logo
 drop

Main

Community

Submissions

Help

86096361 visitors

Author Topic: Crystal Beans : From Dungeon Explorer (SNES)  (Read 21073 times)

FallenAngel2387

• View Profile
Re: Crystal Beans : From Dungeon Explorer (SNES)
« Reply #60 on: February 14, 2012, 10:22:36 pm »
Got a bug for ya, the good news(I think) is that it's seemingly late in the game.
Spoiler:
When you're ready for the Hidden Island of Daemonth, going back to the library in Rubens, and reading about Daemonth, the part that says "The 15 Demons, the followers of the Evil God Daemonth, seem to have been created from his own body" the word "body" doesn't fit, and isn't placed in the next set of text, so it tries to overwrite "The 15," and it temporarily messes up the character graphic.

Update: beat the game, and that was the only thing, aside from an increasingly common grammar error(should have or should've, not should of)

Edit: It's now in the site's database, if you wanted to make an announcement
« Last Edit: February 16, 2012, 08:14:32 am by FallenAngel2387 »

Hiei-

• View Profile
« Reply #61 on: February 16, 2012, 12:02:51 pm »
I'll wait a bit to see if some peoples spot some other things that need to be fixed, then I'll ask my friend to do a 1.1 patch :)

About the news, I just did one, only need to wait now.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2012, 12:10:56 pm by Hiei- »

xnamkcor

• View Profile
« Reply #62 on: February 18, 2012, 03:35:52 am »
SNES Station displays the text incorrectly.
This is probably due to some sort of lack of 512 resolution support, but I'll report it for the sake of completeness.
Also, SNES9x plays it fine.

Hiei-

• View Profile
« Reply #63 on: February 19, 2012, 05:19:57 am »
Yeah, probably, because the french version has been tested on the real hardware/zsnes/bsnes and is working fine, so it should be the same for the english version.

Try "Secret of Mana". If I remember right, the menus texts are in "high-res" (512), at least the first menu where it ask you to enter your name. If it's also displayed incorrectly, it's because of that.

CharlieF

• View Profile
« Reply #64 on: March 02, 2012, 11:21:09 am »
Are you planning to release an updated version soon?

Coconuts 500

• View Profile
« Reply #65 on: March 08, 2012, 04:21:54 pm »
I am playing this on real hardware (using a flash cartridge). There are no problems.

:)

Hiei-

• View Profile
« Reply #66 on: March 09, 2012, 07:40:27 am »
Dunno. There's not a lot of things to fix but PennyWise sent me an updated version of the text files so I might ask my friend to produce a 1.1 patch, I'll see with him.

@Coconuts 500 : Yes, we tested it on the real harware  ;)

Hiei-

• View Profile
« Reply #67 on: April 16, 2012, 02:33:52 am »
Some people asked for the tools to do a translation in their native language but my friend think his tools are rather creepy and don't really want to share them because of that (which I can understand after I gave a look to the translated rom, though it work, it's a big mess;D).

So I decided to redo the hack myself, which is pretty fast when you know how everything work (because of the big mess of the english version, I restarted the hack from the japanese version).

I worked during the night and the hack is near redone.

- Extraction/Insertion of the main script is working (I expanded the rom from 12 to 16 MB. As the game have 24-bits pointers for the main script, it's easier, faster and more efficient as it give 490 kb more for the main script. In the original translation, the 2-bytes/letter had been modified to 1-byte/letter but the way I handle the hack here would
produce a mess again if I would have used that, as well as less room for the texts).

There are a few other little things to do but the biggest part is redone.

Once it's ready, I'll produce a v1.1 english patch with the few modifications Pennywise sent me a while ago, then I'll release at the same time a pack of tools for people who want to translate the game in their own language.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2012, 07:14:08 am by Hiei- »

svambo

• View Profile
« Reply #68 on: July 04, 2012, 05:20:49 pm »
Did you ever finish that 1.1 version? I would still be very interested in the translation tools for Crystal Beans...

Bardoly

• View Profile
« Reply #69 on: September 24, 2012, 05:57:01 pm »
So, how is this project going?

I don't really do emulation at all, but what I do is to have someone with the necessary skills to create a SNES repro cartridge that I can then play in my actual SNES console.  So I want to know if this English-translated project is up to that level yet where the rom is 'stable' enough to be used to create a playable repro cart of.

Thank you.

Pennywise

• I'm curious
    • View Profile
    • Yojimbo's Translations
« Reply #70 on: September 24, 2012, 06:14:22 pm »
You've just mentioned one of the main reasons why I don't like repros. If there is a problem with the patch and it is updated, an older repro will not reflect said changes. Plus repros are generally considered a slap in the face as someone can make a repro in a short amount of time and sell it for a profit. While everyone involved in the hobby invests countless numbers of hours and releases it for free. However, there is a middle ground to all this. A flash cart such as a Powerpak is ideal for playing hacks and translations on hardware unless you're one of the *special* people who like to delude themselves into thinking that they're playing an official release.

Bardoly

• View Profile
« Reply #71 on: September 24, 2012, 08:36:49 pm »
Well, I'm definitely not in favor of repro makers making big bucks off of the many long hours put in for free by translators and hackers.  While I do collect games, I do play them, so I consider myself a 'gaming collector'.  I've tried emulation a little bit on a computer and with a Nintendo DS flash cart, and it just doesn't really work for me.  So what I've been doing lately is getting English-translated SNES repros from reputable non-gouging repro-makers and also trying to get the appropriate original Japanese cartridge, because that's how I roll.

Hiei-

• View Profile
« Reply #72 on: September 28, 2012, 01:34:56 am »
It's 100% stable and can be played on a real SNES without any crashing bugs.

Bardoly

• View Profile
« Reply #73 on: September 28, 2012, 08:48:11 am »
It's 100% stable and can be played on a real SNES without any crashing bugs.

Thank you for this info.

Hiei-

• View Profile
« Reply #74 on: September 30, 2012, 03:46:09 am »
In fact, if you want to make a repro cart, wait a few days.

A few typos in the script has been listed a while ago, and because of your message, I looked at the rom again and finally found a way to fix them without the old tools that I don't have (it will require to expand the rom to 2MB but that's not a big problem).

The problem was that the texts are mixed in a few banks, and so I couldn't really dump them without listing each pointer manually (so that's why my automatic script was failing). What I will do is move the whole text in the added 0.5 MB, manually modify the pointers then I'll be able to do an automatic script to dump/reinsert the scripts, allowing me to fix all the typos easily.

Pretty dumb from me to not having noticed that earlier  :-\

So if everything goes smoothly, I'll release a 1.1 patch in a few days fixing all the typos that has been reported to me.

Bardoly

• View Profile
« Reply #75 on: September 30, 2012, 10:06:44 am »
Wow!  That's great!  Thank you so much for your contribution to the retro gaming community!  I'm looking forward to the updated patch!

Hiei-

• View Profile
« Reply #76 on: September 30, 2012, 05:18:18 pm »
Okay, text hack redone and working. Tomorrow, I'll post the fixed script if anyone want to read it before releasing the 1.1 patch.

Then, I'll release some tools with the 1.1 patch to translate it in some others language (most of the special characters of several languages are readly added in the rom).

October 01, 2012, 06:25:34 am - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)
Here's the actual fixes :

While testing out your translation, I've noticed a few minor omissions:

Image #1 - Missing comma before "Heroes"
Image #2 - Missing apostrophe, should be "moment's notice"
Image #3 - The name is romanized as "Daemonth" elsewhere

Edit: Got a few more.

Image #4 - Unnecessary space before the first exclamation mark
Image #5 - Should be "resurrected"
Image #6 - Should be "identification"
Image #7 - Ellipsis cut off by the cursor
Image #8 - Missing last dot of the ellipsis
Image #9 - Should be "should've" instead of "should of"
Image #10 - Should be "particularly"; nitpick: was the British spelling of "flavour" intended?

Edit: Here's another batch.

Image #11 - More of a nitpick, but it sounds like comparing people to disasters. (what would you put instead?)
Image #12 - Missing punctuation after "What"
Image #13 - Multiple issues: "fortress" is cut off, another instance of "Demons" instead of "Daemonth", and a missing "s" in "on the orders of"
Image #14 - Multiple issues: the location is called "Marin Port" everywhere else; there should be "ended up" instead of "ended by"; nitpick: the second "I" can be ellided
Image #15 and Image #16 - The location is called "Thousand Spires" everywhere else
Image #17 - Nitpick: Though it's acceptable in informal speech, "was" should technically be "were"
Image #18 - The comma should be after "lord"
Image #19 - Should be "was weakened"
Image #20 - Should be "resurrected"

EDIT: Here's the last of them.

Image #21 - Only "Why" should be quoted or you could drop the quotation marks and insert a comma
Image #22 - Since the reference is to the preceding sentence, "that" should be used instead of "it" for clarity
Image #23 - Nitpick: "Gem Piece" sounds more natural
Image #24 - Should be "treasures", since there are more than one
Image #25 - Since you're talking about the voice and not the goddess herself, "itself" would be more fitting
Image #26 - Both clauses should be joined because the sentence fragment cannot stand on its own

All of them are not fixed yet because the host of the pictures is actually down and I need some pictures for some to be sure which dialog it is. Once the host is online again, I'll fix the remaining ones then post the script.

October 01, 2012, 07:09:02 am - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)
Here's the actual script : http://ks353712.kimsufi.com/CB_main_script_us.txt

If you see anything that need to be fixed, feel free to post here. Don't forget to give the pointer (if there are two, the first pointer is enough) or to directly copy-paste.

Then, I'll release in a few days a 1.1 patch, as well as the extract/reinsert tool for the main script and the intro for others languages (the others things can easily be modified manually, as the rom new feature ASCII text).

The special characters the rom actually support are (added when we did the french translation, though we only used a few, we put as much as we can in) :

C9=É
E0=à
E1=á
E2=â
E3=ã
E4=ä
E5=å
E6=æ
E7=ç
E8=è
E9=é
EA=ê
EB=ë
EC=ì
ED=í
EE=î
EF=ï
F0=ð
F1=ñ
F2=ò
F3=ó
F4=ô
F5=õ
F6=ö
F7=÷
F8=ø
F9=ù
FA=ú
FB=û
FC=ü
FD=ý
FE=þ
FF=ÿ

But if needed, the font can be modified. I'll probably have the font decompressor/compressor compiled as the same time that the extract/reinsert tools.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2012, 02:50:51 am by Hiei- »

Bardoly

• View Profile
« Reply #77 on: October 03, 2012, 06:12:11 pm »
Thank you for your continued work on this project, and I'm really looking forward to playing this in English soon!

Hiei-

• View Profile
« Reply #78 on: October 04, 2012, 05:00:45 am »
The 1.1 version is pretty much done, I will wait a few more days to see if there is some more correction to be done to the script.

Then, I'll test the game again and if everything is okay, I'll release the 1.1 version.

About the tools to translate it in others languages, it's also pretty much done. Intro, places names, main script, ending and staff are done (can be extracted and reinserted).

I don't think I will do an extractor/reinserter for the misc texts because it's pretty much useless. Character names will stay the same, whatever the language the game is translated so basically, there is only four sentences in it which need to be translated :

- Yes / No
- 1P/2P/3P
- Select the number of players.
- Continue ?

As those are fixed length texts, and that the new english texts is now ASCII, it would just require to open "Hex Workshop, search the text, translate it manually and it's done. But I will  maybe do an extractor/reinserter, I'll see.

The extractor/reinsert of the font is compiled (for Windows) and working, so just need to do the extractor/reinserter for the few graphics and it will be over.

Bardoly

• View Profile
« Reply #79 on: October 04, 2012, 07:21:17 pm »
Thank you for this update.