logo
 drop

Main

Community

Submissions

Help

84278264 visitors

Author Topic: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night HACKED (NO! I am not dead. lol)  (Read 27115 times)

Esco

• View Profile
1st off: seeing as how successor has shut down his forums for the time being, I had to relocate my thread for the project (again.... fuck) to here: http://castlevaniadungeon.net/forums/index.php?topic=2931.0

HUGE UPDATE: My biggest issue with hacking the stages has now officially vanished. See the pic below:

This is a screenshot of the lower left quadrant of vram in a room in the chapel... as you can see every enemy in the stage has been loaded into vram, and even object type sprites. Those of you who know a little bit about programming, probably already know what I am about to say, but for those of you who don't it means that I have after over TWO YEARS found a way to control what is loaded into vram and where! This eliminates the biggest problem I had: not being able to put enemies wherever I wanted to put them (in the past they would come out scrambled or invisible due to this). The only limitation is that the enemy MUST APPEAR in the current stage (only the enemies that appear in the stage have their AI and gxf stored in the stage file, thus making them loadable)!

Many thanks go to Nyxojaele for this! He spent about 4 hours on IM with me showing me how it could be done, and then this info combined with my findings allowed me to figure the rest out. Thanks also go out to Gemini, who provided me with some VERY useful info years ago that helped me to figure out how to change some necessary values as well!

Also.... here is a quick animation of the new gates that will be used in my rooms to close them off when you have to kill all the enemies to proceed forward (it has been slowed down so it is easier to see; the actual one is MUCH faster):

It is a 9 tile animation (I couldn't use sprites due to limitations), but even though it is using tiles as you can see it is not choppy looking at all. These are the exact gates from curse of darkness, rendered into beautiful 2d. :P

EDIT: smoothed out the above gate to make it blend better. Here is a screenshot:

EDIT 2: FIXED THE BROKEN LINK to the forums... sorry peoples.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2011, 12:26:34 am by Esco »
Esco.... the original, Nuyorican, Latin Lover! And Creator of the Castlevania: Symphony of the Night hack!

The blog on the Castlevania: SOTN HACKED project: http://sotnhacked.wordpress.com/

Gemini

• 時を越えよう、そして彼女の元に戻ろう
    • View Profile
    • Devil Hackers' Nest
Re: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night HACKED (NO! I am not dead. lol)
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2011, 02:43:06 am »
1st off: seeing as how successor has shut down his forums for the time being, I had to relocate my thread for the project (again.... fuck) to here: http://castlevaniadungeon.net/forums/index.php?topic=2931.0
Do yourself a favor and just create a blog with all the progress on wordpress or something, instead of starting threads everywhere and providing links to like a ton different discussions nobody here (and I suppose everywhere else) really cares about! This is like the 20th time I've seen you informing us how the last forum board has just died on you. Your fans will appreciate, I'm sure. ;)
I am the lord, you all know my name, now. I got it all: cash, money, and fame.

Esco

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2011, 03:35:11 am »
How did I know you would pop up in here WHINING about having to check another forum, Gemini? You are such a lady.  :P

But seriously, that is a really good idea, bro. I would still have to post quick updates on various forums for peoples to see, but the blog would be an excellent way for me to keep track of everything online concerning the hack.

I went ahead and created the page here: http://sotnhacked.wordpress.com/2011/05/03/hello-world/?trashed=1&ids=1

There is nothing on it yet of course, but thanks for the brilliant idea.  8)
Esco.... the original, Nuyorican, Latin Lover! And Creator of the Castlevania: Symphony of the Night hack!

The blog on the Castlevania: SOTN HACKED project: http://sotnhacked.wordpress.com/

Special T

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2011, 07:22:14 am »
A couple of weeks ago I was looking for an update on your hack but had a hard time finding any information.... this is perfect,  I just saved the link to my favorites   :)

Nightcrawler

• View Profile
    • Nightcrawler's Translation Corporation
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2011, 09:41:16 am »
I find this amusing. This is the 4th or 5th Symphony of the Night topic you've made here. Over the past 4 years, each time you come here, you tell us about Forum X, Y, or Z. Sometimes it's how great the other forum is. Sometimes it was how you won't be coming back to read responses. Now here were are today, forum x, y and z are all dead and yet RHDN is still here. It's probably the most reliable forum you go to (or don't go to from what you say). However, once again, you move to another forum and repeat the process. It's really quite laughable. I really don't see the logic.

All I can say is thank goodness you got yourself a blog. Hopefully this will put an end to the madness. :)

If you're thinking about responding to this post, stop. Take that motivation, take that time, take a day off from the gym, lock the door, turn your cell phone off (or that girl of yours will interrupt you), turn the web cam off (I'm afraid your affinity toward self pictures will distract you.) and instead go work on that hack so you can finally finish it up! :P
TransCorp - Over 15 years of community dedication.
Dual Orb 2, Wozz, Emerald Dragon, Tenshi No Uta, Herakles IV SFC/SNES Translations

Esco

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2011, 01:40:00 pm »
A couple of weeks ago I was looking for an update on your hack but had a hard time finding any information.... this is perfect,  I just saved the link to my favorites   :)

Special T: I am sorry that I kept you guys waiting like that. But I am glad that this will make things easier for you.

I find this amusing. This is the 4th or 5th Symphony of the Night topic you've made here. Over the past 4 years, each time you come here, you tell us about Forum X, Y, or Z. Sometimes it's how great the other forum is. Sometimes it was how you won't be coming back to read responses. Now here were are today, forum x, y and z are all dead and yet RHDN is still here. It's probably the most reliable forum you go to (or don't go to from what you say). However, once again, you move to another forum and repeat the process. It's really quite laughable. I really don't see the logic.

I have never been big on forums, and still am not. But I have my reasons why I operate in this manner and they will stay the same regardless of what anyone thinks.

All I can say is thank goodness you got yourself a blog. Hopefully this will put an end to the madness. :)

It won't. Somebody will complain about having to go to it. Not that I will care of course. :)

If you're thinking about responding to this post, stop. Take that motivation, take that time, take a day off from the gym, lock the door, turn your cell phone off (or that girl of yours will interrupt you), turn the web cam off (I'm afraid your affinity toward self pictures will distract you.) and instead go work on that hack so you can finally finish it up! :P

No.  8)

P.S. My girl took that pic... I don't even have a webcam. You should really not take shots in the dark like that.... it makes you look like a clown. :P

Nightcrawler

• View Profile
    • Nightcrawler's Translation Corporation
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2011, 08:43:10 am »
... it makes you look like a clown. :P

Yes, that was pretty much the point. ;)

I think you have one or two other projects, don't you? Strider 2 comes to mind. Your blog should probably be home to all your projects.
TransCorp - Over 15 years of community dedication.
Dual Orb 2, Wozz, Emerald Dragon, Tenshi No Uta, Herakles IV SFC/SNES Translations

Esco

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2011, 02:56:54 pm »

I think you have one or two other projects, don't you? Strider 2 comes to mind. Your blog should probably be home to all your projects.

.................... Strider 2 project? What Strider 2 project?  :-X

Sadly that thing is gone.... hard drive crash. :( Luckily I backed up this Hack to about 4 places. No worries though, the strider 2 hack wasn't anything toooooooooooooo major, I can always do it all over again in a day. That's actually what motivated me to go back to this hack. I figured why redo that one, when I could keep working on this one instead.

PLiberty

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2011, 01:55:27 pm »
Is there any chance you can implement a playable Maria into Symphony?

Also, are those the gates from Nosferatu?

Esco

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2011, 03:48:32 pm »
Is there any chance you can implement a playable Maria into Symphony?

I have found a way to do it; but it would involve a hack just replacing Alucard's gfx & weapon's gfx in ram, and then just having to code in stuff like the attacks. But to date, I still do not know a way to do the sounds, since her sounds just do not exist in the iso. It would also be a HUGE amount of work to do, and at the moment it is not something I am willing to do.

Also, are those the gates from Nosferatu?

............. what? NO! lol they are from castlevania: curse of darkness.  8)

Notymenow

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2011, 10:09:53 pm »

.................... Strider 2 project? What Strider 2 project?  :-X

Sadly that thing is gone.... hard drive crash. :( Luckily I backed up this Hack to about 4 places. No worries though, the strider 2 hack wasn't anything toooooooooooooo major, I can always do it all over again in a day. That's actually what motivated me to go back to this hack. I figured why redo that one, when I could keep working on this one instead.

Well, At least you have it somewhat backed up...I assume....(so quoth you!)

And said Maria news is a great(if somewhat non-existant) boon!

Esco

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 13, 2011, 11:05:52 pm »
I have put up an update on the blog: http://sotnhacked.wordpress.com/2011/05/13/update-51311/

Everyone, please feel free to check it out. I hope to get a new video out this coming week as well!

May 18, 2011, 11:21:06 pm - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)
The video is up! Please go to the blog to see it. Enjoy!  8)

http://sotnhacked.wordpress.com/
« Last Edit: May 18, 2011, 11:21:06 pm by Esco »

Esco

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 27, 2011, 01:28:35 pm »
The Royal Chapel stage is completed; the blog has been updated with some info and screenshots.

Esco

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 21, 2011, 05:48:32 pm »
The blog has again been updated with my progress, and I am updating it now on a multiple times a week basis.

For the moment I am looking into taking the hack in a new direction that will hopefully allow me to get things done MUCH faster and much more efficiently using gamemaker. I know that everyone has to be tired of waiting so I really want to try and get something out for everyone to play with and enjoy.

I had heard a lot of rumors about GM being unstable, glitchy and rather lacking in control..... but judging by my experiences so far in the last 2-3 weeks I can tell you now that is completely false. Sadly, the reason it is labeled as such is because generally it is used by people who have absolutely NO idea what they are doing, and rely on drag & drop instead of coding.

Check the blog for more details.

I.S.T.

• Forum Moderator
  • I AM NO-AVATAR MAN!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 21, 2011, 06:05:44 pm »
GM?
http://www.smashwords.com/books/view/12534 The Dragon Thing To Do: The Dragon Creed

Azkadellia

• Forum Moderator
  • 提交向你的情妇!
    • View Profile
    • Princess Translations
Current Projects:
  • Nurvus: 10%
  • Princess Maker 2 Refine: 45%
  • ScriptTool: 25%
  • EditTool: 90%
I do the Twitter thing now: https://twitter.com/MistressSaeko (expect lots of game streaming announcements)

gadesx

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 29, 2011, 03:18:19 am »
with game maker you can me something like a SDK (I wanna say a main base of all sotn features very editable)
its interesting too.

Esco

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 01, 2011, 04:22:12 am »
Another update has been put up on the blog: this one should be HUGE news to anyone who is like me and ABHORS the idea of using a keyboard to play SOTN.  8)

EDIT: Just so you guys know what a PAIN in the ass duplicating the view in SOTN was, here is the comments section from the top of it with all the details on how it works:

///////////////////The View in SOTN//
//
//the view is set so that it is the equivalent of 256*206 in GM; for the horizontal view, the full tile is show on both sides of
//the screen at all times. //Generally, on the horizontal sides it ends with 2 tiles on each extreme left/right of the room; nice
//and simple. The vertical view is a bit more complex: when the player is at the extreme top and bottom of the room, it stops
//when the top & bottom tiles are half shown in view (each tile is 16x16). HOWEVER, all other times the view normally
//stops when the tile on the bottom of the screen has only 1/4th of it shown (4 pixels) and the top block has 3/4th's
//of it shown (12 pixels). This code below PAINSTAIKINGLY duplicates this. It uses several variables (all listed below)
//that are declared in the hitbox object's create script. I also had to acount for the fact that if you are hugging the ceiling
//or floor as a bat when either view suddenly was set back to the normal limit (top & bottom of the screen) that in SOTN
//it SLOWLY adjusts to where it should be rather than instantly jerking into place.
//
//The view is limited in game by objects that place a limit on any of the 4 sides, and then another to reenable it. the vertical view
//is disabled a few times in the game (though not often relatively speaking). The horizontal view is rarely disabled; I in fact
//can only think of 1 instance where it is: in the intro stage when fighting Dracula.

//Variables Involved:
//Disable Hscroll/Vscroll: indicates if some part of the view is limited.
//Disable_hscroll: 1 = left side limited, 2 = right side limited, 3 = both limited
//Disable_vscroll: 1 = top side limited, 2 = bottom side limited, 3 = both limited
//
//left/right/etc. limit: hold the limit on all 4 sides of the screen. If no part is disabled they are defaulted as listed below:
//left_limit: 32 (2 tiles)
//right_limit: room_width-32
//bottom_limit: 40 (2.5 tiles)
//top_limit: room_height-16 (1 tile)
//
//to set these limitson the object put the mouse over where you want the view to stop in the room editor (y and x sizes
//should be set to 4 each). Next if on the top add 1; if on the bottom subtract 1. Set these in the creation script for the object.
//The Disable object needs this value; however both the enable/disable objects must have the correct disable_xxxxx value
//in them to work right.
//
//set left/right/etc. view: used when the view is changed and needs to be slowly adjusted. This will make sure that if you are
//hugging that side of the screen that was just changed, it won't jerk but instead move slowly into place.
//For all four, 1 = view has been set already and doesn't need adjusting; if = 0 needs adjusting
//The vars are: set_left_view, set_right_view, set_bottom_view, set_top_view

* A quick note: when I say above that a tile is shown a certain amount at all times, I mean when standing on a flat 16x16 tile for the vertical, and when standing right next to a flat 16x16 tile for the horizontal.

Long story short: the h view was easy; the v view was hell. lol
« Last Edit: July 02, 2011, 06:05:27 am by Esco »

Prince Valmont

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 04, 2011, 05:24:34 pm »
Just a question: If the format is being moved over to GameMaker, does this mean that the project is no longer a "Rom Hack" as it becomes a "custom game" for PC? Because this started off as a Rom hack of the PSX game. If Esco finishes and releases his SOTN hack, people won't be able to play the game on hardware/PSX emulators, right? I'm not 100% sure on how GameMaker works.

Vanya

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 06, 2011, 02:39:47 pm »
Allow me to answer this one. The way Esco was doing the hack didn't allow it to run on hardware at all and on emulator it required extra software. The new format is a stand-alone game for PC via GameMaker. GameMaker is exclusively for PC & Mac. As far as I know Esco isn't planning on a Mac port.