logo
 drop

Main

Community

Submissions

Help

78596533 visitors

Author Topic: Comparing game localizations  (Read 19307 times)

Tomato

• View Profile
    • Legends of Localization
Re: Comparing game localizations
« Reply #80 on: August 30, 2012, 07:56:34 am »
Cool, thanks. I need it with FF2 (I saw it in the Japanese versions) but maybe the save will still be semi-compatible.

And yes, I've gone back and added a few small things over the past couple of weeks. And the secret hover text has always been a staple of my comparison sites :P

FallenAngel2387

• View Profile
« Reply #81 on: August 30, 2012, 10:10:07 am »
No rush, but I'm dying to see the actual translation when you get back to Baron. I was playing the re-translation recently. Complain the original translation was butchered and then do that to it...

Unfortunately it was with this game that I ultimately decided this genre wasn't for me, but I'm still interested to see what the actual text reads at that point.

Tomato

• View Profile
« Reply #82 on: August 30, 2012, 11:12:37 am »
Yeah, I'm looking forward to that scene too. I wish I knew where the other weird pop culture references showed up in the retranslation patch, there's supposedly a Backstreet Boys reference and something else too.

Bregalad

• View Profile
« Reply #83 on: August 30, 2012, 12:25:30 pm »
As far I know the saves are compatible, but things like EyeDrops, Antidoes or whathever that is not present in the (U) version will be called "Dummy". It's quite funny to see.

No rush, but I'm dying to see the actual translation when you get back to Baron. I was playing the re-translation recently. Complain the original translation was butchered and then do that to it...
What are you referring too ?
And I'm no expert, but after seeing Tom's comparison, it's safe to say the official translation was definitely not butchered.

DarknessSavior

• Darkness.
    • View Profile
    • DS: No, not the Nintendo one.
« Reply #84 on: August 30, 2012, 12:46:40 pm »
As far I know the saves are compatible, but things like EyeDrops, Antidoes or whathever that is not present in the (U) version will be called "Dummy". It's quite funny to see.
What are you referring too ?
And I'm no expert, but after seeing Tom's comparison, it's safe to say the official translation was definitely not butchered.
It might be hard to tell, but FA was referring to how j2e handled it. They said the original was butchered. I don't think he was saying that was his opinion.

~DS
Red Comet: :'( Poor DS. Nobody loves him like RC does. :'(
Sliver-X: LET ME INFRINGE UPON IT WITH MY MOUTH
DSRH - Currently working on: Demon's Blazon, Romancing SaGa, FFIV EasyType.
http://www.youtube.com/user/DarknessSavior

Tomato

• View Profile
« Reply #85 on: August 30, 2012, 01:30:55 pm »
Yeah, curses was referencing this line in the J2E re-translation:

Bregalad

• View Profile
« Reply #86 on: August 30, 2012, 04:05:08 pm »
Ah ok,
yes I understood it wasn't him who said the original translation was butchered.

Oh and this screenshot was so obviously made with an old inaccurate ZSNES emu ! How many FF4 screenshots I've seen everywhere like this... with this transparent line at the bottom of textboxes. How can people miss this ?

Tomato

• View Profile
« Reply #87 on: August 30, 2012, 06:01:31 pm »
I think when the patch was made, it looked fine in emulators at the time. But as emulation improved it turned out that the patch didn't work quite right. That's been the case for many old patches, actually.

DarknessSavior

• Darkness.
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: August 30, 2012, 08:43:16 pm »
I think when the patch was made, it looked fine in emulators at the time. But as emulation improved it turned out that the patch didn't work quite right. That's been the case for many old patches, actually.
The reason that happens is because older versions of ZSNES have hacks built in for particular games to make them work better. The latest version of ZSNES takes those hacks out, so it exposes some of the problems in the coding of ZSNES, and the errors that those problems cause. Like that one.

Also, Tomato: you should go back and include the PSX translation too. It's updated, has a proportional font, and even does some interesting changes like Lit -> Bolt. Though, IIRC, they call Cecil a "Knight" in the menus.

~DS

Tomato

• View Profile
« Reply #89 on: August 30, 2012, 10:32:13 pm »
To be honest I don't have much experience emulating PSX games, plus it's already a ton of work doing these three games alone. Well, that, and I wanted to compare the original releases. But now that you've planted the idea in my mind it would be interesting to compare the SNES and PSX one as a project of its own.

Actually, that should be pretty easy for anyone to do, really - don't even need to know Japanese!

DarknessSavior

• Darkness.
    • View Profile
« Reply #90 on: August 31, 2012, 12:55:45 am »
To be honest I don't have much experience emulating PSX games, plus it's already a ton of work doing these three games alone. Well, that, and I wanted to compare the original releases. But now that you've planted the idea in my mind it would be interesting to compare the SNES and PSX one as a project of its own.

Actually, that should be pretty easy for anyone to do, really - don't even need to know Japanese!
Well, I mean the PSX comparison being made to what the Japanese said is also important, I feel. Moreso than the differences between FFIV and ET, honestly. The Japanese versions of the game didn't have much changed between versions, but just about EVERY English release has had a different translation. But I draw the line once it stops looking and acting like the SNES version (GBA version has a bunch of problems, and the DS version feels like a new game to me). :P

~DS

FallenAngel2387

• View Profile
« Reply #91 on: September 03, 2012, 04:26:19 pm »
I see you're past Fabul now. The class change should be another interesting scene.

Bregalad

• View Profile
« Reply #92 on: September 03, 2012, 06:24:28 pm »
Yeah, best part of the game without any doubt :)

Tomato

• View Profile
« Reply #93 on: September 04, 2012, 01:12:52 pm »
I can't seem to find a good site that has all the known data locations inside the FFII SNES ROM (or FFIV)... Would anyone here happen to have some useful documents? I'm hoping to delve into things in a technical level at some point but I don't want to have to reinvent the wheel.

DarknessSavior

• Darkness.
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: September 04, 2012, 02:41:43 pm »
I can't seem to find a good site that has all the known data locations inside the FFII SNES ROM (or FFIV)... Would anyone here happen to have some useful documents? I'm hoping to delve into things in a technical level at some point but I don't want to have to reinvent the wheel.
If you tell me specifically what you're looking for, I might be able to find something for you. But I never used any documents, I just figured stuff out on my own.

~DS

Tomato

• View Profile
« Reply #95 on: September 16, 2012, 06:56:33 pm »
Oops, I got logged out of the forums a while back and never logged back in. For now, I'll hold off on the intricate inner workings of the game, but it's something I really look forward to. I'm kind of curious to know if stat growth was changed for anyone, for example, although I doubt it.

Anyway, I just posted the page about Mt. Ordeals: http://matotree.com/localization/final-fantasy-iv/mt-ordeals/ I'm more and more surprised at how weird of a mess the J2E patch actually is - I'm almost considering doing my own basic translation of it but then I'm reminded of this: http://xkcd.com/927/

Still, if anyone's interested in doing FFIV from scratch with minimal hacking (no VWF, no fancy fonts, but I assume naming screens and such will need work) then let me know.

DarknessSavior

• Darkness.
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: September 16, 2012, 07:53:02 pm »
Oops, I got logged out of the forums a while back and never logged back in. For now, I'll hold off on the intricate inner workings of the game, but it's something I really look forward to. I'm kind of curious to know if stat growth was changed for anyone, for example, although I doubt it.

Anyway, I just posted the page about Mt. Ordeals: http://matotree.com/localization/final-fantasy-iv/mt-ordeals/ I'm more and more surprised at how weird of a mess the J2E patch actually is - I'm almost considering doing my own basic translation of it but then I'm reminded of this: http://xkcd.com/927/

Still, if anyone's interested in doing FFIV from scratch with minimal hacking (no VWF, no fancy fonts, but I assume naming screens and such will need work) then let me know.
This is why I'm doing my retranslation. Plus, I felt there was a lot more they could've done hacking-wise.

~DS

BRPXQZME

• everything sucks forever
    • View Profile
    • The BRPXQZME Network
« Reply #97 on: September 16, 2012, 08:05:32 pm »
On the station thing... each 合 up a mountain trail is 10% of the way up (I believe it’s by altitude starting from the base?). So 3合目 and 7合目 are really approximations for  “1/3 of the way up” and “2/3 of the way up” if you wanted to be boring.

I would conjecture (i.e., when I was a younger man I assumed ;D ) that the choice of the term “station” could come from the practice of making specific stops on religious pilgrimages, being that Mt. Ordeals is something like a spiritual experience in the context of the game. In hindsight, this is almost certainly an eisegesis of mine that just seems to work for me :P

At any rate, the etymology of the term seems uncertain.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2012, 08:10:56 pm by BRPXQZME »
we are in a horrible and deadly danger

FallenAngel2387

• View Profile
« Reply #98 on: September 16, 2012, 08:57:29 pm »
You should see the post class change scene in the J2E translation. More "bastard."

KingMike

• Forum Moderator
  • *sigh* A changed avatar. Big deal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: September 16, 2012, 10:17:59 pm »
I was only know reading about Damcyan. I'm surprised you didn't bring up the FF6 character Edward/Edgar.
I'd guess the changed FF6 Edward to Edgar not only because Edgar is a much less common name in modern usage, but also so players wouldn't associate the two.

Yes, I'm also pretty certain "holy" was among the words Nintendo of America banned from games of the era. Couldn't say devil or kill either. Causing the FF6 holy element to get changed to "pearl".
Oddly "sacred" was fine. As I recall the holy element was referred to as "sacred power" when using the Libra/Peep spell/skill to see an enemy's weakness in FF2.
Of course one SNES title was changed from "Triforce of the Gods" to "A Link to the Past", but also another game called HolyStriker was renamed FireStriker.
I know Holy Diver for the Famicom was announced to get an NES release with the same title. Makes us wonder if that name would've been kept had it been released.
Sir Howard Stringer, chief executive of Sony, on Christmas sales of the PS3:
"It's a little fortuitous that the Wii is running out of hardware."