logo
 drop

Main

Community

Submissions

Help

84323950 visitors

Author Topic: Electric Razor Recommendations?  (Read 4408 times)

DarknessSavior

• Darkness.
    • View Profile
    • DS: No, not the Nintendo one.
Electric Razor Recommendations?
« on: October 02, 2011, 10:50:06 pm »
On a whim, I recently purchased a POS $10 electric razor from a local Walgreens. I didn't really expect too much out of it, but on the box it said something like "closer shave than with a full sized razor!", so I decided to give it a shot.

It was pretty hard to shave anything on my face except for my mustache. However, it was honestly smoother than when I used a standard razor (and I use a Gilette Fusion).

So now I'm curious about electric razors. Is this the norm? If I get a really good one, will it replace using standard razors?

Personally, I don't care too much about price as long as the functionality is good. I'd like one that's water-proof (I tend to shave in the shower) and that could be used in more places than just one's cheeks and neck.

Does anyone have any experiences with this? Any suggestions on a good razor?

Thanks,

~DS
Red Comet: :'( Poor DS. Nobody loves him like RC does. :'(
Sliver-X: LET ME INFRINGE UPON IT WITH MY MOUTH
DSRH - Currently working on: Demon's Blazon, Romancing SaGa, FFIV EasyType.
http://www.youtube.com/user/DarknessSavior

Nec5

• It was fun until humorlessness won out.
    • View Profile
Re: Electric Razor Recommendations?
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2011, 11:47:22 pm »
I use a Norelco that's water proof.  But I only use it for quick jobs or if I'm lazy.

To be honest, neither I nor anyone I've ever met has used an electric razor that provides as clean and smooth a shave as a regular razor or blade.
When Reason Fails

Gideon Zhi

• IRC Staff
    • View Profile
    • Aeon Genesis
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2011, 11:58:00 pm »
I'm kind of interested in this too, but for different reasons. I find that unless I grow a substantial half-beard (which only takes 3-4 days), shaving with a regular manual razor tends to pull and leaves me with a ton of welts. I end up shaving at night so the welts are gone by morning, but I'd like to *stay* clean-shaven and not have to worry about whether my stubble's long enough to not hurt when I shave it off. I'm not necessarily concerned with super smoothness or anything, but I'd like to at least have the *appearance* of being clean-shaven. Any recommendations?

DarknessSavior

• Darkness.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2011, 12:13:19 am »
I'm kind of interested in this too, but for different reasons. I find that unless I grow a substantial half-beard (which only takes 3-4 days), shaving with a regular manual razor tends to pull and leaves me with a ton of welts. I end up shaving at night so the welts are gone by morning, but I'd like to *stay* clean-shaven and not have to worry about whether my stubble's long enough to not hurt when I shave it off. I'm not necessarily concerned with super smoothness or anything, but I'd like to at least have the *appearance* of being clean-shaven. Any recommendations?
This is also partially my concern. I hate shaving with a normal razor because it tends to hurt, leaving razor bumps and welts behind. I too have a tendency to shave the night before I do anything so that I won't look terrible when I go out in the morning to school.

~DS

BRPXQZME

• everything sucks forever
    • View Profile
    • The BRPXQZME Network
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2011, 02:29:57 am »
There are so many things you can do to reduce razor burn... the shaving literature available on the Internet alone is mind-bogglingly voluminous! :laugh:

It sounds to me like you guys are doing something that just isn’t being good to your skin. More blades is rougher. Crappier blades is rougher. Pressing harder is rougher. There is always a better cream/gel/soap to try, and rare is the man who can dry shave with impunity. Refining your shaving technique is a lifelong journey, with no apparent one-size-fits-all approach. It’s almost a religious experience, really.

The main thing is that if your skin gets irritated by what you’re doing to shave, you’ve got to find whatever you can buy or do to be gentler.

(I have very sensitive skin, and my facial hair does not grow back fast enough to shave more than twice a week. I have worked my way from electric razor to Mach 3 cartridges. I recently switched from cream to gel, which helps a bit but this system still isn’t perfect. When I have my own money some day, I’ll probably invest in a safety razor...)
we are in a horrible and deadly danger

MisterJones

• :D
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2011, 02:36:27 am »
I just use cheap blades and I shave during the shower.
_-|-_

Jorpho

• The cat screams with the voice of a man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2011, 10:13:49 am »
As I do not care to bleed, I have almost always used an electric shaver, namely a Philishave.  I do not have sufficiently extensive experience to recommend one over another, but I am inclined to suggest models that can be plugged into an outlet over battery-only models, as the power output is otherwise frustratingly inconsistent.

The resulting burn on my neck (or whatever it is called) used to bother me so much that I actually went for laser hair removal – but they say you need four treatments for it to be truly effective, and I'm not inclined to pay for that again.

I do use the "Lectric Shave" pre-shave stuff now, and I generally approve of it, though I have not done extensive testing to say if it is truly effective rather than just being some placebo effect.

Maybe I should try a Fusion, if the blades really last as long as advertised.
This depresses me. I feel like a goldfish right now...

Kiyoshi Aman

• Submission Reviewer
  • Browncoat Captain
    • View Profile
    • Aerdan's Blog
« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2011, 11:08:32 am »
Personally, I shave in the shower, with soap to provide lubrication, and I always shave in bottom-to-top strokes because I'm guaranteed to get a smooth, welt-free shave that way. (I also use several strokes over the same area just to be doubly sure, and since I don't tend to keep a mirror in my shower, I use my fingers to ensure I get everything.)

fairdenizen

• America's Individuality
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2011, 11:59:08 am »
I complained about razor burn and welts and my mother bought me a women's razor for sensitive skin. Shamefully enough I've never had another problem and get as close a shave as one needs. Admittedly not as close as a man's blade.  ;)

Kiyoshi Aman

• Submission Reviewer
  • Browncoat Captain
    • View Profile
    • Aerdan's Blog
« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2011, 02:34:23 pm »
I complained about razor burn and welts and my mother bought me a women's razor for sensitive skin. Shamefully enough I've never had another problem and get as close a shave as one needs. Admittedly not as close as a man's blade.  ;)

This is because women's razors aren't as sharp as men's razors.

Jedi QuestMaster

• About time, Photobucket--GOSH!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2011, 03:19:41 pm »
I actually went for laser hair removal – but they say you need four treatments for it to be truly effective, and I'm not inclined to pay for that again.
I've tried this, too.  Laser hair removal isn't permanent. :(

The only permanent hair removal is electrolysis. :o

By the way, I tweeze my hair out now. >:D
And I'll leave it at that!

mrspoon

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 03, 2011, 09:52:38 pm »
Bah! Razors. It's all about a beard. A luscious, voluminous, empowering beard. Razor burn is your face's way of telling you to STOP THAT and let it grow. Throw caution (and those damned razors) to the wind and let your hair loose unto the world and its unsuspecting women! Become one with your inner lumberjack!

Spooniest

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 03, 2011, 09:59:52 pm »
I use a standard razor with one caveat: it has a rumble pack, so it's kind of halfway between being a normal razor and an electric razor. It works wonders for me, but since I have a drop or two of Native American blood, I actually don't grow facial hair very quickly. I only have to shave about once every month.

And I'm gonna be 30 this month. Not a beard guy, I don't guess.
- 鳥なき里の蝙蝠
- 本末転倒
- 愚考山を移す  - Mt 17:20, I believe...:)

Klarth

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 03, 2011, 10:21:41 pm »
Whenever I'm performing official military duties (2 days a month since I'm not active duty anymore), I use a Gilette Fusion for the closer shave alongside some Edge shaving gel.  I know I should spring for the more expensive (salon quality) gel, but haven't tried it yet.  I've heard good things about them.

The rest of the month, I use a Braun Series 790CC-4 electric shaver.  It doesn't trim as smoothly as a razor, but has much less irritation, especially for 7 days a week shaving.  It's also quite expensive and hasn't fully replaced my manual.

I've honestly been considering electrolysis.  It pays for itself in the long run and, at 27, I don't see myself ever starting to want to have facial hair.

FYI: If I shave in the morning with either, I'd need to shave again if I needed to be smooth for a night time date.

Jedi QuestMaster

• About time, Photobucket--GOSH!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 04, 2011, 12:46:43 am »
I've honestly been considering electrolysis.
If you do, let me know how it goes. :thumbsup:
And I'll leave it at that!

DarknessSavior

• Darkness.
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 04, 2011, 12:58:51 am »
As I do not care to bleed, I have almost always used an electric shaver, namely a Philishave.  I do not have sufficiently extensive experience to recommend one over another, but I am inclined to suggest models that can be plugged into an outlet over battery-only models, as the power output is otherwise frustratingly inconsistent.

The resulting burn on my neck (or whatever it is called) used to bother me so much that I actually went for laser hair removal – but they say you need four treatments for it to be truly effective, and I'm not inclined to pay for that again.

I do use the "Lectric Shave" pre-shave stuff now, and I generally approve of it, though I have not done extensive testing to say if it is truly effective rather than just being some placebo effect.

Maybe I should try a Fusion, if the blades really last as long as advertised.
Thanks for the comments.

As far as a Gilette Fusion goes? If all you're shaving is your face, and you shave about two or three times a week, a $15 pack of four blades will last you at least three months. I'm not sure if that's a long time or not (though I can say from experience that my dad once bought me cheapo three blade Schlick disposable razors. Came in a pack of three for $9. Two or three shaves, and I was throwing one of them away. So Fusion definitely outlasts cheapo disposables).

~DS

Nightcrawler

• View Profile
    • Nightcrawler's Translation Corporation
« Reply #16 on: October 04, 2011, 09:54:24 am »
Am I the only one who actually gets LESS irritation from a razor? I have pretty sensitive skin too. When I shave with an electric (I've tried a few different ones), it pulls the crap out of my face and it turns the entire shaved area beat red and gets real hot for hours. It irritates it to the max. When I shave with a razor, I am minimally effected so long as I do it right after a shower. If I try to shave just any old time, it will still inflame me. My favorite razor is the Mach 3 Turbo (The green one, the original Mach 3 not as good). The Fusion is a little too rough for me, but I do have one and use occasionally.

Also, with razors, they work best when the hair is short. Let more than a few days past by and it becomes difficult. I typically shave every 2 to 3 days. I go as long as I can and still not get pulled aside at work and keep irritation from longer hair to a minimum. :)

As far as a beard. I used to be able to grown one without much issue. As I got older, my skin becomes very dry if I do and I end up itching and flaking in my beard after a few weeks... I'd rather put up with shaving! I don't have dry facial skin otherwise. It's only when I grow a beard.

You get years and years to practice and perfect your tools and technique though!
TransCorp - Over 15 years of community dedication.
Dual Orb 2, Wozz, Emerald Dragon, Tenshi No Uta, Herakles IV SFC/SNES Translations

BRPXQZME

• everything sucks forever
    • View Profile
    • The BRPXQZME Network
« Reply #17 on: October 04, 2011, 11:09:36 am »
I forgo the electrics except when it comes to keeping in my unruly sideburns. They are indeed worse for me.
we are in a horrible and deadly danger

Next Gen Cowboy

• "People are like dice"
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 04, 2011, 09:04:57 pm »
One thing of note for people getting welts while shaving their neck, go upwards on the neck to the bottom of your cheek, downwards for the face. It's not a universal rule but it helps me.

Much like Gid I grow facial hair at an alarming rate, and save my goatee I prefer to keep clean shaven. I've tried nearly every brand and type of razor (female included) and I find that I just can't get as close a shave as I desire with women's disposables.

I prefer the Gillete Mach 3 I got from my ex, but I use anything I can afford. Seeing as I've been shaving every other day for 11 years I've gotten my technique down, but one other thing to note is if you wash your face, or hop in the shower than get out and shave (for those not shaving in the shower) you'll generally get much less irratation.

Like NC said, we get years to hone and practice our art.

My father used electrics for the last 15 years of his life, as his hands were unsteady. I've never liked them, but he had some success with the middle - top end norrelco's if it's something you're interested in investing in. He wouldn't have been caught dead using one for former millitary functions though, but I doubt you have to get that close to your skin anyway.
"Remember when we were in Japan? You said you were my gun, if you're the gun then that means I'm the bullet."

"All my life I've been waiting for the gunpowder to go off, you know what you need to ignite gunpowder? You need a gun."

CrocMagnum

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 05, 2011, 07:14:40 am »
Wow! Those hacking threads are getting more and more technical!  :P

On topic: something I never understood with those 3-headed Philips Electric Shavers  :

when the blades get really old and you want to by a set of new ones, you'll notice that they cost nearly the price of the electric razor itself!

I always found this quite insulting to my logic...
« Last Edit: October 05, 2011, 07:19:57 am by CrocMagnum »
Pity the world if you fail Spirit Monk, for you are the last. (Jade Empire)