logo
 drop

Main

Community

Submissions

Help

81742339 visitors

Author Topic: Rondo of Blood English Patch (PSP to TurboGrafx-CD).  (Read 36791 times)

reyvgm

• View Profile
Re: Rondo of Blood PSP dub for PC-Engine.
« Reply #60 on: January 15, 2012, 08:09:43 pm »
I don't have that font in lowercase. Plus, I think it looks more authentic and "videogame-y" in all caps :P

tomaitheous

• View Profile
    • PC Engine Dev
« Reply #61 on: January 15, 2012, 10:26:16 pm »
Burnt Lasagna: PM'd first sign port patch. New version is now finished (town of aljiba).

Burnt Lasagna

• View Profile
« Reply #62 on: January 15, 2012, 10:58:57 pm »
Burnt Lasagna: PM'd first sign port patch. New version is now finished (town of aljiba).
Just tested it out.
Everything seems to work alright and the sign reads nicely (like the all caps font by the way). I like new translations for the signpost as well.

I noticed this also has the new font for the intro in it, which also looks great and is easy to read.
As always, magnificent work Tom :thumbsup:
What Button Do You Press To Jump!?!

tomaitheous

• View Profile
    • PC Engine Dev
« Reply #63 on: January 15, 2012, 11:10:43 pm »
Just tested it out.
Everything seems to work alright and the sign reads nicely (like the all caps font by the way). I like new translations for the signpost as well.

I noticed this also has the new font for the intro in it, which also looks great and is easy to read.
As always, magnificent work Tom :thumbsup:

Ohh.. I must have used the original-original as the source against the new ISO for making the patch. Yeah, the intro needs more work still (consider that part  a WIP until all text related stuffs is finished). Just waiting for cubanraul to get a feel for it and see other support/tweaks it needs. But I have other stuff in the game to work on mean time to keep me busy.

reyvgm

• View Profile
« Reply #64 on: January 15, 2012, 11:18:02 pm »
What's going to happen with the credits?

marioxb

• View Profile
« Reply #65 on: January 16, 2012, 12:44:21 am »
Almost finished...

Found a tricky part of code in the title sequence. If you press start to skip the intro, to go directly to the title screen (you can't do this if there is no save file), it loads alternate data for the title screen: SAT and PAL data. So I tracked those down and changed those as well. As you can see, final animation phase/stage of the title screen SAT data is finished. I just have to modify the two other animation frame SATs.

That's really nice, but I always liked the American SNES title and title screen. I personally call the TG16 game, Castlevania: Dracula X: Rondo of Blood

reyvgm

• View Profile
« Reply #66 on: January 16, 2012, 01:05:41 am »
That's really nice, but I always liked the American SNES title and title screen. I personally call the TG16 game, Castlevania: Dracula X: Rondo of Blood

Heh, that's the name I like too.

DarknessSavior

• Darkness.
    • View Profile
    • DS: No, not the Nintendo one.
« Reply #67 on: January 16, 2012, 01:50:08 am »
Agreed. Except I would probably do "Castlevania: Dracula X - Rondo of Blood" or "Castlevania Dracula X: Rondo of Blood". Two colons looks bad, to me.

And if you do that, you get to keep the cool looking "X" in the title screen. Win-win, I'd say.

~DS
Red Comet: :'( Poor DS. Nobody loves him like RC does. :'(
Sliver-X: LET ME INFRINGE UPON IT WITH MY MOUTH
DSRH - Currently working on: Demon's Blazon, Romancing SaGa, FFIV EasyType.
http://www.youtube.com/user/DarknessSavior

Sliver X

• Exanimus Machina
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: January 16, 2012, 02:40:20 am »
Agreed. Except I would probably do "Castlevania: Dracula X - Rondo of Blood" or "Castlevania Dracula X: Rondo of Blood". Two colons looks bad, to me.

And if you do that, you get to keep the cool looking "X" in the title screen. Win-win, I'd say.

~DS

I guess if you wanted to be pedantic "Castlevania X: Rondo of Blood" would probably be the most appropriate way to phrase it, since "Demon Castle Dracula" is the name for CV in japan.

But then again, they made that crappy SNES game starring Richter and called it "Dracula X", so hey.

reyvgm

• View Profile
« Reply #69 on: January 16, 2012, 03:34:14 am »
Well, to me, Demon Castle is Castlevania. So Demon Castle Dracula X would be Castlevania Dracula X. Suits it nice.

Vanya

• View Profile
« Reply #70 on: January 16, 2012, 03:52:11 am »
I like that version of the title too, but Sliver is correct.
On a side note, that means SotN should have been "Castlevania X: Nocturne in the Moonlight", too.
The question then is, do you wanna be more go more in line with the SNES localization, the SotN localization, or a more accurate localization?
Personally I'd make a couple extra title screens and let people choose which one they like best.

@Tom: Now that you were able to make the custom title graphics work how difficult would it be for me to insert my own graphics once the patch is out?
« Last Edit: January 16, 2012, 04:04:01 am by Vanya »

Spooniest

• View Profile
« Reply #71 on: January 16, 2012, 06:28:38 am »
I agree on this one. SOTN, which belongs to the Dracula X series as a direct sequel to Rondo of Blood, never had the X in the occidental prints.

This seemed reasonable to me, as per

So if you were actually being pedantic, it should just read Castlevania: Rondo of Blood.
- 鳥なき里の蝙蝠
- 本末転倒
- 愚考山を移す  - Mt 17:20, I believe...:)

Burnt Lasagna

• View Profile
« Reply #72 on: January 16, 2012, 10:30:38 am »
I've gotten this question allot and I've always gone with the response "The official name for the game in English is Castlevania: Rondo of Blood therefore that’s what it will be in the patch".

What to call the game was more up in there air when the project first started back in 2004, but since then Konami has brought the game out on the PSP and VC and gave it a concrete name (Castlevania: Rondo of Blood). So changing it now would just cause confusion and screw up continuity.

pemdawg

• View Profile
« Reply #73 on: January 16, 2012, 11:11:32 am »
Hey all! Just popping inquickly to say I am on here now, and I will be actively posting about my contributions and opinions concerning this project. Anyone with questions is welcome to PM me. I think you will all be impressed and pleased with the final product, and the art/manual is coming along nicely. I will try to post some samplessoon, but I do not want to spoil some of the better surprises!

Ialso wanted to take a moment to thank Tomaitheous, ReyVGM (LostLevels shoutout,) Sadler from PCEnngineFX forums, everyone else who is contributing, cubanraul for not deleting the old workfiles, and of course BurntLasagna for kicking this project in the pants after cuban and I hit the wall.

Burnt Lasagna

• View Profile
« Reply #74 on: January 16, 2012, 11:20:04 am »
I plan on beginning work on hacking in an English title screen to the peke mini game.
The title screen isn't compressed so the actual hacking aspects I can handle by my self. The thing is tho is that it doesn't have a proper translation for it, even the PSP version just has a romanized Japanese name for it, which I don't want to use.

Here is both title screens from the PC-Engine and PSP release, if someone could try and translated it that would be much appreciated. 

PSP                                                                                                              PC-Engine

January 16, 2012, 11:22:17 am - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)
pemdawg: Great to see your on romhacking.net now!  :thumbsup:

Vanya

• View Profile
« Reply #75 on: January 16, 2012, 12:58:31 pm »
The peke means this: (ペケ only) impossibility; futility; uselessness. It is over the X meaning that's how it's pronounced.
Also: × 【ばつ; ぺけ; ペケ】 (n) (1) (See 罰点) x-mark (used to indicate an incorrect answer in a test, etc.)
So... Castlevania: (wrong) X?
That's the closest possible translation I cn come up with.

Quick Mock up:

Did this a couple of days ago, too:
« Last Edit: January 16, 2012, 01:37:41 pm by Vanya »

tomaitheous

• View Profile
    • PC Engine Dev
« Reply #76 on: January 16, 2012, 01:37:59 pm »

@Tom: Now that you were able to make the custom title graphics work how difficult would it be for me to insert my own graphics once the patch is out?

Well, technically you can edit the new graphics/sprites cells that I inserted into ISO; it's no longer compressed data. But I completely removed the X slashing animation. And on top of that, I only inserted enough sprite cells to make the new screen and not all of vram - nor did I hack the SAT (sprite attribute table) remaining entries to show at the edges of the new title screen. So even if you did modify the title screen with just the existing sprite cells (probably removing the tall parts of the C), you'd still need to hack the SAT itself.

If the game had been localized (by TTi) for the US Duo, however late in life for the system, I wonder what they would have done. Either way though, I not picky about it since the SNES "version" is the only related localized game to get the X in the title. If there's enough demand, I wouldn't have a problem creating an alt title screen. As it is, I think Burnt Lasagna is going to give the option to patch back in the original Japanese title screen - so hey, why not ;)

Burnt Lasagna: PM'd second sign post patch.
What's going to happen with the credits?

I was original gonna look at them next, but I think I might just tackle the ferryman text/problem first.

Stage 4' ferryman text:

He gives the two extra screens of text if you persistently jump in and out of the boat again.

Burnt Lasagna

• View Profile
« Reply #77 on: January 16, 2012, 01:42:23 pm »
The peke means this: (ペケ only) impossibility; futility; uselessness. It is over the X meaning that's how it's pronounced.
Also: × 【ばつ; ぺけ; ペケ】 (n) (1) (See 罰点) x-mark (used to indicate an incorrect answer in a test, etc.)
So... Castlevania: (wrong) X?
That's the closest possible translation I cn come up with.
Hmm... I know the name of the stage in this mini game is called "The Fate of Blood Must Be Cut With The SUPER CD-ROM2"
So how about "Castlevania wrong Destiny" (since the X is no longer in the title).   

EDIT:
Burnt Lasagna: PM'd second sign post patch.
 I was original gonna look at them next, but I think I might just tackle the ferryman text/problem first.
Great, I'll be testing it soon.

Vanya

• View Profile
« Reply #78 on: January 16, 2012, 01:47:52 pm »
I think the X in the mini game stands on it's own apart from the one in the main game.
It shouldn't be removed even if it loses some of it's double meaning.
Hell, that in itself might even be a good reason to go with "Castlevania X: Rondo of Blood" for the title translation.
As long as Tom is willing to put the X back, why not?

One of my philosophies in translation/game design is to never take away from the original content if possible; only add to it.

DarknessSavior

• Darkness.
    • View Profile
    • DS: No, not the Nintendo one.
« Reply #79 on: January 16, 2012, 01:55:03 pm »
いいところへ案内しよう - Allow me to take you somewhere nice.

さらにいいものをやろう - As a bonus, I'll give you this gift.

もう来るなよ - Don't come back again.

~DS
Red Comet: :'( Poor DS. Nobody loves him like RC does. :'(
Sliver-X: LET ME INFRINGE UPON IT WITH MY MOUTH
DSRH - Currently working on: Demon's Blazon, Romancing SaGa, FFIV EasyType.
http://www.youtube.com/user/DarknessSavior