logo
 drop

Main

Community

Submissions

Help

86549509 visitors

Author Topic: (Genesis) Find the compressed data and figure out the compression scheme  (Read 6336 times)

GameX

• View Profile
I mean the BIN has something wrong inside, the graphics are all stranges.  I guess I unsuccefully hacked it so I've put everything upside down in the graphics.

I'm too lazy to find another BIN now. :P
I started with the SMD and I'll finish it with the SMD.

tummai

• View Profile
    • Tummai Games
OK, so I changed the:

0000 000C 0CEE 04AE 006E 002C 0EE0 0EE0
0000 0222 0444 0666 00AA 00CC 0000 00EE

In this:

0000 000C 0CEE 04AE 006E 002C 0EE0 0EE0
0000 0222 0444 0666 0000 0000 0000 0000

Now I need to "import" it in the ROM with a certain way?

After you do your hex search and find it in the game ROM, just manually write the new values over the old values and save (backup your file first).

Turning the colors to 0000 will make the hair solid black with no shading/highlighting.  It might be better to change them to dark shades of gray.

GameX

• View Profile
I type "00AA 00CC 0000 00EE" or even "00AA 00CC 0000", in my ROM, and I get "String not found".

Turning the colors to 0000 will make the hair solid black with no shading/highlighting.  It might be better to change them to dark shades of gray.

Yes, I thought about that, but after have checked the Vegeta hair (Vegeta appear on the screen with black hair, and transform in Super Saiyan at the beggining of the battle), and they have no shades, it's just regular black.  I'll try first with a pure black, and if it's ugly, I'll put shades.

tummai

• View Profile
    • Tummai Games
I type "00AA 00CC 0000 00EE" or even "00AA 00CC 0000", in my ROM, and I get "String not found".

Yes, I thought about that, but after have checked the Vegeta hair (Vegeta appear on the screen with black hair, and transform in Super Saiyan at the beggining of the battle), and they have no shades, it's just regular black.  I'll try first with a pure black, and if it's ugly, I'll put shades.

OK, question.  When you open the ROM in your hex editor, do you see the words "SEGA GENESIS" or "SEGA MEGA DRIVE" at the 00000100 offset?

GameX

• View Profile
Ah, no, sorry. :-[

I started over with a BIN who has the "SEGA GENESIS" part in a Hex Editor.
I don't have the same colors that are shown on your picture however, finding the hair color, it's confusing here...

http://img534.imageshack.us/img534/5721/romscreen7.jpg

There is no more the 3 yellow colors in a row.
I can see Goku palette but the 3 colors hair...

In the Hex Editor:

http://img691.imageshack.us/content_round.php?page=done&l=img691/2535/romscreen8.jpg&via=mupload

I haven't reverted the bytes yet.

tummai

• View Profile
    • Tummai Games
Reverse the values and find the palette in the ROM like before.   You can use trial and error to figure out which colors make up the hair.  If I were to guess I'd say that the hair is probably the 4th color from the left, plus the two yellows on the right side of the palette. 

GameX

• View Profile
Well, I found matching data, but they seems to not be part of the palette.  Anyways, hard to explain.  I replaced a few values, but it still doesn't work.

I start to get tired of this, I have others things to do than ROM Hacking.

Rancher

• View Profile
I am interested in translating this game, but I cannot seem to find any text. It is compressed like a graphic, I guess. Can anyone guide me on how to do it? I have never deal with compressed text before.