logo
 drop

Main

Community

Submissions

Help

81549929 visitors

Author Topic: Rent A Hero (SEGA MD/Gen) English Translation  (Read 31985 times)

Paul Jensen

• View Profile
Rent A Hero (SEGA MD/Gen) English Translation
« on: December 20, 2010, 08:23:41 am »
I dumped the script to Rent A Hero a while back, and since AFAIK nobody is working on it, I've started translating it myself. I don't have a lot of time to work on it, so I don't know how quickly I'll be able to get it done, but I think I can spend at least a little time on it each day.

Even if I can get the script done, though, I'd still need to have somebody actually hack the ROM.  I don't know as much about ROM hacking as I'd like to. I know a lot of basic stuff, but not advanced stuff like writing VWF and (de)compression routines in assembly, so I don't think I'll be able to do the kind of hacking that would be required for this game -- not without taking a lot more time learning how to do it myself.

Two things that need to be done, for example, are to replace the (likely compressed) font, and to really figure out the pointer system, which, if I'm properly understanding the docs I have, is a little screwy.

Anybody who's interested can check out the Rent A Hero tool on the Abandoned Projects page at RHDN. A lot of the work already seems to be done, so some of you better hackers out there could probably figure out the rest pretty quickly, I'd imagine.

UPDATE (2011/10/11):

First draft of the script is 100% translated!

UPDATE (2011/1/29):

Translation is still progressing steadily. I've probably got about 20-25% of the text translated now.

I discovered some more graphics that need to be translated/altered. The game has a city map that comes up whenever take a train ride to a different part of the city where the game takes place. The map displays the names of the cities that you travel between. The names have their own special tiles that are separate from the main font, so those tiles have to be edited. They're compressed with Nemesis compression, but I was able to find the tiles (and all the other graphics in the game) in the ROM using the Nemesis searching tool. Anyway, it shouldn't be too hard to replace the graphics.

I made some changes to the font. I had replaced it with the font from Sword of Vermillion, but I changed it back because I want to use as many of the original game assets as possible. The game already has a set of upper-case Roman letters, so I decided to use those (mostly), as-is, and then add my own set of lower-case letters. The font uses two colors to achieve a sort of anti-aliased look (this is present in the original font).

I had some room left in the font tileset, so I added in graphics for the menu text. I had to squeeze the text to fit it into the menus, so the text looks different from the other text around it, so it's not an ideal solution, but it's not too bad, either.

I'll get some screenshots of this stuff up at some point.

The only major challenge I see now is altering the item get/use/drop routine to display words in the correct order.

UPDATE (2011/1/8):

Translation is going smoothly.

Discovered some new things that need to be modified, like the text that gets displayed when an item is used. For example, in Japanese you'd have:

1) Paulは フロッピィディスクを つかった。

The three main elements in the sentence (Paul, フロッピィディスク, and つかった) are variables. The code is set up to display things using Japanese word order, so even if the strings are in English, the result is:

2) Paul Floppy Disk used.

I guess now I've got to locate the routine for this in the ROM and figure out how to alter the order in which it displays strings.

UPDATE (2011/1/3):

Yesterday I inserted a complete English font into the ROM (thanks, golden). I ripped it from Sword of Vermillion, which seemed fitting considering the games use almost  identical (?) engines, and because AFAIK a lot of the same people worked on both games.

I also managed to replace the Name Entry screen to fit with the new font -- without doing any assembly at all. I was surprised at how easy it was. Kudos to the original programmers for making such a flexible system.

I've discovered some quirks while working on the script. The person who made the dumping/insertion tool (Guest/Anonymous) set things up so that instead of replacing the hard-coded string pointers in the ROM, the first bit of each line of the original string is replaced with a jump code, and then a pointer to the new string, which is in expanded ROM space. This technique works fine for most strings used in the game, but doesn't seem to work for strings used in system text. In these latter cases, the redirect code can't be used; the original pointer has to be overwritten. Fortunately, Mega Drive pointers are very easy to find, so it hasn't been an issue so far.

The only hacking that needs to be done at this point is to edit the menu rendering code to allow for more characters. I don't want to have to use abbreviations for menu commands like SRCH and CHNG if I can avoid it.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2011, 02:13:01 am by Paul Jensen »
Deborah Morgan: "What the f*ck, Dex?!"
Dexter Morgan: "What which f*ck?"
-- from Dexter

Pennywise

• I'm curious
    • View Profile
    • Yojimbo's Translations
Re: Rent A Hero (SEGA MD/Gen) English Translation
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2010, 03:11:01 pm »
Hey this is a cool project. Glad someone's trying to translate it.

Djinn actually did the font work mentioned and whatever else. Saito showed off his work in the screenshots thread a few years ago, but the project seems to have died. Worth finding out what happened to the project. If one thing's sure, I bet the script was never completely translated.

Paul Jensen

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2010, 11:14:14 pm »
I spent a little time today reading about how Mega Drive/Genesis games store pointers. It looks like most (?) games store their pointers as big-endian 32-bit values, so they're actually really easy to find.

I expanded the Rent A Hero ROM a bit and tried remapping some pointers to the new space. Worked without a hitch. This seems to be the easiest way to go. The only challenge now is figuring out how to change the font, and, you know, actually translate the script.
-- from Dexter

golden

• View Profile
    • Mare Incognitum
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2010, 12:31:42 am »
Great, RAH is finally going to be translated! During my Genesis infatuation days, I took a look at the game and found a bit of information that might be useful to you Paul. For instance, the game uses the famous Nemesis compression for (all?) the graphics, font included, which can be decompressed with TSDC. If you use the Nemesis decompressor at 0x00CAD90:

You'll find the font :)

And when you're done modifying it, you can also use the compressor.

Cryomancer

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2010, 08:05:31 am »
Glad to see this being worked on!
weird video game comic translations:
http://opentrain.theyear199x.org/

Surging Aura

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2011, 07:05:39 pm »
How can I help out?

Paul Jensen

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2011, 11:20:39 pm »
@golden: Thanks a million! I thought it might be Nemesis. How did you find out where the font is?

@Surging Aura: The only thing I can think of is maybe finding a way to widen the menus and dialog boxes to fit more text. Also, the name entry screen might need to be hacked.
-- from Dexter

golden

• View Profile
    • Mare Incognitum
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2011, 09:45:23 am »
@golden: Thanks a million! I thought it might be Nemesis. How did you find out where the font is?

It was a long time ago but I'm almost certain I had some kind of program that searched for data sequences compressed with Nemesis. I can't seem to find that program anymore, though.

EDIT: Nevermind, found it :)

« Last Edit: January 02, 2011, 11:36:08 am by golden »

Paul Jensen

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2011, 12:02:51 am »
It was a long time ago but I'm almost certain I had some kind of program that searched for data sequences compressed with Nemesis. I can't seem to find that program anymore, though.

Nice. That seems like a really useful tool. I wonder why none of the ROM hacking sites seem to have anything like that. I found it available for download at SonicRetro.org.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2011, 11:45:10 pm by Paul Jensen »
-- from Dexter

Surging Aura

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2011, 05:22:00 pm »
@Surging Aura: The only thing I can think of is maybe finding a way to widen the menus and dialog boxes to fit more text. Also, the name entry screen might need to be hacked.

That's out of my skills. Sorry for wasting your time. Maybe I can help with testing when the time comes. I'm really interested in the game and just bought a copy.

Paul Jensen

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2011, 11:47:55 pm »

That's out of my skills. Sorry for wasting your time. Maybe I can help with testing when the time comes. I'm really interested in the game and just bought a copy.

No time wasted. Don't worry about it.

I almost bought a copy of the game myself a couple of years ago. I wish I could remember where I saw it. :(
-- from Dexter

Ryusui

• IT'S LIKE I CAN TOUCH YOU!!!
    • View Profile
    • Homepage and DevBlog
« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2011, 12:02:41 am »
Shouldn't be too hard. I've done it with both Sylvanian Families and Breath of Fire 2; in both cases, the box-drawing routine call was accompanied by the coordinates and dimensions. If you can find the routine and trace back from it, you should be able to tweak the values.
Chiriyuku polaroid, atsumete paranoia...tsugi wa dare no ban da oshiete hoshii...

Fukanzen na jittai ni yorisoi nemureba...understand mieru darou!

Szczepaniak

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2011, 09:51:22 am »
Bloody fantastic to see this getting worked on.

I've been playing through the leaked Xbox translation (the one that was completed by AIA but never published), and I decided to go look and see if anyone had finished this - I've got an ancient partial translation that covers the game's opening. By Eidelon, wasn't it? I also put a few hours into the untranslated version, and loved the fact you could start a bank account and stuff like that - the mix of overhead RPG and side-on combat is cool too. I also owned the DC version at one point, but it used a strange TV output setting which wouldn't work on a PAL unit. Really cool, weird series though.

Anyway, hugely excited for this. There's a lot of fantasy style RPGs in English across the 16-bit systems, but futuristic and present-day ones are fairly rare (Shadowrun, Phantasy Star, etc). So, as I said, great news and keep up with the excellent work.

I can't offer any help with the patch itself, but I'll probably cover the series on HG101 once complete (if I've the time). Kudos to you, good sir!

skroops

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 15, 2011, 01:09:28 pm »
Hope this guy is ok

bdaiker

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 15, 2011, 08:14:05 pm »
He's in Hiroshima, I'm sure he's fine.

Azkadellia

• Forum Moderator
  • 提交向你的情妇!
    • View Profile
    • Princess Translations
Current Projects:
  • Nurvus: 10%
  • Princess Maker 2 Refine: 45%
  • ScriptTool: 25%
  • EditTool: 90%
I do the Twitter thing now: https://twitter.com/MistressSaeko (expect lots of game streaming announcements)

Paul Jensen

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 16, 2011, 10:01:31 pm »
Thanks for the concern, everybody. As was pointed out, I live in Hiroshima, which is far away from the things that have happened (and continue to happen) over the past week, so my wife and I are fine.

A thought: It feels almost ironic from a historical perspective to say, "I'm in Hiroshima, so I'm safe."

As for the project itself, it's on hold right now while my wife and I make a trip to the west coast of North America and I settle into a new job after we get back to Japan. I figure I've got it about 50% translated at this point. Once I get back into it, it shouldn't take too long to finish, I hope.
-- from Dexter

Paul Jensen

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 23, 2011, 10:06:24 am »
I don't know if this is censidered necrobumping or not, but...

I'm back at work on the translation after a bit of a break. Or rather I should say I was too busy handling business taking place IRL to put in any time on it.

Still hoping for someone to figure out how a way to expand the size of the dialogue boxes and/or code a VWF. An experienced ROM hacker has offered to look into it (I won't say who since I'm not sure if they want to be mentioned by name), so things are looking good on that front.
-- from Dexter

DarknessSavior

• Darkness.
    • View Profile
    • DS: No, not the Nintendo one.
« Reply #18 on: May 23, 2011, 01:02:12 pm »
I don't know if this is censidered necrobumping or not, but...

I'm back at work on the translation after a bit of a break. Or rather I should say I was too busy handling business taking place IRL to put in any time on it.

Still hoping for someone to figure out how a way to expand the size of the dialogue boxes and/or code a VWF. An experienced ROM hacker has offered to look into it (I won't say who since I'm not sure if they want to be mentioned by name), so things are looking good on that front.
I know who it iiiis. :D

~DS
Red Comet: :'( Poor DS. Nobody loves him like RC does. :'(
Sliver-X: LET ME INFRINGE UPON IT WITH MY MOUTH
DSRH - Currently working on: Demon's Blazon, Romancing SaGa, FFIV EasyType.
http://www.youtube.com/user/DarknessSavior

peperocket

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 23, 2011, 03:14:14 pm »
Great news !!!!