logo
 drop

Main

Community

Submissions

Help

83960885 visitors

Author Topic: Dragon Ball  (Read 7907 times)

BRPXQZME

• everything sucks forever
    • View Profile
    • The BRPXQZME Network
Re: Dragon Ball
« Reply #20 on: April 10, 2011, 01:36:11 pm »
You wonder? The surprise would be if it weren’t.
we are in a horrible and deadly danger

enigmaopoeia

• View Profile
    • Memories of Fear
« Reply #21 on: April 10, 2011, 01:52:16 pm »
Your post got me thinking, I wonder if コンペイ とう [Konpei Tō] is a pun on 金米糖 "Konpeitou" [confetti candy] and in that case カリン塔 [Karin Tō] is 花林糖 "Karintou" ["fried dough candy"] (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Karinto). Kind of like the other puns in Dragon Ball like underwear and refrigeration units, I wonder if there is a candy/snack theme going on here?

Of course, why wouldn't there be?  =D  Also here's a link to kompeitō for anyone curious @ http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kompeit%C5%8D

Though knowing how the Dragon Ball series love their puns -- I don't know if this would apply toward the Jungle King's name, ビンボ.

Pennywise

• I'm curious
    • View Profile
    • Yojimbo's Translations
« Reply #22 on: October 18, 2011, 12:20:01 am »
Boy has it been a while since I last worked on this game. This project stalled when I saved over my ROM with a clean ROM when I was experimenting with some stuff. Didn't really lose any of my hard work, only the tedious stuff. So here's the text for the beginning of stage 2. Consequently I don't know what the hell I'm supposed to do, so maybe a translation'll help.

BRPXQZME

• View Profile
    • The BRPXQZME Network
« Reply #23 on: October 18, 2011, 12:29:46 am »
“It’s quiet... maybe nobody lives here...?”
“[Oh!] Signs of life!”
“A monster who lives around here named Oolong does pervy things to ladies.”
“Oolong can’t stand being touched by men.”
“Goku, you look for Oolong.”
“Me?”
“If you get rid of him, we’ll give you this Ball.”
“Deal!!”

Pennywise

• I'm curious
    • View Profile
    • Yojimbo's Translations
« Reply #24 on: October 18, 2011, 01:19:42 am »
Thank you. And here's the end of the stage.

BRPXQZME

• View Profile
    • The BRPXQZME Network
« Reply #25 on: October 18, 2011, 02:02:02 am »
“This li’l guy is Oolong!?”
“I’m not even angry anymore.”
“I’m sorry.”
“Here’s your ball!”
“Wow! Thanks!!”

Pennywise

• I'm curious
    • View Profile
    • Yojimbo's Translations
« Reply #26 on: October 18, 2011, 04:10:47 pm »
Thanks again. Here's the beginning of the 3rd stage.

Paul Jensen

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 20, 2011, 08:09:26 pm »
"Where are you guys trying to get to?"
"Mt. Frying Pan."
"Woah! You're gonna cross the desert?"
"It's the only way to get there."
"What WAS that?!"
"Aaaaaaaa!!!"
"Wh- What's the matter?!"
"Th- The balls are GONE! We've gotta find 'em! We've gotta find those five dragon balls!!"

HTH
Sign THIS!

Pennywise

• I'm curious
    • View Profile
    • Yojimbo's Translations
« Reply #28 on: October 20, 2011, 10:38:02 pm »
Can't thank you enough.  Before I post my usual screenshots, I'm looking at the file and it looks like 60% or so of the script is finished and I believe that makes up for about half the game.  I think I'll continue on as normal and finish up the file, but maybe find a translator to finish up the other half. Unless no one minds me posting screenshots at a steady rate, but I'm starting to feel like I'm taking advantage of the script help forum a little too much for this particular game. Certainly has a bunch of text, enough to potentially make this topic several pages longer.

Looks like 2 small scenes

DarknessSavior

• Darkness.
    • View Profile
    • DS: No, not the Nintendo one.
« Reply #29 on: May 30, 2012, 01:23:20 pm »
Dunno if you still need help on these:

In order from top left to bottom right:

- I found it, I found it!
- It's over there!
- Now hurry and get it!
- What're you doing, blockhead?!!

Next set, same order:

- I can't get this door to open!
- The door has a keyhole.
- There should be a key to go with it.
- Time to look for that key!

~DS
Red Comet: :'( Poor DS. Nobody loves him like RC does. :'(
Sliver-X: LET ME INFRINGE UPON IT WITH MY MOUTH
DSRH - Currently working on: Demon's Blazon, Romancing SaGa, FFIV EasyType.
http://www.youtube.com/user/DarknessSavior

Garoth Moulinoski

• Disliking that smoke.
    • View Profile
    • My Stuff including Super Smash Karts.
« Reply #30 on: June 19, 2012, 08:30:07 am »
Let me butt in for a second as the resident "Guy-Who-Speaks/Writes/Reads-A-Bit-Of-Spanish"...

Buenos días in good Spanish ;P

Don’t look at me, though, I wouldn’t have the foggiest as to how to write dialogue for Master Roshi.

You can get away without using the accent, since there is no (to my knowledge) word like "dias". The correct spelling is how you said, but considering this is not only an NES game where space is most likely limited, but also going to be played by English speakers for the most part, you can get away without using the accent.

Just a suggestion, in case the correct í can't be brought in. (Not like anyone really says "HALLO" anyway...)
Who will quote me next?
Disclaimer: If it sounds wrong, I may have been posting while asleep.

Burger

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 19, 2012, 05:21:35 pm »
Ah, I see. Though, what is Kompei Tower? Is it a place which only appears in this game, as I don't recall ever hearing of such a place in the series. The only two towers that I know of in Dragon Ball are Korin Tower and Muscle Tower (one of Red Ribbon's strongholds in the northern region of the series).

This is old, but the thread got bumped anyway, so what the hey:
Konpei Tower has absolutely nothing to do with the Karin Tower from the actual series, but is a location made up for this game. At the time the game came out, neither Karin nor his tower had been introduced in the series yet.

Can't thank you enough.  Before I post my usual screenshots, I'm looking at the file and it looks like 60% or so of the script is finished and I believe that makes up for about half the game.  I think I'll continue on as normal and finish up the file, but maybe find a translator to finish up the other half. Unless no one minds me posting screenshots at a steady rate, but I'm starting to feel like I'm taking advantage of the script help forum a little too much for this particular game. Certainly has a bunch of text, enough to potentially make this topic several pages longer.

Again...  kinda old post, yeah, but if you're still in need of a translator, I'd be willing to sign on. I've played through this game many times, know the exact context of all the text, and know the Dragonball franchise inside-out.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2012, 05:33:01 pm by Burger »

Pennywise

• I'm curious
    • View Profile
    • Yojimbo's Translations
« Reply #32 on: June 19, 2012, 09:12:55 pm »
I am in need of an editor. I've got all the text up to the first meeting with Shenron translated. That's probably about half the text right there. However, the project is on the backburner while I work on other projects that are nearing release. I hope to get back to the game sometime this summer, but I am not looking forward to the experience as the game has been nothing but a huge pain in the ass.

Burger

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 20, 2012, 05:10:41 pm »
I am in need of an editor. I've got all the text up to the first meeting with Shenron translated. That's probably about half the text right there.

It's more than half. They ran out of plot to adapt (the franchise was still very young when this game came out), so most of the latter half of the game is just "let's go look for Dragonballs in random places" with very little actual plot, and several instances of reused text from earlier.

Pennywise

• I'm curious
    • View Profile
    • Yojimbo's Translations
« Reply #34 on: June 21, 2012, 07:16:57 pm »
Interesting, I guess that's the same reason why the sequel deviates drastically from the story. Wonder if Dragon Ball 3 does the same thing, but at least it looks like a complete redo of the first two games.

Burger

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 25, 2012, 12:05:11 pm »
Interesting, I guess that's the same reason why the sequel deviates drastically from the story. Wonder if Dragon Ball 3 does the same thing, but at least it looks like a complete redo of the first two games.

Dragonball 2 is an oddity, using the Piccolo arc as a backdrop for a mostly-original adventure where Goku travels around the world, visiting most of the important locations from the series, interacting with most of the important characters and fighting most of the older villains. Presumably they wanted a focused quest.

Dragonball 3 sort of debuts the formula that would later be used for the four Dragonball Z NES RPGs, where instead of one big world map with tons of locations you have a lot of smaller maps with a couple things to do on each, and you get sent to the next map once you've complete the objectives on the current one and forwarded the story. Unlike the later games, though, DB3's smaller maps are mostly just variations on each other, with new passages to new areas opening and old passages closing every time you move to a "new" map.
Plotwise it starts at the very beginning of the series, with the meeting between Goku and Bulma, and continues all the way to the final battle between Goku and the reborn Piccolo.