logo
 drop

Main

Community

Submissions

Help

78250170 visitors

Author Topic: So what's the best RPG you've played in the past five years?  (Read 17457 times)

fairdenizen

• America's Individuality
    • View Profile
Re: So what's the best RPG you've played in the past five years?
« Reply #40 on: August 25, 2011, 02:49:10 pm »
FF7 was "meh" for me, it was great for you.  It's all a matter of opinion is all.

Well, I remember reading somewhere that Sakaguchi left Square halfway through FF9's development.  And as far as my experience goes, you could blatantly tell when he left.  The first part of FF9 was good though, I'll give you that.  Especially the first five hours or so.  But again, if you love the game, good for you man.  If we all agreed this would be a very boring forum.

This would be reasonable if I were trying to convince you to like the games and you  had the opinion that you personally didn't like them, but you were obviously trying to argue the mediocre-ness of them, where there is none. Not even in the second part of 9. I guarantee you even if Sakaguchi left (didn't know this), those story boards were done as can be. You don't start a high budget title like 9 and only have half of the game worked out.

KaioShin

• View Profile
    • The Romhacking Aerie
« Reply #41 on: August 25, 2011, 02:52:14 pm »
You don't start a high budget title like 9 and only have half of the game worked out.

They even released FFXIII with half of the game not being worked out - they focused everything on cutscenes first and did the dungeons last and then noticed that they had no more time and just left the straight as an arrow path crap. Read some developer blogs from around the industry, stuff gets majorly rewritten last minute all the time. 

DankPanties

• retired
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 25, 2011, 02:58:01 pm »
but you were obviously trying to argue the mediocre-ness of them, where there is none.

From a presentation standpoint, even a game mechanics standpoint, that's all just fine.  The audio visual aspects are top notch.  I just found the story, scenarios, characters, and things of that nature to be mediocre.  That whole "belonging" thing, it wasn't there for me.  But don't get miffed just because I think those games aren't so great man.  We agree on other things.

Read some developer blogs from around the industry, stuff gets majorly rewritten last minute all the time.

After all the post mortems I've read on Gamasutra, that statement is sadly very very true.

Darkmoon

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 25, 2011, 02:59:01 pm »
I was actually going to menton Mother 3 probably. But I wasnt certain I played it 5 years ago. It's a hard choice between that and Fallout 1, but I played that moooore than 5 years ago, and have been recently replaying it.

Most likely you did, the game has only been out slightly longer than 5 years, with the patch dating to 2008.  =p

I'm not sure if it's the best rpg I've played in the last 5 years, but it ranks highly for me.  I can't even remember all I've played in the last 5 years though.   

fairdenizen

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: August 25, 2011, 03:03:47 pm »
They even released FFXIII with half of the game not being worked out - they focused everything on cutscenes first and did the dungeons last and then noticed that they had no more time and just left the straight as an arrow path crap. Read some developer blogs from around the industry, stuff gets majorly rewritten last minute all the time.

Everytime I hear news of this game, I pray to the forces that have kept me from playing it.

BRPXQZME

• everything sucks forever
    • View Profile
    • The BRPXQZME Network
« Reply #45 on: August 25, 2011, 03:13:40 pm »
But Mother 2 as a video game type experience is one of the best there is and I would implore anyone who hasn't played it to do so, and to ignore any doubts they may have about it in its initial moments. It's a slow burn.
this this this
we are in a horrible and deadly danger

fairdenizen

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: August 25, 2011, 03:17:51 pm »
this this this

Was just reminded of the greatest video game soundtrack of all time.

:'(

vivify93

• Change your way, it’s gonna be alright…
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: August 25, 2011, 03:36:28 pm »
I can't just name one. I'd have to go with naming a top three.

1. Lufia: Curse of the Sinistrals
Excellent re-imagining of one of my favorite games. I've always liked real time battle systems over turn based. The localization and voicing and even the rewritten story were all full of love - just like the original. That's something I find extremely rare these days.

2. Breath of Fire V: Dragon Quarter
An intense story that I really got into. For as much anxiety as I felt when hearing about this game, it sure kicks ass. An intriguing battle system that had me screaming and cursing in both fear, surprise and anger, and when I do that you know I love a game. :p It's definitely my favorite of the series by far.

3. Final Fantasy XII
I really felt like I could get into this world. For example, I could insert myself into the team and the story would welcome me. There were a multitude of things to do, but not completely sandbox like Romancing SaGa. Deep, detailed lore and beautiful, scenic locations. FFXII's Ivalice is definitely the one video game world I would love to live in.

...Buuut, since the question was only for a single choice... FFXII. It's the only game that has kept me thinking of it outside the game itself.
[...] right here we have an example of the capacity human beings have for altruistic behavior...

...We call it romhacking.net. ;)

Cryomancer

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: August 25, 2011, 05:47:00 pm »
Dragon Quest V.  The game that proves you can have a high fantasy setting and a save the world quest, yet still be very memorable, unique, and personally-motivated storyline.
weird video game comic translations:
http://opentrain.theyear199x.org/

Neil

• Submission Reviewer
  • Circuit Rider
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: August 25, 2011, 06:49:09 pm »
Past 5 years doesn't go far back enough. I replayed Star Ocean 2 in 2006 which I think was late enough in the year to qualify. I'll go with that. I loved that game. I've heard a lot of hate aimed towards it, it but the battle system was epic and the gameplay was supurb. Free roaming slaughter fest with enough customizability to keep my attention. I've always been more about gameplay than story (which is why when I first tried FF8 and realized you couldn't skip the annoying as fuck FMVs, I shut it off. I did eventually make it to the orphanage scene and when I saw that plot twist I gave up completely).

fairdenizen

• View Profile
« Reply #50 on: August 25, 2011, 08:32:30 pm »
Read some developer blogs from around the industry, stuff gets majorly rewritten last minute all the time.

Actually, reading blogs about this kind of thing sounds really interesting and I'm surprised I don't already do it.

Would you mind linking me to a few of your favorites to get started? Preferably anything to do with RPG/Visual Novel/Fighting game.

DankPanties

• retired
    • View Profile

fairdenizen

• View Profile
« Reply #52 on: August 26, 2011, 12:46:58 pm »
sweet. Thanks for the start.

KaioShin

• View Profile
    • The Romhacking Aerie
« Reply #53 on: August 26, 2011, 12:51:31 pm »
Yeah I just follow general gaming sites like 4players (German). They usually link to interesting background stories that pop up in deverloper blogs. Keeping track manually of all the blogs out there would be quite an undertaking even with rss feeds. Just finding them all... But the good stuff will get reposted all around the net in 9 out of 10 cases. Some of this info also comes from interviews, not all developers have their own blogs, though IMO it's a bit behind the times to not have one nowadays.

Draken

• The Lost Son
    • View Profile
    • Dynamic Designs
« Reply #54 on: August 26, 2011, 09:03:54 pm »
Sorry to go back on topic... But Xenoblade~!  I'm 20 hours in, and this is really the best RPG I have played in a very, very long time!  Get your import copy today!

Dragoon ZERO

• wasteland wanderer
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: August 26, 2011, 11:07:13 pm »
Mass Effect 2. I even replayed the final mission earlier just to make sure  ;)

The original Fallout is right up there too (I was a little late to the WRPG party)

The gameplay is not stellar. At least, not in the way we've been trained by the games press/dudes on the internet to think about gameplay. But Mother 2 as a video game type experience is one of the best there is and I would implore anyone who hasn't played it to do so, and to ignore any doubts they may have about it in its initial moments. It's a slow burn.
+1

cj iwakura

• The Rhythm Rogue
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: August 27, 2011, 12:09:02 pm »
I would say Nocturne, but I'm pretty sure it's older than five years.

So my answer would probably be Demon's Souls. Simply never gets old.

Failing that, The Witcher.

Also, I really enjoyed FF13. The game felt focused, and the experience was the better for it.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2011, 12:18:56 pm by cj iwakura »

"I'm so happy that I'm crying. I finally get another chance to kill you."
"Die screaming in Hell." -Fumiko OV

I.S.T.

• Forum Moderator
  • I AM NO-AVATAR MAN!
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: August 27, 2011, 01:20:19 pm »
I think he means what you've played in the last five years... Doesn't matter how old the game itself is.
http://www.smashwords.com/books/view/12534 The Dragon Thing To Do: The Dragon Creed

Next Gen Cowboy

• "People are like dice"
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: August 27, 2011, 02:02:00 pm »
I have to break this down into two distinct catagories

Western RPG: Mass Effect 2 (and as I've stated I owned the game on Hardcore, and loved every minute of it)

JRPG: Although released in 04 I finally beat Nocturne 2 years ago, and that takes the cake.

Much like Neil though SO2 is my "penultimate" RPG =p
"Remember when we were in Japan? You said you were my gun, if you're the gun then that means I'm the bullet."

"All my life I've been waiting for the gunpowder to go off, you know what you need to ignite gunpowder? You need a gun."

SargeSmash

• View Profile
« Reply #59 on: August 27, 2011, 03:38:10 pm »
I'm really heartened to see the love for Star Ocean 2.  And I've shilled for it before, so I'll do it again:  try Star Ocean: First Departure if you haven't already.  Awesome stuff, there.
For what shall it profit a man, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?  -- Mark 8:36