logo
 drop

Main

Community

Submissions

Help

81883556 visitors

Author Topic: Saturn games worth checking out?  (Read 1453 times)

Spooniest

• View Profile
Saturn games worth checking out?
« on: October 12, 2011, 09:52:31 am »
I'm thinking of getting a Sega Saturn again, after many years. What games are there that are worth playing?

When I had a Saturn, I had a copy of Virtua Fighter 2, Street Fighter Alpha 2, Virtua Cop, Dungeons and Dragons Collection, and various other games I was able to get cheaply that I never played (Dragonheart and whatnot).

So the question I ask is, what games are out there that'd be worth the time to track down?
- 鳥なき里の蝙蝠
- 本末転倒
- 愚考山を移す  - Mt 17:20, I believe...:)

SargeSmash

• View Profile
Re: Saturn games worth checking out?
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2011, 10:38:30 am »
Depends on what you're looking for, and if you're prepared to mod or do the swap trick.  I'd recommend the former, personally.

My favorite games on the system are Panzer Dragoon Saga, Shining the Holy Ark, Shining Force 3, Radiant Silvergun, and Guardian Heroes.  There are more that are worth playing.  It might be easiest to link over to RacketBoy, there's a good list of both seminal games for the platform as well as hidden gems in the library.
For what shall it profit a man, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?  -- Mark 8:36

Spooniest

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2011, 10:55:43 am »
Who am I kidding? I'm getting it for Virtua Cop and a pair of Stunners.

Seriously, though, thanks for the info, Sarge. Salute!
- 鳥なき里の蝙蝠
- 本末転倒

SargeSmash

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2011, 11:00:03 am »
Make sure you have a CRT to use with the guns, if you do that.  They won't work on LCD / plasma TVs.  :P
For what shall it profit a man, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?  -- Mark 8:36

Spooniest

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2011, 11:07:09 am »
Oh, son of a--

There's got to be a fix for that. Seriously, there are gaping holes in the technology market these days.
- 鳥なき里の蝙蝠
- 本末転倒

burn_654

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2011, 12:30:36 pm »
Definitely - Bulk Slash, Battle Garegga, Radiant Silvergun, Astal, NiGHTS, and Saturn Bomberman if you have a crowd you play multi games with  :beer: It's probably the best version of Bomberman I've played and goes to ten players on one screen.

Spooniest

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2011, 12:34:44 pm »
I'm this close to reverse engineering a modern lightgun to work with the Sega Saturn, but I do thank you for the suggestions.

This makes me think of a new question-- isn't there enough of a collector market for these companies, who own the rights to this proprietary technology, to re-market these classic systems? Just because a game doesn't flaunt the latest in computer technology doesn't mean it's not fun. This "industry of obsolesence" nonsense has gone far enough, don't y'all think?
- 鳥なき里の蝙蝠
- 本末転倒

SargeSmash

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2011, 12:42:40 pm »
Well, there sort of is a market, at least for the NES / SNES / Genesis.  There are tons of clones out there being sold, of varying quality.  As for something like the Saturn or the PSX, I suspect Sega and Sony still own the rights to the design of the consoles.  We'll probably see "legit" clones eventually for those as well.

EDIT:  Also, why bother with the old hardware when you can emulate and put it out on a modern console?  That seems to be the current plan, at least officially from the console manufacturers.  I'd be willing to wager Sega makes far more money on re-releasing its older games on the various download services than if they tried to resuscitate their hardware market.  At any rate, technology marches inexorably forward, and there's pretty much no stopping it.

EDIT 2:  Not that I'm against the idea, mind you!  I love the older hardware.  I just don't think there's enough of a market outside of the hardcore retro enthusiasts, many of whom populate this board.  :D

Spooniest

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2011, 12:47:14 pm »
What in the name of Zeus' butthole is Sega going to do with the rights to the design of the Saturn? They aren't even in the hardware market anymore. It's like the marketing departments for these companies are from Mars, I swear.
- 鳥なき里の蝙蝠
- 本末転倒

SargeSmash

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2011, 01:00:22 pm »
I think it's mostly a patent issue.  They still hold quite a few.  The same was / is true of the NES.  Some of those patents have expired, some have not.  It's doubtful that Nintendo will really go to much trouble chasing down people that make clone hardware at this point.  I mean, they don't support the system anymore, so while Nintendo could go after these guys for making clones, they probably won't.  I suspect many of the patents are still active on the Saturn.

Also, one has to think, with all the moving parts of the Saturn / PSX (and later) consoles, there's more of a cost involved.  Whereas the previous clones are pretty much all solid-state, SoC designs, you get more cost overheads with the Saturn.  Most of these companies are kind of chipping away at the fringes, and keeping production costs down is huge.  The more engineering involved, the less likely they produce a console.

Corsair

• Celestial Crown
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2011, 01:00:25 pm »
Keep in ind that shining force III ends on cliffhanger, because it's really only about 30% of the whole story. The latter thirds were of course never localized.

But you can still play them in English, of course

SargeSmash

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2011, 01:03:21 pm »
There's a nice translation project going that has made significant headway on that front, thankfully.  I'm waiting on finishing SF3 so I can roll right into Scenarios 2 & 3.

EDIT:  Probably what you're referring to, Corsair.  Got to give proper credit.  :D

Spooniest

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 12, 2011, 01:14:26 pm »
Hey, bitchin'. Finally get to see what all the hullaballoo about Shining Force III was, after all these years.
- 鳥なき里の蝙蝠
- 本末転倒

Corsair

• Celestial Crown
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 12, 2011, 01:23:00 pm »
There's a nice translation project going that has made significant headway on that front, thankfully.  I'm waiting on finishing SF3 so I can roll right into Scenarios 2 & 3.

EDIT:  Probably what you're referring to, Corsair.  Got to give proper credit.  :D
Mainly I just wasn't sure how people here would take to posting translation projects not on the site. If pressed, i would have supplied a link :P

I'm actually pretty active on the SFC forums, and all the folks who are working on the project are really standup inidivduals.

SargeSmash

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 12, 2011, 01:26:10 pm »
Mainly I just wasn't sure how people here would take to posting translation projects not on the site. If pressed, i would have supplied a link :P

I'm actually pretty active on the SFC forums, and all the folks who are working on the project are really standup inidivduals.
I'm sure it's just fine.  The patches are pretty big, but I wouldn't be surprised to see at least a link to the project pop up here when it's finished.

I'm not really very active over at the SFC forums, but I definitely pop in from time to time to see how the translation is going.  Those guys really do seem to have their act together.  I hope they managed to fix that Scenario 3 crash bug, though.  I know they're shooting for having it gone by the time they go beta.

Panzer88

• GENO means ♥♪!?
    • View Profile
    • Gangsta City
« Reply #15 on: October 12, 2011, 03:55:52 pm »
Must Play Games:

--Astal
--NiGHTS: Into Dreams...
--Princess Crown
--Silhoette Mirage
--Grandia (Saturn version is the best)

Good Games:

--Saturn Bomberman
--Virtua Fighter 2
--Fighters Megamix
--DoDonpachi
--Vampire Savior
--Street Fighter Zero 3

here is a comprehensive breakdown of great Saturn Titles, you'll find a lot of fantastic arcade ports.

http://www.romhacking.net/forum/index.php/topic,11430.msg171191.html#msg171191
Donate now until 24 April, from the makers of shotwell Geary: a new open-source email client

SargeSmash

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 12, 2011, 04:06:23 pm »
I like that list, Panzer.  Of course, there's the caveat with Princess Crown and Grandia that Japanese knowledge is necessary.  Also, most of the fighters for the Saturn require a 4MB RAM cart.  I'm currently rolling with an Action Replay 4M Plus, which gives you cheats if you want (I never use 'em), avoidance of region lockouts, a place to backup savegames from the internal memory (flash-based), and the aforementioned RAM.

Also, Fighters Megamix is a surprisingly good 3D fighter.  I wasn't expecting much out of it when I bought it, but I had a lot of fun with it.

EDIT: Should probably note that FM is not one that needs the RAM cart.  Most of the ones that did were Capcom / SNK ports.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2011, 05:08:26 pm by SargeSmash »

Spooniest

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 12, 2011, 04:09:45 pm »
I believe I rented Fighters Megamix from Blockbuster way back in the day, and I, too was roundly impressed. Pretty good for a fanservice game! Me and my brother had a damn good time just sittin' there beatin' the hell out of each other.
- 鳥なき里の蝙蝠
- 本末転倒

I.S.T.

• Forum Moderator
  • I AM NO-AVATAR MAN!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 12, 2011, 06:17:07 pm »
I should note that Silvergun and Guardian Heroes both have XBLA ports that are apparently very high quality.
http://www.smashwords.com/books/view/12534 The Dragon Thing To Do: The Dragon Creed