logo
 drop

Main

Community

Submissions

Help

84336917 visitors

Author Topic: SNEER (Symphony of the Night Editor and Entity Recompiler) by Nyxojaele  (Read 23279 times)

BlackTelomeres

• View Profile
Re: SNEER (Symphony of the Night Editor and Entity Recompiler) by Nyxojaele
« Reply #20 on: October 28, 2010, 11:19:19 pm »
I dunno, its spiritual progenitor, Super Metroid, supports at least 2 IRC channels that I know of and a couple of message boards dedicated to hacking it, so I could see SotN having some potential for a decent sized hacking community once the editor is out. About the only major obstacle is the size of the game, but people can gradually get used to that.

Anyway, good luck on getting up to speed at your new workplace.

Nyxojaele

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 16, 2010, 11:21:18 pm »
Alright, so I've managed to get myself mostly accustomed to my new job.  I still say that a lot of my free time is still going to be dedicated towards learning everything for my new job, but now I can safely say that I have some free time to continue work on SNEER.

That in mind, I'm somewhat interested in coming into contact with other people who are capable/willing to help with hacking SotN and understanding more.  As time allows, I'd like very much to be able to document everything I know about the file formats, so as to help anybody else interested in writing tools for this game, as well.  Anybody who is honestly interested and capable of helping, please do contact me about it!

On the SNEER front tho, I'm sitting down in front of it again tonite and have decided that I need to rewrite portions of it to make it more manageable.  So while I will be working on SNEER in immediate future, I don't suspect, to the majority of people, that it will appear that I am making much progress.  I'm confident, tho, that the parts I'm rewriting will not only improve performance, but also increase the ability for SNEER to expand with more features.

Nyxojaele

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 27, 2010, 03:57:14 am »
So my free time in the last little while has been split between working on rewriting SNEER, and writing up some technical documentation on the SotN file formats.

I've just made my first release of the document now, available at http://www.romhacking.net/docs/528/
It contains most of everything I know that has been implemented already into SNEER, and touches briefly on a couple other things that I haven't 100% figured out yet, and obivously are NOT implemnted into SNEER yet.

I hope this document can serve as a starting point for many other rom hackers out there to get their feet wet with this game, as I'd love to see more people out there poking around in it and finding more useful stuff! ^-^v

Gemini

• 時を越えよう、そして彼女の元に戻ろう
    • View Profile
    • Devil Hackers' Nest
« Reply #23 on: December 27, 2010, 07:56:03 am »
Very nice doc. Thumbs up! :thumbsup:
I am the lord, you all know my name, now. I got it all: cash, money, and fame.

Asylum

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 05, 2011, 04:16:35 pm »
This is all very interesting.

When can we see a release?

Nyxojaele

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 05, 2011, 10:14:55 pm »
Honestly, I don't know- but I can guarantee it won't be anytime immediate, unfortunately;;

The current roadmap before initial release of SNEER, in a general sense, is as follows:
  • Finish restructuring/rewriting of SNEER
  • Connect entity graphics to placed entities
  • Provide means to edit tile placement
  • Provide means to edit entity placement and basic values

This is a basic list of what NEEDS to be done before a release is made.  I'm still undecided about whether I want to have full editability (eg. replacing entity graphics with physically larger graphics, replacing rooms with larger ones) in the initial release since it will likely involve considerably more work on my part before I can properly do so.

The restructuring/rewriting of SNEER is going well, and I'm very happy with the results so far-- once this is all done, SNEER will be capable of things I could only have dreamed of with the old code, and I can't wait to start building on this new framework once I have it all in place!

HellAngel

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 09, 2011, 02:39:42 pm »
Do you think it will be released this year?

BlackTelomeres

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 26, 2011, 05:55:26 pm »
IMHO, the ability to replace entity graphics with physically larger graphics, and the ability to replace rooms with larger ones (ones that take up more space in the game rather than just dimensionally larger ones I assume) are significantly advanced enough that I wouldn't say they'd have to be in the initial release - although they're definitely important to have eventually in order for people to have a lot more freedom in building the kind of game they want. It'll probably take a little while after the initial release of the editor for people to get the hang of the basic functions too. But who knows, I'd be happy with it either way.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2011, 12:42:28 am by BlackTelomeres »

Nyxojaele

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 06, 2012, 12:10:51 am »
So it's been a very long time since I last posted about this project, and for that, I apologize.
I've recently come back to this project in a part-time manner, and am trying to finish the conversion of the codebase that I was working on at the time that I got pulled away from this project.
What I'm hoping to achieve, is to get this thing back into "viewer" status, probably with limited functionality even as a viewer, so I can make an initial release.
I know that my free time is going to become very limited in the near future, so I'm hoping to get this done before that happens, so there's at least SOME sort of release.
Following that, I'd like to get all the rest of the "viewer" functionality back into it for a second release, when I have time again.

That all said, I'm hoping for this first release in the next 1-3 weeks, as time permits- I've already got the majority of it back up and running again, and just have to iron out a few bugs before I'll feel comfortable making a release.

Snatcher

• Vereor Nox
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 06, 2012, 07:37:43 am »
After reading your posts, I have to say, very impressive work you're doing. Castlevania has always been the one series I wanted to do a complete ROM hack for. Hopefully I'll be able to use your editor in the future.  :thumbsup:
"This is a work of fiction. If you find any relation to real people, events, or locations, then you are obviously on crack."
-Kishimoto Masashi

gadesx

• View Profile
« Reply #30 on: February 09, 2012, 07:58:23 pm »
Well, the main feature of a editor for see it like finished is...
It must have undo button!! lol

So this will be released when undo button stay fully working.  8)

BlackTelomeres

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 13, 2012, 09:41:06 am »
Keep up the good work, Nyxojaele. This editor may be one of the last hopes (along with ground up fan games) for the capability to see new CV-based Metroidvania-style level design in the future if LoS' success has persuaded Konami that they no longer need to make any more Metroidvania-style CVs.

As for an undo button, I was able to subsist in SMILE for the longest time without one, so I'm sure at least I can manage without one ;) That said, if the first release is going to be a strict viewer, an undo button won't be needed for obvious reasons.

Nyxojaele

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 16, 2012, 12:01:12 am »
Okay folks, pre-alpha release time!

Also, just to be clear, I'm only working on this project in a -very- part-time capacity right now, as my time is largely being tied up elsewhere.
What that means to you is that it may take some time in between releases and bug fixes, but I assure you that I will be keeping track of them!

Currently this only exists as a viewer. The next release will see the viewer capabilities expanded upon.
Readme:

Symphony of the Night Editor and Entity Recompiler

SNEER

By Nyxojaele

Installation Instructions:
Just run Setup.exe, it should take care of all the prerequisites for you.
If you have troubles with prerequisites, they are as follows:
 * Microsoft .NET Framework 4 Client Profile
 * Microsoft XNA Framework Redistributable 4.0
Prerequisites for the installer are as follows:
 * Windows Installer 3.1

Features:
 * View all tile maps for Castlevania: Symphony of the Night.
  -Normal maps locations: <ISO>/ST/<MAPID>
   -*****DON'T TRY TO OPEN <ISO>/ST/SEL! IT'S NOT A MAP! IT'S THE SAVED GAME SELECTION SCREEN!*****
  -Boss maps locations: <ISO>/BOSS
 * View locations of entities

How to use:
 * The first thing you will need to do is select the locations of your DRA.BIN and F_GAME.BIN files.
  -DRA.BIN can be found in <ISO>/DRA.BIN
  -F_GAME.BIN can be found in <ISO>/BIN/F_GAME.BIN
  -If you can't find these files, it's okay, but you either won't be able to see load/save rooms,
   or they may look corrupted. The rest of the map will still display correctly.
 * Select File | Open and select either of the .BIN files found in the map directory
   (eg. CHI.BIN or F_CHI.BIN) - It doesn't matter which, SNEER is smart enough to figure it out.
 * The first thing you will see is the top left corner of the map, if it were a rectangle.
  -*****YOU MIGHT NOT SEE ANYTHING IMMEDIATELY IF THE MAP DOESN'T HAVE A ROOM IN THE TOP LEFT CORNER!*****
 * Using the mouse, right-click + Drag to pan the map around.
 * Use the mouse wheel to zoom in/out.

Known Issues:
 * Some rooms appear to be cut off [partially]. This can be seen at the top right corner of DAI,
   and near the left side of NZ1. The rooms are still there, but the neighboring rooms are drawing
   on top of them.
 * There are some graphical glitches on my development machine, causing bright green colors to appear
   where they shouldn't. I'm pretty sure this is my video card screwing up, as I've testing it on my
   other machine and it looks fine, but I thought I'd put it out there.

Change Log:

v0.1 2012-02-15
 * First Release!

* The best way to contact me, report bugs, or generally be a nuisance, is via www.romhacking.net.
  * The forum thread for this project at the time of this writing:
    http://www.romhacking.net/forum/index.php/topic,11315.30.html

Download here!

saucjedi

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 16, 2012, 07:36:59 am »
Thank you very much for this. Even as a viewer, I was looking forward to this release.

BlackTelomeres

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 20, 2012, 12:00:39 am »
I just get "error loading map zone" for any .bin in the /ST/ or /BOSS/ directories I try to open.

Nyxojaele

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 20, 2012, 12:37:34 pm »
Hmm, that's unfortunate- I'll have to see what I can do about that.

Oh, I guess I should specify which version of SotN I use, cause that -might- (likely not, but you never know...) matter.
The current ISO that I use is (US) SLUS-00067. If you're using a different version, I make no guarantees about whether it will work. This may be addressed in a later release.

Also, I'm going to put more logging information in so it'll be easier for me to fix these problems.

BlackTelomeres

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 20, 2012, 01:39:40 pm »
Alright, I think I found out what the issue was. 00067 is the version I'm using, but the editor perhaps doesn't like that my "iso" is actually a .bin file rather than a .iso and won't let me navigate it unless I mount it with daemon tools (thus probably messing with the way the editor wants to work; I thought perhaps since it was just viewing the files it wouldn't care if they were essentially read-only). I had to go in, grab all the files in one of the stage directories (the CHI files in this case as a test) and copy them out of the game file and into the file system. Opening them with the editor then allowed me to view the maps. Of course that probably won't do for future editing purposes so I guess I'll have to get a bin to iso converter or something unless .bin support is added later. But either way that should solve the issue.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2012, 01:52:19 pm by BlackTelomeres »

Nyxojaele

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 20, 2012, 02:48:52 pm »
Ah yes, that would likely be a problem.
Since SNEER is intended to be an editor in the future, we're going to require write access to the map files, so I consider it acceptable to force the user to have extracted the map files from the ISO, and not be trying to use them from inside a CD image.
I should make note of that in the readme.

Thanks for posting back about what it was- that makes life easier for me^^

BlackTelomeres

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 20, 2012, 05:47:30 pm »
Ah, okay, so that was actually the intended way to go about it. I kind of just muddled through to get to that result -- I originally figured since there was nothing in the readme about extracting the map files that it was intended to just open them from the iso.

Having the edited maps separate from the rest of the game until they need to be re-added for testing will probably be an easier situation for people making a lot of backups as they edit maps anyway since the individual maps are rather small in size and thus easier to back up.

knighTeen87

• No More Room In Hell
    • View Profile
    • My personal site with Rom Hacks&Translations,Neo Geo Soundtracks,PSX Isos,CT 2007 Hack and more...t
« Reply #39 on: February 20, 2012, 09:11:48 pm »
can you add a full text and dialogue editor to your SotN editor please? So lots of people can make translations to their own languages  :) and i hope it won't be that hard cuz there are not so many texts and dialogues in the game.