logo
 drop

Main

Community

Submissions

Help

84311020 visitors

Author Topic: Final Fantasy VII NES Project (Completed!)  (Read 295375 times)

Lugia2009

• View Profile
Re: Final Fantasy VII NES Project
« Reply #480 on: April 19, 2012, 04:40:43 pm »
Looking good but may I ask how far you've gotten with this hack ?
Have you been editing the game here and there or going straightforward from the beginning (and gotten up to Kalm now) ?
There are some screenshots of other places too (at least in first page) so I just thought of asking.

I don't mind.
I've been working my way from the beginning of the game to the end. Except for when I jumped ahead and finished Nibelheim (just not the NPCs).

I think you redo the "main" post so that it would show what you've done with this hack, link for the newest patch file etc.

That's a good idea.
Enjoy Dissidia 012: Final Fantasy? Check out my Dissidia mods!
http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCz7Z1YGQQul86jnYZzBh5fw/videos

detox420

• View Profile
« Reply #481 on: April 19, 2012, 06:43:29 pm »
So im also playing thru the game. im up to the point where i just finished cosmo canyon and beat the boss in gongaga. I have absolutely no idea what todo now. and up to this point ive only noticed 1 glitch sometimes the text goes crazy and puts up like 20 empty text boxes before it continues the conversation again. its not really an issue cuz it corrects its self. but awesome work so far. if anyone could assist me on where togo i understand thats off topic but i dont have that many places to ask hahahaha! Thank you!

Edit- SO i finally found out in cosmo canyon the left side of the exit and the right side of the exit teleport you 2 places. you should really split it up so other dummies like me dont search around leveling for 10 hours hahahahaha. Also i had cid as a character i could equip too and use before i ever actually had him as a character i just got to the rocket  and hes been in my party since before i posted this post. also in the pause menu none of  my characters names show up.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2012, 07:48:36 pm by detox420 »

Chpexo

• View Profile
« Reply #482 on: April 19, 2012, 09:54:16 pm »
It would not offend me if you edited the first area of the game, I only edited it as a demonstration.

detox420

• View Profile
« Reply #483 on: April 19, 2012, 10:15:21 pm »
I also find it wayyyyyy to easy to level/get gill.

Lugia2009

• View Profile
« Reply #484 on: April 19, 2012, 10:23:06 pm »
Edit- SO i finally found out in cosmo canyon the left side of the exit and the right side of the exit teleport you 2 places. you should really split it up so other dummies like me dont search around leveling for 10 hours hahahahaha.

:laugh: Sorry, I forgot to mention that.

To everyone, here's a picture showing where the teleport tiles for Cosmo Canyon lead to.

Also i had cid as a character i could equip too and use before i ever actually had him as a character i just got to the rocket  and hes been in my party since before i posted this post.

When did you first notice Cid become a party member?

also in the pause menu none of  my characters names show up.

I never had that happen to me, what version of the game did you patch?

It would not offend me if you edited the first area of the game, I only edited it as a demonstration.

Alright, I could change it around a bit.

The weapon shop in Kalm is done.

detox420

• View Profile
« Reply #485 on: April 19, 2012, 11:26:52 pm »
When did you first notice Cid become a party member?

I never had that happen to me, what version of the game did you patch?
Well i read on page 32
Cant post the roms here. Do a search for "Final Fantasy VII (NJ063) (Ch)". You then need to dowload an IPS patcher from this site under Utlities section and simply patch the rom with that.
so i did a google search for "Final Fantasy VII (NJ063) (Ch)" and the only trustable link i could find with ease was a link to a demonoid torrent. I have an account there so i used it.
 it was called "Final Fantasy VII (NJ063) (Ch) [T+Eng97%_Xaronyr_EnCardier].zip"
 and the rom was labeled "Final Fantasy VII (NJ063) (Ch) [T+Eng97%_Xaronyr_EnCardier].nes"
 i patched that with the latest IPS you gave and used "Lunar IPS" Ill take some screen shots to show you what i mean with the characters names not showing up.
Also I noticed Cid in my party Sometime inbetween completing corel prison and beating those guys in the room RedXIII's Dad is in I dont change party members often so i didnt notice right away.

If you think its because i dont have the same game version as you. Please PM me.

DarknessSavior

• Darkness.
    • View Profile
    • DS: No, not the Nintendo one.
« Reply #486 on: April 20, 2012, 12:15:49 am »
You spelled it out yourself. The ROM in the torrent was already patched (that's the "[T+Eng97%_Xaronyr_EnCardier]" part of the filename. You need to find a clean ROM to apply the patch to.

~DS
Red Comet: :'( Poor DS. Nobody loves him like RC does. :'(
Sliver-X: LET ME INFRINGE UPON IT WITH MY MOUTH
DSRH - Currently working on: Demon's Blazon, Romancing SaGa, FFIV EasyType.
http://www.youtube.com/user/DarknessSavior

detox420

• View Profile
« Reply #487 on: April 20, 2012, 01:27:53 am »
You spelled it out yourself. The ROM in the torrent was already patched (that's the "[T+Eng97%_Xaronyr_EnCardier]" part of the filename. You need to find a clean ROM to apply the patch to.

~DS

Yea i kinda figured. Thanks tho If anyone wants to PM me and shoot me in the right direction thatd be cool. Thanks :D

-Edit Found one. Not sure if i should post the link or not cuz technically this rom isnt an officialy licensed game anyways if anyone  wants it PM me. but its shitty i gotta start over..........

@Lugia2009 Whens the Next Patch update?
@Anyone Is it possible to make the save states from my other game work on this one?

Edit 2 - F It im just gonna start all over.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2012, 02:14:19 am by detox420 »

Lugia2009

• View Profile
« Reply #488 on: April 20, 2012, 09:10:57 am »
To find a unpatched version of the game google: "Anyone know where to get the final fantasy 7 NES rom download?"

@Anyone Is it possible to make the save states from my other game work on this one?

You just have to make sure that the file name is exactly the same as before.

@Lugia2009 Whens the Next Patch update?

It probably won't be for a while, maybe when I get the next twenty maps fixed.

detox420

• View Profile
« Reply #489 on: April 20, 2012, 02:33:43 pm »
@Everyone who helped!
Much love and thanks lugia!

@anyone Also playing the game thru
SO ive just finished the Ancient Temple and had cloud give the Black Materia to Sephiroth, now im back at gongaga. I know where im sposed to go, the northern most continent, only one issue now that i dont have the buggy or the Ship im really confused on how to progress. thanks.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2012, 02:39:08 pm by detox420 »

syntax error

• View Profile
« Reply #490 on: April 20, 2012, 03:44:40 pm »
You need the crashed airplane to travel to the various ports like in FF I-III.

detox420

• View Profile
« Reply #491 on: April 20, 2012, 07:33:45 pm »
Yea i dont have access to it i think it was just my savestate from the other rom that messed it up. so im just gonna play thru it again so i can be of some actual use. Thank you tho

Lugia2009

• View Profile
« Reply #492 on: April 20, 2012, 11:12:12 pm »
SO ive just finished the Ancient Temple and had cloud give the Black Materia to Sephiroth, now im back at gongaga. I know where im sposed to go, the northern most continent, only one issue now that i dont have the buggy or the Ship im really confused on how to progress. thanks.

Thank you soooo much for finding this! :) I would've missed it otherwise. I found out why the game was doing this. I missed one of the events linked to the world map. When the gongaga event is triggered, the game also sends the tiny bronco to a different part of the world map. But I found out how to change this and now the tiny bronco appears right outside of gongaga.

Let me know if you find any other problems.

To fix this, go to 0x01563c and type 5BCD.

Or here's a link to the fixed patch: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/23698591/Final%20Fantasy%20VII%20NES%2004-13-2012.ips

It's a patch over the original chinese version.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2012, 11:24:09 pm by Lugia2009 »

Chpexo

• View Profile
« Reply #493 on: April 21, 2012, 12:12:50 am »

detox420

• View Profile
« Reply #494 on: April 21, 2012, 05:14:03 pm »
Thank you soooo much for finding this! :) I would've missed it otherwise. I found out why the game was doing this. I missed one of the events linked to the world map. When the gongaga event is triggered, the game also sends the tiny bronco to a different part of the world map. But I found out how to change this and now the tiny bronco appears right outside of gongaga.

Let me know if you find any other problems.

To fix this, go to 0x01563c and type 5BCD.

Or here's a link to the fixed patch: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/23698591/Final%20Fantasy%20VII%20NES%2004-13-2012.ips

It's a patch over the original chinese version.

no no no, Thank you for fixing it! I cannot wait to beat the game again!

*whistles*
New save states for Fceux.

Your a goddamn life savor i only had one save state i had just been writing over! Thank you to all who help i cannot wait to see this completed. Amazing job guys!

Lugia2009

• View Profile
« Reply #495 on: April 22, 2012, 07:58:27 pm »
no no no, Thank you for fixing it! I cannot wait to beat the game again!

Happy to help :)

The rest of Kalm is done:

Armor shop

Inn

House

vivify93

• Change your way, it’s gonna be alright…
    • View Profile
« Reply #496 on: April 23, 2012, 01:07:11 am »
Great job! I'm playing a bit of the newest patch right now because I want to suggest some menu improvements, and one thing I notice right now is that the battle and main menus are inconsistent...

The battle menu uses an FFVII-style hand and thin borders...

...While the main menu uses thicker borders and the traditional NES FF hand. Is there a way to fix this?

Okay, on to the suggested improvements. The very first thing thing you're going to notice overall is that the menus use a darker shade of gray for the borders - is it possible to do this? Because it'd probably look a lot better.

The second change is a slight order of consistency for the dialogue boxes. As you know, they're white with black text and varying borders originally, while all other menus use blue with white text and gray borders. I know the borders' variation is out of your control due to NES palette limitations, but would it be possible to make the blue background and white text combination or no?

EDIT: If the above can't be done, you could just do away with the gray / varying color entirely.

The next is the big one for me: the main menu. I think the character portraits should be displayed there somehow. I've made a mock up of it, but I don't know if it's doable... Also, something should be done about that big blank space by the gil display; a location indicator maybe?

After that comes the status and equipment menus. Can you somehow remove the border around the character portraits and center them more like I have here? I personally think it looks a lot more aesthetically pleasing.

Another thing with the equipment menu is that you'll notice I gave color to the originally all-white icons (even the miniature ones!) If it's possible to make them look a little more like that, I'd be willing to make versions of all icons that look like this.

I have no other comments as the rest of the patch is superb! :thumbsup: Great job, everyone!
[...] right here we have an example of the capacity human beings have for altruistic behavior...

...We call it romhacking.net. ;)

Lugia2009

• View Profile
« Reply #497 on: April 23, 2012, 11:49:03 am »
The battle menu uses an FFVII-style hand and thin borders...
...While the main menu uses thicker borders and the traditional NES FF hand. Is there a way to fix this?

That shouldn't be a problem

Okay, on to the suggested improvements. The very first thing thing you're going to notice overall is that the menus use a darker shade of gray for the borders - is it possible to do this? Because it'd probably look a lot better.

Yeah, I can make the gray darker for menu boxes.

The second change is a slight order of consistency for the dialogue boxes. As you know, they're white with black text and varying borders originally, while all other menus use blue with white text and gray borders. I know the borders' variation is out of your control due to NES palette limitations, but would it be possible to make the blue background and white text combination or no?

I would love to, but unfortunately the dialogue boxes can't be fixed. The map colors are also used for the dialogue box. Also the color for character mugshots share the character sprite colors. So I'm not able to change the backround of the dialogue box to anything but white, or else all white parts on the character's mugshots will also change color.
Plus, since the dialogue boxes share the map's colors, that's why the border color changes to different colors sometimes.

The next is the big one for me: the main menu. I think the character portraits should be displayed there somehow. I've made a mock up of it, but I don't know if it's doable

That may be doable, maybe in the same way the character mugshots are called to appear during the dialogue. I just need to insert a @ and a 2 digit number in front of each character's name. I'm not 100% sure if it would work, but it might.

Also, something should be done about that big blank space by the gil display; a location indicator maybe?

That shouldn't be a problem.

After that comes the status and equipment menus. Can you somehow remove the border around the character portraits and center them more like I have here? I personally think it looks a lot more aesthetically pleasing.

Removing the border should be easy, I'll see what I can do about moving the mugshot.

Another thing with the equipment menu is that you'll notice I gave color to the originally all-white icons (even the miniature ones!) If it's possible to make them look a little more like that, I'd be willing to make versions of all icons that look like this.

That shouldn't be a problem. Thank you for making them, they look good. :thumbsup:

I have no other comments as the rest of the patch is superb!  Great job, everyone!

Thanks  :)

vivify93

• Change your way, it’s gonna be alright…
    • View Profile
« Reply #498 on: April 23, 2012, 05:48:10 pm »
Lugia2009, thank you for being so kind! I always get unsure and feel like I'm treading on someone else's territory when I make a large amount of suggestions, or even one "big" suggestion. I'll get to work on the icons right away, thank you! :)

EDIT: Never mind what was originally here, it works just fine. :p

Oh, and I had one more thing I didn't suggest in my haste - would it be possible to put the weapon icons before the names? Like how I had it in my example...

The game, as of now, will show

Buster[sword icon]

And most fan translations (And FFII US) would use...

[sword icon]Buster

I know text may be out of the scope of the project, but it'd be possible to change it, right?

EDIT: I finished the new icons.

Top row (Miniature equipment icons) - Not gonna lie, the majority of these were taken from FFIV. The scarf was given a little color and a shadow. The gun is from Chrono Trigger. The fist is the gauntlet icon from the Japanese, unaltered version of FFIII and flipped a bit. The megaphone was given a gray band and a shadow. The materia... I still have no idea what to do with it. Right now it's a slightly blown up version of FFIV's Eidolon icon.

Middle row (Large equipment icons) - These are just the ones from the mockup above. Changed their outlines to black, filled 'em in with white and gray, etc.

Bottom row (Elemental icons) - I did the same as the above, except I didn't make these beforehand.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2012, 09:28:55 pm by vivify93 »
[...] right here we have an example of the capacity human beings have for altruistic behavior...

...We call it romhacking.net. ;)

detox420

• View Profile
« Reply #499 on: April 24, 2012, 02:54:29 am »
I wanted to play this game on the go. So I installed an emulator for the nes on my Droid phone. Every other game works great except this one. I had issues on the computer as well but eventually I found and emu that worked. But couldnt find one that worked for my Droid. Is there any that anyone knows of? Or anyone who can help