logo
 drop

Main

Community

Submissions

Help

83790424 visitors

Author Topic: DQ Monsters remake  (Read 4411 times)

fairdenizen

• America's Individuality
    • View Profile
Re: DQ Monsters remake
« Reply #40 on: September 23, 2011, 01:55:41 pm »
I'm pretty sure those answers were completely random. But I might be wrong. At least in Persona they definitely were totally random since the questions and answers just didn't make any sense (I vaguely remember something like "What is the meaning of life?" - "I like icecream!" or something equally nonsensical was the right answer.)

Actually, that's not as random as you think. If a pixie says something like that, you can assume they have the personality of a pixie, and really aren't looking for a deep meaning to life. Whereas if Death were to come and ask you that you'd better answer something like "learning and teaching"

I always thought you weren't going for the right answer, you're going for the answer that makes the monster feel as if you're close to them in spirit.

DankPanties

• retired
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: September 23, 2011, 02:05:04 pm »
I always thought you weren't going for the right answer, you're going for the answer that makes the monster feel as if you're close to them in spirit.

Bingo.

Garoth Moulinoski

• Disliking that smoke.
    • View Profile
    • My Stuff including Super Smash Karts.
« Reply #42 on: September 27, 2011, 01:38:48 pm »
From what I was reading about Joker 2... apparently you fuse monsters in it, and to acquire them you have to negotiate.

raising two monsters then fusing them together to create a new, more powerful synthesis of the two

Rather than attacking wild creatures to weaken them for capture as in the Pokemon games, Joker 2 employs a mechanic of persuasion to try to convince new monsters to join your team.

http://ds.ign.com/articles/119/1195006p1.html

Is it just me, or does that sound like a rip off of SMT's school of design?

Eh, I suppose. It was more distinct back in the Gameboy, when you threw meat at the monsters and they then might, just might, join you. It still has its ol' DQ charm to it.

And honestly, you can say what you want, but at least in Last Bible, it always felt random. I found out it wasn't, but by then, I just didn't care anymore.

Either way, I'm not sure how much you'll enjoy DQMJ/2 anyhow. DQ's stories are generally light in the story aspect when compared to SMT, but the DQM games almost make Pokemon feel like a serious debate. I still generally like them, if for nothing else than the franchise familiarity. That and I was looking for something Pokemon-y when the first one came out, and at the time, it was actually deeper than Pokemon.

It's fairer to compare it to Pokemon than to SMT, though (and maybe I'm the one who started this, I can't remember), due to the light themes and lack of emphasis on apocalyptic happenings. Not to mention you're not really being placed in the middle of a game of tug-o-war (unless you're one of those guys that go all Law or all Chaos).

I'm playing DQMJ2 at the moment, I'm liking it so far. There are weather effects, asynchronous day/night system (that is, it's not real time), ridiculous puns, and a touch of Monster Hunter influence in there with the giant monsters.
Who will quote me next?
Disclaimer: If it sounds wrong, I may have been posting while asleep.

DankPanties

• retired
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: September 27, 2011, 02:00:48 pm »
As much as you like the DS and Monster Hunter, did you ever try out Kaiju Busters or Kaiju Busters Powered, Garoth?  I think they'd be in your interest zone.

Garoth Moulinoski

• Disliking that smoke.
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: October 02, 2011, 09:55:53 pm »
As much as you like the DS and Monster Hunter, did you ever try out Kaiju Busters or Kaiju Busters Powered, Garoth?  I think they'd be in your interest zone.

Actually, could you believe me if I told you I've never heard of them?
Who will quote me next?

DankPanties

• retired
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: October 03, 2011, 08:35:34 am »
Well check them out!  You might like.  Except the part where they are only available in Japanese.  Don't know if you'll like that part.  GameFAQs I suppose.

Next Gen Cowboy

• "People are like dice"
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: October 04, 2011, 05:59:25 pm »
The new Devil Summoner uses a system much like that, alas there are still random elements, it's closer to 55% correct answer 45% random. Even when you understand the demon traits and types, the same answer will be wrong (even more so than Nocturne)

Luckily you have demons with the Charisma skill which is strong vs All. It's the almighty of negotiating.

Persona 2 EP the answers were fixed if I remember correctly. This is how you were able to get blank cards by the bucketload with proper contracts (which you needed by the mid-game)

But part of that wierdness could have been the translation, which even someone like me with less-than-minimal knowledge of Japanese could tell was meh at best.

On a side note certain enemy types (the child type) would think Ice-cream is the meaning of the universe.  You're telling the demon what they want to hear, much like in Persona 3/4 how I tell everyone what they want to hear to gain massive boost to my power. It's a giant pyschological game with manipulative protagonist!

Until you run into the fiends and shit yourself.
"Remember when we were in Japan? You said you were my gun, if you're the gun then that means I'm the bullet."

"All my life I've been waiting for the gunpowder to go off, you know what you need to ignite gunpowder? You need a gun."

Deets

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: October 05, 2011, 12:22:39 am »
Just chiming in here to say that DQMJ2 is a really charming, breezy take on the monster hunting formula that I think you'd have to go out of your way to hate on. I played a little bit of Joker 1 and didn't particularly like it, but daaaaaaamn Joker 2 is a huge step up.

Garoth Moulinoski

• Disliking that smoke.
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: October 25, 2011, 10:51:04 pm »
Well check them out!  You might like.  Except the part where they are only available in Japanese.  Don't know if you'll like that part.  GameFAQs I suppose.

Almost all the games I've played on my PSP have been in Japanese, and a lot of the games I've played for the DS have been in Japanese. Not to mention that I know a little of the language (at least, to get by for a month and a week in Japan). So, I think I can manage ;)

I'll try and remember, but I have a lot of other things going on right now (Read: Gaming Progress).

Just chiming in here to say that DQMJ2 is a really charming, breezy take on the monster hunting formula that I think you'd have to go out of your way to hate on. I played a little bit of Joker 1 and didn't particularly like it, but daaaaaaamn Joker 2 is a huge step up.

Y'know, I can't shake this feeling that the whole reason for the "Giant Monsters" is all Monster Hunter's fault... Not that I'm complaining. It adds tension at some points, too.
Who will quote me next?