logo
 drop

Main

Community

Submissions

Help

78435478 visitors

Author Topic: Dislike Autism and Aspergers, and call them Retards?  (Read 9342 times)

DQ Chao284

• View Profile
Re: Dislike Autism and Aspergers, and call them Retards?
« Reply #20 on: September 19, 2011, 09:41:55 pm »
Then Kiyoshi Aman, DarkSol, KaioShin, KingMike, Gideon Zhi, and Nightcrawler,

If you hate Autism itself even outside of the internet, then you guys are part of Encyclopaedia Dramatica and 4Chan, the ones who think Nero Typical people are the most important humans on the planet, just ban me.

DarkSol

• Forum Moderator
  • IRC Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 19, 2011, 10:02:15 pm »
Then Kiyoshi Aman, DarkSol, KaioShin, KingMike, Gideon Zhi, and Nightcrawler,

If you hate Autism itself even outside of the internet, then you guys are part of Encyclopaedia Dramatica and 4Chan, the ones who think Nero Typical people are the most important humans on the planet, just ban me.

I don't hate autism.  I think it's a very serious mental condition.  What I do "hate" are people who self-diagnose themselves and then ask the world to pity them after they attack people who have the "audacity" to criticize them.

Ninja Edit: P.S. It's rather rude to just up and randomly accuse people of crap.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2011, 10:15:00 pm by DarkSol »
It is wrong to try to avoid the struggle against imperialism under the pretext that independence and revolution are important, but that peace is still more precious.

Hamtaro126

• R.I.P. 2006-2012
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 19, 2011, 10:38:17 pm »
As a disabled individual, I would just like to point out that the only disabilities the Internet cares about are that of intelligence and behaviour.

Autism isn't really either one, at least of the forms mild enough to not really hinder Internet usage. And I speak from experience, being autistic myself.

As a person who has Autism, and still High Functioning, I agree to Kiyoshi's words defenately. Calling people retarded is just like having to call people a fool.

And there is a true thought for everyone: If you call anyone a fool, you're the fool, Then there is the fact that you must act like yourself, and also treat people as proper gentelmen/ladies,

These are all rules of respect, It should be applied to anyone, anywhere, anything to keep from being in bad trouble in the real world.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2011, 10:47:19 pm by Hamtaro126 »
(Ban is Repealed because of refusal to accept action. Making this major problem worse, So if no-one tempbans me, I WILL NOT COME BACK PERMANENTLY)

Erase this when you are ready to act like a MAN!!!

DarkSol

• Forum Moderator
  • IRC Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 19, 2011, 11:22:52 pm »
As a person who has Autism, and still High Functioning, I agree to Kiyoshi's words defenately. Calling people retarded is just like having to call people a fool.

And there is a true thought for everyone: If you call anyone a fool, you're the fool, Then there is the fact that you must act like yourself, and also treat people as proper gentelmen/ladies,

These are all rules of respect, It should be applied to anyone, anywhere, anything to keep from being in bad trouble in the real world.

THIS!

This is an awesome post.  I wish I could somehow "like" this post because it speaks the truth on so many levels.

I appreciate the openness and honesty that both you and Kiyoshi have had in regards to this issue, Hamtaro.  :thumbsup:
It is wrong to try to avoid the struggle against imperialism under the pretext that independence and revolution are important, but that peace is still more precious.

oversee

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 20, 2011, 04:49:13 am »
Asperger's Syndrome seems to be the current popular disorder. I think it is true that there are many people who self-diagnose and then use it as an excuse to be rude. I know someone who was not diagnosed with Asperger's but I think she has it. She is very sociable but she doesn't know how to judge other people's reactions to her so she can be really annoying. She doesn't think she is socially awkward. She is very outgoing, but a lot of people consider it invasive and she doesn't get it. Although most Asperger's Syndrome people are considered to have normal or above normal intelligence, I think this girl has lower than normal intelligence.
Autism is a spectrum - which means that you can be one of those that doesn't communicate and bangs his head on the floor all day, or you can have it so mild that you just come across as a little quirky. I know someone like this. He avoids social situations, but it is so much easier for him to communicate on the internet than in person. Without the internet, his life would be so much worse. What is more is that because of the internet, he doesn't have to take a normal job where he has to interact with people everyday. He can do all his work on the internet and avoid those situations he can't handle. What he has is called pervasive development disorder - not otherwise specified. He also has trouble reading expressions on people's faces. Unlike people with Asperger's, he avoids social contact. He has friends, but he never calls them. If they ask him to do something, he will do it but he will never ask them. I think he doesn't need people in his life in order to be happy. He is also highly intelligent.

DankPanties

• retired
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 20, 2011, 08:03:52 am »
If you call anyone a fool, you're the fool

You're a genius!  (Now I'm a genius.)

Tater Bear

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 20, 2011, 09:09:51 am »
Autism is a spectrum - which means that you can be one of those that doesn't communicate and bangs his head on the floor all day, or you can have it so mild that you just come across as a little quirky. I know someone like this. He avoids social situations, but it is so much easier for him to communicate on the internet than in person. Without the internet, his life would be so much worse. What is more is that because of the internet, he doesn't have to take a normal job where he has to interact with people everyday. He can do all his work on the internet and avoid those situations he can't handle. What he has is called pervasive development disorder - not otherwise specified. He also has trouble reading expressions on people's faces. Unlike people with Asperger's, he avoids social contact. He has friends, but he never calls them. If they ask him to do something, he will do it but he will never ask them. I think he doesn't need people in his life in order to be happy. He is also highly intelligent.

Poor word choice. There is the autism disorder and then there is autism spectrum disorders (ASD). The autism spectrum disorders (ASD) are a collection of similar disorders with autism being the most severe. As a physician I adhere to the criteria of the DSM IV when I make my differential diagnosis. People keep saying that there is a range with autism, but this is not a 100% accurate. The confusion with most people lies in the fact that autism tends to have many comorbidities that go along with it. For instance, most autistic children present with mental retardation as well. Mental retardation is not part of the diagnostic criteria for autism and is just a separate condition that can go along side of it. Then things are further complicated by the fact that there are several disorders such as fragile X syndrome, tuberous sclerosis, Tourette syndrome, etc. that are associated with having autism. Autism is a specific constellation of symptoms with no range of severity implied. A good physician should take his/her time and identify any comorbid condition that will most likely accompany the diagnosis of autism. A highly functional autistic is basically someone with just autism and no other comorbidity, but this is fairly rare.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2011, 02:10:12 pm by Tater Bear »

Jorpho

• The cat screams with the voice of a man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 20, 2011, 09:26:03 am »
have already seen me act like a retard already
It seems you're the only one who is saying that you've been acting like a "retard".  What are you going to do about it?
the thing is I talk much differently than most people who are Normal Functioning
This being a message board, it doesn't particularly matter how you "talk", does it now?  That's like saying speaking with a lisp compels you to type "th" every time you mean to type "s".  Or that Tourette's forces you to fill each of your posts with random swear words.

Once you have finished composing your post you are free to go back and edit it such that, for example, all of your paragraphs end with a period and not with a comma.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2011, 09:32:46 am by Jorpho »
This depresses me. I feel like a goldfish right now...

creeperton

• Omnia mutantur, nihil interit
    • View Profile
    • Furdo's Workspace
« Reply #28 on: September 20, 2011, 11:53:24 am »
I think he doesn't need people in his life in order to be happy.
Somehow, that makes me feel happy for him.

Bregalad

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 20, 2011, 12:55:50 pm »
The vast majority of people on the internet who are "autistic" or "suffer" from some form of Aspergers are self-diagnosed to avoid coming to grips with their social awkwardness.
Definitely. I have faked autism so I wasn't enrolled in the army - it was easy to do and worked damn well ! I can easily see why people would do the same on the internet - sorry but this won't work for me.

creeperton

• Omnia mutantur, nihil interit
    • View Profile
    • Furdo's Workspace
« Reply #30 on: September 20, 2011, 01:21:41 pm »
Definitely. I have faked autism so I wasn't enrolled in the army - it was easy to do and worked damn well ! I can easily see why people would do the same on the internet - sorry but this won't work for me.
Where are you from?

Dwedit

• View Profile
    • Dwedit's Website
« Reply #31 on: September 20, 2011, 01:58:37 pm »
Where are you from?

According to his Nesdev profile, Switzerland.
"We are merely sprites that dance at the beck and call of our button-pressing overlord."

Tater Bear

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 20, 2011, 02:14:13 pm »

Is army service mandatory in Switzerland?

SargeSmash

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 20, 2011, 02:26:36 pm »
Not sure I'd admit that on the Internet, regardless of how "anonymous" it is.
For what shall it profit a man, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?  -- Mark 8:36

Panzer88

• GENO means ♥♪!?
    • View Profile
    • Gangsta City
« Reply #34 on: September 21, 2011, 02:40:54 am »
You're a genius!  (Now I'm a genius.)

...yeah. We have rules of conduct and edicate, that said, it's not inconcievable for someone to legitimately act incompotent. God forbid anyone address such a situation.

IIRC yes.

Not sure I'd admit that on the Internet, regardless of how "anonymous" it is.

I seriously doubt the swiss government/military is crawling a site hosted here.
Donate now until 24 April, from the makers of shotwell Geary: a new open-source email client

SargeSmash

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 21, 2011, 10:47:13 am »
I seriously doubt the swiss government/military is crawling a site hosted here.
Probably not, but it's still not something I'd ever admit on the Internet.  That's just me.
For what shall it profit a man, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?  -- Mark 8:36

Bregalad

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 21, 2011, 10:55:57 am »
Theorically yes, but in practice many people are contourning this in many ways. In fact they kick as many people as they can, as any kicked person is going to pay a fee while an enrolled person in going to cost them, so if there is any small doubt about physical or mental health of someone they just kick him.
It's no problem to admit it in real life and even less on the internet, they can't change their mind and I pay my fees.

Now if I were to do this again I'd have act otherwise but it's too late for me too.

Nec5

• It was fun until humorlessness won out.
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 21, 2011, 09:12:52 pm »
In the time before time, when not every film or show was a remake and men were men, people called each other "retard" as a slander towards intelligence.  Then political correctness set it and many moons passed.  "Retard" was deemed mean and other terms appeared yonder:

Special
Slow
Attorney At Law
Mentally Challenged
Special Needs

Now when people wish to insult someone's intelligence, they have more terms at their disposal although "retard" is considered bad taste.  Eventually, these terms will be replaced by something new because they will be associated with meanness.  I expect the new term will be "retarded" because by then the generation will have forgotten its meanness.

More seriously, "retard" is a catch phrase for anyone with something less than normal mental capabilities.  There are various specifics underneath that umbrella term, and while I think it is our moral duty to treat these fellow human beings with dignity, respect, and help, it is generally difficult to have them participate in intellectual discussions, such as online forums,  because they may often blurt out strange comments or unintentionally filibuster.  I have direct experience with teaching aspergers folks in a typical college classroom and the results ranged from awkward to incredibly disruptive.   
When Reason Fails

Jorpho

• The cat screams with the voice of a man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 22, 2011, 12:22:23 am »
In the time before time, when not every film or show was a remake and men were men, people called each other "retard" as a slander towards intelligence.
Tut tut.  In an even further antediluvian era, it was legitimate psychological terminology.  (There was this notion – I forget who originated it, I think he was French – that by a certain biological age, the average child would have acquired certain intellectual skills; if a child was X years behind where he was expected to be, he was X years "retarded".)
This depresses me. I feel like a goldfish right now...

Nec5

• It was fun until humorlessness won out.
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 22, 2011, 12:33:59 am »
Tut tut.  In an even further antediluvian era, it was legitimate psychological terminology.  (There was this notion – I forget who originated it, I think he was French – that by a certain biological age, the average child would have acquired certain intellectual skills; if a child was X years behind where he was expected to be, he was X years "retarded".)
Very true.  But I need to look up "antediluvian".
When Reason Fails