1. #1 is still pretty good, but it suffers from too many gunfights with too many goons that absorb too many bullets before they die.

It may or may not be your sort of thing, but I really enjoyed Aquanaut's Holiday: Hidden Memories. If you can find it you can even import the Asia/Chinese region of the game, which will display (broken) English on an English-language PS3. But it takes a very particular player to enjoy something like that.

Garoth Moulinoski

• Disliking that smoke.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2011, 04:19:51 pm »
I took a look on Gamefaqs for most of your recommendations thus far...

Pixeljunk Shooter and its sequel are wonderful.

Flower is pretty delightful.

Uncharted!

A.C.E. R sucks. The robot game you want is Gundam: Extreme Vs., which comes out next week or something.

I don't get what kind of game Pixeljunk Shooter is. I guess they're side-scrolling shooters, is that correct? Are they on the level of Gradius and R-Type?

I've already been dead set on A.C.E. R, but I have heard it's pretty disappointing. :/

Is Gundam: Extreme Vs. like Gundam Vs. Gundam for the PSP? While I enjoyed that game a little bit, it wasn't high up there for like Gundam Battle Royale or Senjou no Kizuna.

Will definitely second Uncharted.  Fun stuff, to be sure.  Uncharted 2 was mind-blowing, in a Hollywood blockbuster sort of way.

I'll recommend 3D Dot Game Heroes, since you're a Zelda fan.  It's very much in the old-school Zelda vein, and the game is relatively inexpensive right now.

The Ratchet & Clank games are great, as well.  You might find a deal on those right now (at least the ones that aren't All For One).  Also, Valkyria Chronicles.  I've not been able to sink much time into the game, but if the idea of a sort-of X-Com-esque strategy game with you getting to manually aim, set in a kind-of WWII anime motif appeals to you, by all means, go purchase it right now.

Some folks here didn't like FFXIII.  I actually did, although be forewarned that the game for a long time is very linear.  I still like to call it a corridor RPG-RTS.  ;)

My brother played a lot of the Infamous games.  They're pretty good, and from the developer of one of my favorite last-gen platformers, Sly Cooper.

For some reason, I like Folklore a lot.  Definitely worth a look.  And while I'm thinking of that game, Majin and the Forsaken Kingdom is a great game as well (it's multiplatform, by the way).

If you're a little more masochistic, you could look at Demon's Souls and its follow-up, Dark Souls.  The first one is the only one I've played a little of, and it kind of made me feel a little like playing a game NES-style, with the amount of caution you have to exercise to survive.

And, finally, another multiplatform release in Darksiders.  I enjoyed it, even if it's not wholly original.  It's basically God of War-meets-Zelda, with a very comic book-esque representation of the Book of Revelations (which means it makes no sense at all, but whatever).  And if you enjoy them, you can pretty much play every single God of War game on the PS3, what with all the various collections out there now.

Whew!  I'll stop now.  :P

I've seen ads for Rachet & Clank, but I'm not sure what to make of them... They look like platformers ala Jak and Daxter (for which I played two of the PSP games and found them to bore me), so I didn't think about it.

Valkyria Chronicles looks interesting. So, it's a strategy RPG set in WWII, but there's action sequences? I don't get it much though. When I think strategy RPGs, I think Fire Emblem and Super Robot Wars, which I like; but those don't exactly give you a chance to manually aim or anything- and sometimes that's for the better!

I've seen Majin and the Forsaken Kingdom several times at Gamestop but it always felt like it was a sort of tie-in to some cartoon I've never heard of. Looking at some of the screen shots, it looks like it's been inspired by Shadow of the Colossus/ICO in several ways. I'll be looking for comparisons on this game later to see if it's better for PS3 or not.

Didn't even bother looking into Demon's Soul and Dark Souls. The way you present them, it makes me feel like it's the type of game that will suck the fun out of me because I will need to give it a lot of time or need mad skillz of the sort that Ninja Gaiden requires.

I took a look at Darksiders and I see a lot more God of War in it than Zelda. I'm not sure what to say about that, since I actually did enjoy God of War on the PSP a little. But it's the kind of game that I would play on a handheld and forgive some of the repetitive design simply because it's not like I play for stretches at a times- but on a console, I may just grow tired of instantly. Maybe I'm wrong. So, how much Zelda is there in Darksiders?

Regarding multiplatform, it's your preference. You can check lensoftruth.com for Head-to-Head analyses of major games, which sometimes reveals dramatic quality hits in versions for one platform or the other, but generally it comes down to personal preference. Personally, I prefer to play my multiplatform games on the 360, for two reasons: I know more people who use Live than PSN, and I prefer the 360 controller to the PS3 controller (the 360 pad is heftier, and the shoulder triggers are concave instead of convex. Seriously, who thought convex shoulder buttons was a good idea?)

For exclusives recommendations? 3D Dot Game Heroes is fun! Demon's Souls, if you're hardcore. Folklore is probably the best action/rpg on the system, and basically plays sort of like an action-oriented Megami Tensei title with a heavy Celtic bent in its mythology (as opposed to the usual Buddhist/Judeochristian/Hindi angle) though it is pretty linear dungeon-crawly. inFamous games if you like open world stuff. The Ico/SotC HD collection is great if you missed one or both of the games on the PS2. LittleBigPlanet (2) if you want to play around in a creative environment. And yeah, totally Uncharted. #2 is the best game in the series, followed by #3 and #1. #1 is still pretty good, but it suffers from too many gunfights with too many goons that absorb too many bullets before they die.

It may or may not be your sort of thing, but I really enjoyed Aquanaut's Holiday: Hidden Memories. If you can find it you can even import the Asia/Chinese region of the game, which will display (broken) English on an English-language PS3. But it takes a very particular player to enjoy something like that.

I already bought me 3D Dot Game Heroes the moment I bought my PS3. :) It was one of the games I'd coveted for a while.

Folklore does look interesting, but is the linearity that bad or is it the sort of linearity that let's explore a little but keeps from going off-track, such as the RPGs from the SNES (ie Final Fantasy and Dragon Quest)?

I'm not that much into open world stuff, although my sister might enjoy inFamous a little bit.

I have been thinking about the ICO/SotC bundle! Is it the same game with a face lift or have some things been improved? Either way, SotC was breathtaking for the PS2, I can only imagine how it'll look for the PS3. And I haven't played ICO, so this is a good excuse to nab both since I have neither one.

I have thought about getting Little Big Planet, but then I remembered that it was fun for a little bit and with friends; but alone, and for the PSP, it got boring and repetitive after a while. I never played LBP on my own for the PS3 (it's always been with friends), so I'd like to know how well the single player is, or is it as bleh as the PSP version?

All three of you mentioned Uncharted, and I've heard some things about it, such as it being to games what Indiana Jones is to movies. So, Uncharted 2 is the one to get? Are they connected games or are they disjoint, such as the Final Fantasy series? And... just what genre are they? I can only imagine them being adventure games, considering the comparison I've heard.

I took a look at Aquanaut's Holiday... and I feel like it's a game that would simply put me to sleep. Given that I'd have to import it, it's not like I could just throw some money away to try it out either. :/

Last thing: Gid, thanks for the site. I took a look through it and, even though the site seems clunky and unwieldy, I think I know which version of Batman Arkham City I may be getting in some future. :)
Who will quote me next?

Gideon Zhi

• IRC Staff
    • View Profile
    • Aeon Genesis
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2011, 06:06:56 pm »
Regarding Demon's/Dark Souls, they're not really about luck or twitchiness or anything like that. The controls are *very* deliberate and do pretty much exactly what you want, so if you screw up it really is your fault (you probably panicked.) They're honestly closer to roguelikes than anything else, in that they're as much about the player learning as they are about the player's character stats improving. But unlike roguelikes, there is very little random element to them.

Regarding Folklore, it's basically a dungeon crawl. There are some external paths to explore, a good amount of optional sidequests, and two characters that play entirely differently. It's chaptered, so you'll unlock the next dungeon as you complete the previous. They're all connected to a hub, and there are generally good reasons to backtrack - usually you've received new folk who can access new paths in old areas.

Regarding Valkyria, yeah, it's basically strategy+action. You get a set number of movements per turn, and you can spend them on whichever of your units you want - even on the same unit multiple times, though their move range is decreased for each consecutive action. When you pick a unit, it drops you down into an action view, and you get shot at by enemies in range while you reposition. You can usually line up a single salvo, which can range from one shot to many depending on which weapon or abilities your character has. There's some Fire Emblem/Advance Wars class-based unit-to-unit strengths/weaknesses going on too. It's pretty cool, and there's a definite strong strategy element to it. It gets hard pretty fast.

Edit:
Regarding Ico/SotC, they're pretty much just up-rezzed ports, yeah. Ico has the benefits that the PAL version added - on repeat playthroughs you can enable discernible subtitles for Yorda's text, you get a light sword, second player can control Yorda, etc. But otherwise, yeah, just up-rezzed ports.

SargeSmash

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2011, 06:20:43 pm »
Actually, Darksiders has a pretty heavy amount of Zelda elements.  It just takes a more...  extreme approach to combat.

R&C is certainly a platformer in a somewhat similar vein to Jak, but I find them far better because of their emphasis on a vast arsenal of weaponry, not to mention a sharper sense of humor.  To me, it's almost Mega Man-ish, if it were combined with a "modern" platformer.

Majin is also somewhat inspired by SotC, but I also find it to be Zelda-ish in nature as well.  There's a decent amount of puzzles, and each little area ends up being its own puzzle, as opposed to having set dungeons.  It's a fun game, and pretty cheap these days.

I think Gideon covered the others.  :)
For what shall it profit a man, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?  -- Mark 8:36

Garoth Moulinoski

• Disliking that smoke.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2011, 10:34:02 pm »
Regarding Demon's/Dark Souls, they're not really about luck or twitchiness or anything like that. The controls are *very* deliberate and do pretty much exactly what you want, so if you screw up it really is your fault (you probably panicked.) They're honestly closer to roguelikes than anything else, in that they're as much about the player learning as they are about the player's character stats improving. But unlike roguelikes, there is very little random element to them.

Regarding Folklore, it's basically a dungeon crawl. There are some external paths to explore, a good amount of optional sidequests, and two characters that play entirely differently. It's chaptered, so you'll unlock the next dungeon as you complete the previous. They're all connected to a hub, and there are generally good reasons to backtrack - usually you've received new folk who can access new paths in old areas.

Regarding Valkyria, yeah, it's basically strategy+action. You get a set number of movements per turn, and you can spend them on whichever of your units you want - even on the same unit multiple times, though their move range is decreased for each consecutive action. When you pick a unit, it drops you down into an action view, and you get shot at by enemies in range while you reposition. You can usually line up a single salvo, which can range from one shot to many depending on which weapon or abilities your character has. There's some Fire Emblem/Advance Wars class-based unit-to-unit strengths/weaknesses going on too. It's pretty cool, and there's a definite strong strategy element to it. It gets hard pretty fast.

Edit:
Regarding Ico/SotC, they're pretty much just up-rezzed ports, yeah. Ico has the benefits that the PAL version added - on repeat playthroughs you can enable discernible subtitles for Yorda's text, you get a light sword, second player can control Yorda, etc. But otherwise, yeah, just up-rezzed ports.

Hmm, maybe I'll look into Demon's/Dark Soul then. It's too late to look into them atm :P

I'm not sure how much I want Valkyria Chronicles. I'm fine with strategy games and I guess I don't mind them much on a console (I prefer them on handhelds for some reason). But the action sequences are kinda scaring me. The last time I played a game like that was SD Gundam something or another, which- while fun- had me going from having a good strategy to me falling to my knees simply because I sucked at the action sequences.

I may look into getting Folklore and Ico/SotC since at least ICO gets some benefits. Thanks!

Actually, Darksiders has a pretty heavy amount of Zelda elements.  It just takes a more...  extreme approach to combat.

R&C is certainly a platformer in a somewhat similar vein to Jak, but I find them far better because of their emphasis on a vast arsenal of weaponry, not to mention a sharper sense of humor.  To me, it's almost Mega Man-ish, if it were combined with a "modern" platformer.

Majin is also somewhat inspired by SotC, but I also find it to be Zelda-ish in nature as well.  There's a decent amount of puzzles, and each little area ends up being its own puzzle, as opposed to having set dungeons.  It's a fun game, and pretty cheap these days.

I think Gideon covered the others.  :)

So, Darksiders is basically a bloodier Zelda? I can live with that. There isn't a lot of the whole experience/level up stuff in it, or is there?

I might give Rachet and Clank a try, then. Which one should I get for cheap but also fun?

I might go for Majin as well, but I'm going to do a comparison (if I can, when I can) on the XBox and PS3 versions.

Thanks for the recommendations!
Who will quote me next?

DarknessSavior

• Darkness.
    • View Profile
    • DS: No, not the Nintendo one.
« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2011, 01:01:55 am »
My PS3 recommendations:

Monster Hunter Portable 3rd HD - Enough said.

Dead Rising 2 - If you've never played one of these games, you owe it to yourself. They're awesome. This one in particular ups the fun count by a ton, adds the capability for MANY more zombies on screen, and adds the ability to make combo weapons (example: boxing gloves + machete = wolverine gloves. Or baseball bat + nails = nail bat. There's a lot more fun ones, too. Like flashlight + gems = lightsaber).

I'll also say Valkyria Chronicles. I played the sequel with a friend while I was in Japan, and I loved it.

Since you like Dynasty Warriors, I'll also throw the Hokuto Musou/Fist of the North Star: Ken's Rage game out there. It follows the plotline of the manga fairly well, and it's definitely worth looking into if you're a fan of the Musou games.

White Knight Chronicles is a very interesting RPG. You make your own character, very customizable, and the combat system is somewhat unique. It's fairly action-oriented, but you enter commands like a turn-based RPG. The battles are huge, kinda reminds me of Monster Hunter when you find yourself against a giant monster (and you do from the very beginning, once the plot starts).

If you don't already have it? Skyrim would also be an obvious choice. As would something like L.A. Noire.

I'll add more as I think of them.

~DS
Red Comet: :'( Poor DS. Nobody loves him like RC does. :'(
Sliver-X: LET ME INFRINGE UPON IT WITH MY MOUTH
DSRH - Currently working on: Demon's Blazon, Romancing SaGa, FFIV EasyType.
http://www.youtube.com/user/DarknessSavior

Corsair

• Celestial Crown
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2011, 01:18:06 am »
Regarding DS: Everything Gid said about it.
I really don't think Demon's souls is as hardcore as people make it out to be. The fact that dying means you have to start the current level over makes some parts seem harder than they actually are because they're -tense-, and having to waste all those resources on another trip is a pain - you don't -want- to make that trip again so tehre's some incentiv to actually pay attention to what you're doing, instead of losing 3-4 minutes of progress due to an overabundance of checkpoints. But you do get more powerful, and aside from the lack of resources, constantly dying only makes you stronger.

Plus you get to customize your character's face! even though he/she is going to be ugly no matter how much time you spend on it...

Garoth Moulinoski

• Disliking that smoke.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 28, 2011, 07:46:55 am »
My PS3 recommendations:

Monster Hunter Portable 3rd HD - Enough said.

Dead Rising 2 - If you've never played one of these games, you owe it to yourself. They're awesome. This one in particular ups the fun count by a ton, adds the capability for MANY more zombies on screen, and adds the ability to make combo weapons (example: boxing gloves + machete = wolverine gloves. Or baseball bat + nails = nail bat. There's a lot more fun ones, too. Like flashlight + gems = lightsaber).

I'll also say Valkyria Chronicles. I played the sequel with a friend while I was in Japan, and I loved it.

Since you like Dynasty Warriors, I'll also throw the Hokuto Musou/Fist of the North Star: Ken's Rage game out there. It follows the plotline of the manga fairly well, and it's definitely worth looking into if you're a fan of the Musou games.

White Knight Chronicles is a very interesting RPG. You make your own character, very customizable, and the combat system is somewhat unique. It's fairly action-oriented, but you enter commands like a turn-based RPG. The battles are huge, kinda reminds me of Monster Hunter when you find yourself against a giant monster (and you do from the very beginning, once the plot starts).

If you don't already have it? Skyrim would also be an obvious choice. As would something like L.A. Noire.

I'll add more as I think of them.

~DS

That's right! I'd forgotten about MHP3 HD! I really liked it on the PSP- the PS3 version adds online or no?

I'm not into zombie stuff much, but from what I have seem from Dead Rising, it does look like a fun game. So, 2 over 1 then? I doubt there's any story or story connections between the first and second one, but if there are, please correct me!

Hokuto Musou... Sounds fitting! Reminds me that I have a good lot of the comic that I can read.

I tried out White Knight Chronicles for the PSP once. It was... okay. But I don't think I'd want to spend money on it. Maybe when it's super cheap, almost free, I might pick it up.

Skyrim and L.A. Noire are both multiplatform- any reason to choose their PS3 versions over their XBox versions? I see Skyrim as being Fallout 3 Medieval, which is okay. I enjoyed Fallout 3 enough to beat it. I've only heard good things about L.A. Noire but also things like a "Cop version of GTA" which sounds like it's another sandbox game. Those types of games generally bore me (although I know GTA has stories in it, but those sections usually take a backseat to the sandbox-quality to it).

Regarding DS: Everything Gid said about it.
I really don't think Demon's souls is as hardcore as people make it out to be. The fact that dying means you have to start the current level over makes some parts seem harder than they actually are because they're -tense-, and having to waste all those resources on another trip is a pain - you don't -want- to make that trip again so tehre's some incentiv to actually pay attention to what you're doing, instead of losing 3-4 minutes of progress due to an overabundance of checkpoints. But you do get more powerful, and aside from the lack of resources, constantly dying only makes you stronger.

Plus you get to customize your character's face! even though he/she is going to be ugly no matter how much time you spend on it...

Now, you're starting to draw me in. That doesn't sound bad at all and only makes it sound more like Dragon Quest in a ways. Too bad about not being able to do anything about your character's face though. :/ Sounds a lot like Fable and Fallout! Haha!
Who will quote me next?

KaioShin

• View Profile
    • The Romhacking Aerie
« Reply #11 on: November 28, 2011, 07:58:46 am »
I haven't actually played it so take with a grain of salt, but from everything I've read L.A. Noire is more an interactive movie game than a sandbox one. Think Fahrenheit or Heavy Rain. Speaking of Heavy Rain, it's also one of the PS3 games that gets tons of press. You might want to look into that one too, though maybe it's overhyped seeing it didn't get mentioned here so far. I really shouldn't recommend games I haven't played, sorry :P

Ah but what I can talk about is Valkyria Chronicles. I haven't actually played this installment (heh!), but I did play the shit out of VC2 on the PSP and beat it too. Fantastic game, I love it. Don't be afraid of the action sequences, they are very slow and deliberate, it's really not about aiming good or reacting fast, but about choosing where to move and what to attack, just like in any turn based strategy game.

Gideon Zhi

• IRC Staff
    • View Profile
    • Aeon Genesis
« Reply #12 on: November 28, 2011, 09:39:15 am »
I have Heavy Rain but I haven't really tried it yet, so I can't recommend it in good faith. The demo was neat, though. The general opinion on selectbutton is that it's more a product of hype and froth than it is actual good gameplay, though.

DankPanties

• retired
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 28, 2011, 10:00:21 am »
The general opinion on selectbutton is that it's more a product of hype and froth than it is actual good gameplay, though.

Just like every other thing Quantic Dream has done...

The only game I want for PS3 is The Last Guardian.

What Defines A Monster?

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 28, 2011, 10:35:02 am »
So. I got me a PS3 and I already have me eyes set on MGS4

Ok, I have a title I can recommend for you then, since you mentioned this one- the Metal Gear Solid HD Collection. Not only do you get high resolution, silky-smooth framerate versions of Metal Gear Solid 2: Substance AND Metal Gear Solid 3: Subsistence, you get a special version of MGS: Peace Walker designed for the PS3 that can also transfer saves back and forth between the console version and the PSP version.

All on one disc.

Seriously, it's totally worth the thirty or forty bucks they charge for it.
What sayest thou, o fool? I say that religion hath done my bidding for me- while ye pretend free will exists, ye take it away and convert by force. Such is ye, who do my work.

MegaManJuno

• Robot Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 28, 2011, 10:42:19 am »
I haven't actually played it so take with a grain of salt, but from everything I've read L.A. Noire is more an interactive movie game than a sandbox one.

Pretty much. Granted, I've only really put time in on GTA3 before... while it did have a similar feel, it's much more focused and limited in what you can do. You can "free roam" the city, but there's only really the "street crime" cases to respond to and finding "hidden" things (movie reels, landmarks, rare cars, etc.) to do in that mode.

Panzer88

• GENO means ♥♪!?
    • View Profile
    • Gangsta City
« Reply #16 on: November 28, 2011, 02:07:58 pm »
think of Uncharted as Jak and Daxter meets Tomb Raider with a lot more cinematic sequences like God of War/Resident Evil 4+/Shenmue with a cover shooting system like Gears of War/Stranglehold

Ni No Kuni -- epic stuff, will be localized to the USA soon.

Valkyria Chronicles

Ico, Nico (SotC)

Metal Gear Solid HD Collection

Resident Evil 5, RE4 HD

Mod Nation Racers

Yakuza 3, Yakuza 4

Enslaved

Uncharted, 2, and 3

Tales of Vesperia, Tales of Graces, Tales of Xillia

------
RPG:
------

Eternal Sonata

Final Fantasy XIII

Resonance of Fate

White Knight Chronicles, White Knight Chronicles 2

Star Ocean IV: The Last Hope International

Disgaea 3, 4

-----
PLATFORMERS:
-----

Rayman Origins

Little Big Planet, LBP2

Infamous, Infamous 2

Sonic Generations

Assasin's Creed, Assasin's Creed 2, Assasin's Creed: Brotherhood, Assasins Creed: Revalations

God of War HD Collection, God of War 3

Heavenly Sword

----
RACING:
----

Wipeout HD Fury

Gran Turismo 5

Twisted Metal

MotorStorm, Pacific Rift, Apocalypse

Need for Speed Shift 2: Unleashed

----
FIGHTING:
----

King of Fighters XIII

Tekken Hybrid

BlazBlue: Continuum Shift II

Super Street Fighter IV: Arcade Edition

Street Fighter III: 3rd Strike Online Edition

Ultimate Marvel Vs. Capcom 3

Soul Calibur 4

----
OTHER:
----

Brütal Legend

Child of Eden

Front Mission Evolved

Warhawk

Nier

Mass Effect 2

Grand Theft Auto 4

Red Dead Redepmtion

LA Noire

Killzone 2, Killzone 3

Resistance, 2, 3

Ratchet & Clank Future, 2, 3

Shadows of the Damned

No More Heroes Paradise

Tomb Raider Trilogy

Vanquish

Heavy Rain

Haze

Lair

-------
UPCOMING:
-------

Starhawk

Ridge Racer Unbounded

The Last Guardian

Final Fantasy Versus XIII

Final Fantasy XIII-2

Lollipop Chainsaw

Virtua Fighter 5 Final Showdown

Street Fighter X Tekken

Tekken X Street Fighter

Tekken Tag Tournament II

BlazBlue: Continuum Shift Extend

Dead or Alive 5

Soul Calibur V

Mass Effect 3

Devil May Cry Reboot

Tomb Raider Reboot

Final Fantasy X HD
« Last Edit: November 28, 2011, 11:55:02 pm by Panzer88 »
Donate now until 24 April, from the makers of shotwell Geary: a new open-source email client

Kyrael Seraphine

• Iiiiiii want your sooouuuulllllll...
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 28, 2011, 02:26:11 pm »
Just like every other thing Quantic Dream has done...

After Omikron, they don't need to do anything else, they've hit their peak.

Speaking as someone who put a lot of time into WKC, it's... okay? I had fun playing with friends, romping around the levels online. The story is okay, I guess. You need to go through the story anyway, to play anything online, so you'd have to play it. The online component degenerates quickly into an item and level grind, though. Max level isn't hard to reach, but then you need to grind out Guild Level, and them you need to grind mats to make the higher end equipment, etc etc. Having a crafting component is pretty cool, and the quests aren't all "go here and kill X badgers." Don't bother with WKC1, though. WKC1 is included with WKC2, and there are all sorts of balancing changes that were made.

Garoth Moulinoski

• Disliking that smoke.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 28, 2011, 08:38:41 pm »
I haven't actually played it so take with a grain of salt, but from everything I've read L.A. Noire is more an interactive movie game than a sandbox one. Think Fahrenheit or Heavy Rain. Speaking of Heavy Rain, it's also one of the PS3 games that gets tons of press. You might want to look into that one too, though maybe it's overhyped seeing it didn't get mentioned here so far. I really shouldn't recommend games I haven't played, sorry :P

Ah but what I can talk about is Valkyria Chronicles. I haven't actually played this installment (heh!), but I did play the shit out of VC2 on the PSP and beat it too. Fantastic game, I love it. Don't be afraid of the action sequences, they are very slow and deliberate, it's really not about aiming good or reacting fast, but about choosing where to move and what to attack, just like in any turn based strategy game.

Well, that (and what MegamanJuno said about LA Noire) dissuades my fears about both games- I'll look into them now, and I can even sample Valkyria Chronicles if you say there's a PSP version (I thought it sounded familiar). I'll look into Heavy Rain as well, when I can.

Ok, I have a title I can recommend for you then, since you mentioned this one- the Metal Gear Solid HD Collection. Not only do you get high resolution, silky-smooth framerate versions of Metal Gear Solid 2: Substance AND Metal Gear Solid 3: Subsistence, you get a special version of MGS: Peace Walker designed for the PS3 that can also transfer saves back and forth between the console version and the PSP version.

All on one disc.

Seriously, it's totally worth the thirty or forty bucks they charge for it.

I already played all the games in the collection and only lack Peace Walker to own. If anything, I'd get it simply to add PW to my collection and to be able to play Metal Gear 2, since I've never gotten a chance to.

Panzer: Holy Jesus man!! XD That's a lot of recommendations. I have kept my eye on Ni no Kuni, although I later on had read it was pretty much another mon game. Not sure how to take that... But it sure it is pretty and colorful!

I've heard good things about Yakuza. You recommend 3 and 4, so I take it I don't need to play 1 and 2?

Both you and DP mention The Last Remnant. Is that an RPG? I'd check it out myself, but I'm sorta writing this against time now. :P Dern homeworks!

I wouldn't get Disgaea after I've tried it out for PSP and DS. It has plenty of charm, but the gameplay feels like a massive grindfest- and when I say that, most people say that that's all there is to it. So, knowing that people agree with my observations, I just left the games well alone since I was getting tired of repeating stages in order to level my characters up for the later stages.

Any reason to pick Sonic Generations for PS3? I can pick it up for PS3, Xbox, 3DS, and I think Wii. I know what obvious difference there is for the 3DS version (it's in THREE DEE GAIS!), and I know that I shouldn't get it for the Wii, so that leaves PS3 and Xbox... But why choose PS3 over Xbox?

I'm surprised that under Racing, you didn't have a Ridge Racer game... I'm pretty sure there's a PS3 RR... Is it bad, or have simply not played it? That's one game I'm interested in looking into, however... Nevermind! You mention Ridge Racer in upcoming games! Could've sworn there was one already out for it, though, but I generally like RR enough to even play it on a cell phone! XD

Gran Turismo and NfS I might pick up as well.

I'm sure I sure pick up Marvel vs Capcom 3, or at the very least, Street Fighter IV, for those times when I have friends over. Since I already have MvC2 for PS2, getting the next one in another Sony console seems like a good idea to me.

Another game in your list I appreciate you telling me about, but I don't find myself getting, is Final Fantasy X HD. I have the PS2 one, so what's the advantage of getting the HD version? Specially when I didn't enjoy the first one. :/ Does it have the international version's pluses?

I also don't know what to think of your description of Uncharted. O_O Sounds like it could either be awesome or terrible; but since so many people recommend it, I can only imagine it has plenty of merit...

On a closing note: Lollipop Chainsaw?! WTF?! I'd pick up out of sheer curiosity alone!! XD
Who will quote me next?

SargeSmash

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 28, 2011, 09:37:34 pm »
I was not aware that The Last Remnant ever got released on PS3.  I certainly don't remember seeing it out, although the game was slated to be multiplatform.  The PC version is supposed to be better than the 360 version.  Less limits on leader units in unions (with a difficulty bump to compensate), and many less technical issues if you have the beef to run it properly.  The 360 version is well-nigh unplayable without installing to the hard drive.

Come to think of it, there's also not a PS3 version of Infinite Undiscovery.  Unless there is a Japanese version.  I must admit to not keeping track of most Japanese releases that don't hit Stateside.