logo
 drop

Main

Community

Submissions

Help

78426908 visitors

Author Topic: Holy shit, CERN broke the light barrier.  (Read 8428 times)

MisterJones

• :D
    • View Profile
Re: Holy shit, CERN broke the light barrier.
« Reply #20 on: September 25, 2011, 11:15:57 pm »
Most of Einstein's foundation was for the most part theoretical and didn't take into account subatomic particles IIRC. While he had a solid theory, there might have been innacuracies due to insufficient information, which I would believe to be totally understandable.
_-|-_

Spooniest

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 26, 2011, 12:04:32 am »
Most of Einstein's foundation was for the most part theoretical and didn't take into account subatomic particles IIRC. While he had a solid theory, there might have been innacuracies due to insufficient information, which I would believe to be totally understandable.

What, was Special Relativity developed before Electron Microscopes or something?

Apologies if this is one of those "Shut the fuck up, Donnie, you're out of your element" moments.
- 鳥なき里の蝙蝠
- 本末転倒
- 愚考山を移す  - Mt 17:20, I believe...:)

MisterJones

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 26, 2011, 12:13:59 am »
Not sure what was the tone meant for you statement, so I will go to its literal inetrpretation, to which I answer by stating that neutrinos were understood somewhat better many years after Albert's theory was accepted, or so wikipedia sez.
_-|-_

Asylum

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 26, 2011, 06:15:14 am »
Very cool, thank you for sharing Gideon.  But I remember when the fellows at Fermilab did it.  Hopefully it turns out to be true.

Sidenote: really Nec5?  Not to be a jerk, but are you a scientist yourself?  I hope so, and I hope that you're just joking around.  Because that wonderful generalization is pretty insulting if taken seriously.

God forbid somebody be insulting!

MegaManJuno

• Robot Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 26, 2011, 07:39:26 am »
Old news is old.

DankPanties

• retired
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 26, 2011, 08:48:37 am »
Apologies if this is one of those "Shut the fuck up, Donnie, you're out of your element" moments.

Pretty much how I've seen the whole thread.

Next Gen Cowboy

• "People are like dice"
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 27, 2011, 08:23:50 am »
I'm taking a wait and see attitude at the moment, Tesla is correct, I have very little doubt about that, but the numbers have to be accurate. Then the problem arises of practical usage, this could mean that previous theories (and we should state that they're theories for a reason) could be turned upside down. Or it could mean that that sub-atomic particles could work under different rules, or laws. Either way I find it extremely awesome that someone's trying, and I'm much happier about this than I am about people trying to reach absolute zero, or create a black hole... That's just not good news!

I'm also of the opinion that many people in the physics community are too concerned with taking the safe route, that they will never take great chances due to the risk of failure. It's something that's been going on for over 100 years, so it's par for the course. I understand the reasoning; no one remembers the man (or woman) who got it wrong. But if don't come out of our shell we'll never expand in the areas of physics.

Physics isn't like other fields, a mistimed step can bury you for life.

All and all this is fairly earth shattering stuff, but if it can only be achieved by particles on the smallest of scales, then I'll never be able to find out of space expands faster than light, and I'll die with so many questions unanswered.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2011, 08:34:58 am by Next gen Cowboy »
"Remember when we were in Japan? You said you were my gun, if you're the gun then that means I'm the bullet."

"All my life I've been waiting for the gunpowder to go off, you know what you need to ignite gunpowder? You need a gun."

Spooniest

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 27, 2011, 08:29:29 am »
Not sure what was the tone meant for you statement...

Oh, it's a reference to The Big Lebowski, a popular film. What I meant was that I was sorry if my question sounded stupid, because I am very much out of my element. I'm no physicist.

But I am curious about my original question: does Special Relativity predate Electron Microscopes?
- 鳥なき里の蝙蝠
- 本末転倒
- 愚考山を移す  - Mt 17:20, I believe...:)

Next Gen Cowboy

• "People are like dice"
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 27, 2011, 08:41:03 am »
Oh, it's a reference to The Big Lebowski, a popular film. What I meant was that I was sorry if my question sounded stupid, because I am very much out of my element. I'm no physicist.

But I am curious about my original question: does Special Relativity predate Electron Microscopes?

By nearly a quarter-century, although theories have been revised, fixed, fine tuned; but the microscopes themselves were not widely used until the 40's. They were expensive in the mid to late 30's.

(I'm sure they were expensive in the 40's but you know what I mean)

PS. In terms of the Tesla thing, I'm not blindly loyal, it's just he was right about every other thing, who am I to say he's wrong here?
"Remember when we were in Japan? You said you were my gun, if you're the gun then that means I'm the bullet."

"All my life I've been waiting for the gunpowder to go off, you know what you need to ignite gunpowder? You need a gun."

Psychlonic

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 29, 2011, 05:37:23 pm »
Newton was right.

That he was. And that still doesn't make his laws cutting edge advancement.
The harder companies try to lock their products down, the more likely they are to test the limits of legitimate customers who look on enviously as the pirates enjoy a superior user experience.

Jorpho

• The cat screams with the voice of a man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: September 29, 2011, 11:26:45 pm »
PS. In terms of the Tesla thing, I'm not blindly loyal, it's just he was right about every other thing, who am I to say he's wrong here?
Am I misreading you?  Tesla was quite unequivocally bonkers towards the end, particularly in regards to his "death ray".
This depresses me. I feel like a goldfish right now...

Kiyoshi Aman

• Submission Reviewer
  • Kicking the wind, dood.
    • View Profile
    • Kumiho
« Reply #31 on: September 30, 2011, 05:12:25 am »
Am I misreading you?  Tesla was quite unequivocally bonkers towards the end, particularly in regards to his "death ray".

Being bonkers does not preclude being right, y'know.

DarkSol

• Forum Moderator
  • IRC Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 30, 2011, 07:47:03 pm »

Hate to break it to you, but the theory of Special Relativity was proven using subatomic particles.

Old news is old.

Neutrinos do not have any charge, therefore, Tesla was...

WRONG.

Plus, he's talking about cosmic rays, not neutrinos.

Just for a little bit of context.

Lastly, consider that the OPERA experiment needed a beam of neutrinos to be generated to work, these particles were sped up to speeds close to c.  However, it is impossible to impart enough energy to give something with mass, which neutrinos do have, to the speed of light or faster than the speed of light as that would require an infinite amount of energy, something we are simply incapable of doing.

The fact that the OPERA experiment team has doubts on the veracity of their findings should speak volumes, in upon itself.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2011, 07:54:33 pm by DarkSol »
It is wrong to try to avoid the struggle against imperialism under the pretext that independence and revolution are important, but that peace is still more precious.

Jorpho

• The cat screams with the voice of a man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 01, 2011, 12:28:16 am »
Being bonkers does not preclude being right, y'know.
Um... Yes it does?  If someone is spouting utter nonsense, being "right" is more a matter of coincidence.
This depresses me. I feel like a goldfish right now...

I.S.T.

• Forum Moderator
  • I AM NO-AVATAR MAN!
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 01, 2011, 08:17:55 am »
Gotta side with Aerdan on this one. Tesla was bonkers for much of his life, and he still helped invent a ton of stuff while working at Edison's lab. Though, he was wrong about this issue.
http://www.smashwords.com/books/view/12534 The Dragon Thing To Do: The Dragon Creed

Corsair

• Celestial Crown
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 01, 2011, 09:22:53 am »
Yes, but can they see why kids love the taste of cinnamon toast crunch?

Next Gen Cowboy

• "People are like dice"
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 02, 2011, 04:43:38 am »

It was more of a joke, I have an immense respect for the man (aside for his adoration of birds...) and I just hate to see someone lost to the anals of history, forgotten, or remembered more for insanity than their accomplishments.

BRPXQZME

• everything sucks forever
    • View Profile
    • The BRPXQZME Network
« Reply #37 on: October 02, 2011, 04:50:44 am »
the anals of history
welp, there’s a mental image i will carry with me to the grave.
we are in a horrible and deadly danger

Kiyoshi Aman

• Submission Reviewer
  • Kicking the wind, dood.
    • View Profile
    • Kumiho
« Reply #38 on: October 02, 2011, 08:42:19 am »
It was more of a joke, I have an immense respect for the man (aside for his adoration of birds...) and I just hate to see someone lost to the anals of history, forgotten, or remembered more for insanity than their accomplishments.

You might want to, uh, look up how to spell 'annals' before you try to use it in a sentence again, sir. ¬.¬

MisterJones

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 02, 2011, 02:14:35 pm »
well, in the context here, it kinda works, people here seem to be a bit too annal
_-|-_