logo
 drop

Main

Community

Submissions

Help

86227974 visitors

Author Topic: ROM Hack: Metroid Redesign is released!  (Read 12896 times)

RHDNBot

ROM Hack: Metroid Redesign is released!
« on: May 07, 2006, 04:11:02 pm »
This is an automated message generated by Romhacking.net's RHDNBot.

Update By: Jigglysaint

(The following news was submitted by Jigglysaint with authorization from Drewseph, the author of this hack)

After 2 full years in the making, and several Restarts on the project, it has finally been completed.  Click one of the download options, READ the READ ME, and apply the patch.

This ia Version 1.0 of the hack.... so...
Please PM me ANY discovered bugs (places where you get stuck perminently, crahses, garble)

(Added by Jigglysaint) Everything has been changed.  Zebes is now much larger than before, and not a single room is recognizable.  On top of that, there are other changes as well the author wants you to experence.  It's a tough game, but not impossible.

thank you all for playing!

Grab the patch for a headered rom here

Grab the patch for an unheadered rom here

***NOTE***  this patch is for [JU] versions of the rom only, also ZSNES1.4x DOES NOT work with my hack because of errors in the program.... all future versions of ZSNES will work.

Addition by Dragonsbrethren: You can also get both patches in a single zipfile in our database:
http://www.romhacking.net/hacks/131/

Relevant Link: (http://drewseph.zophar.net)

Jigglysaint

• Corruptomancer
    • View Profile
    • Stuff Jigglysaint has done(like discover the Crocomire in MZM)
Re: ROM Hack: Metroid Redesign is released!
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2006, 04:25:40 pm »
I guess this works.  Thanks Dragonsbrethern!

Kurasu

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2006, 04:29:06 pm »
Could someone PM him about my problem with the 'ZSNES graphics'? Since it seems to be happening on the versions that he said the system would work with, and was never really specific on what the 'doesn't work' on ZSNES is (meaning: I don't know if it crashes, or if this graphics glitch is what he's referring to).

The link to the picture is: http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a233/itsukitachibana/S_SuperMetroidRedesignHack0000.jpg

I don't want to have to register on a board that I'll never post on aside from one PM. :P

Nightcrawler

• View Profile
    • Nightcrawler's Translation Corporation
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2006, 05:26:47 pm »
Does anybody have any screenshots (as well as a title screen screenshot) for this hack? Our entry for it sucks without images.
TransCorp - Over 15 years of community dedication.
Dual Orb 2, Wozz, Emerald Dragon, Tenshi No Uta, Herakles IV SFC/SNES Translations

Jigglysaint

• Corruptomancer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2006, 05:38:16 pm »
I think DB said he might later on or somthing.  Also, do you know why Drewseph can't register here?  Drew's the author of the hack, and he told me he doesn't have access for some reason.

Kurasu

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2006, 05:42:30 pm »
Does anybody have any screenshots (as well as a title screen screenshot) for this hack? Our entry for it sucks without images.

Title screen's not been changed on this one. It's a basic Super Metroid title screen. So at least that's not too hard. ;)

Dragonsbrethren

• View Profile
    • Dragonsbrethren Industries
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2006, 05:46:34 pm »
Yeah, I'll stick a titlescreen shot up now, I asked Lenophis to get me some in-game screenshots, I don't feel like starting a new game on an emulator just to get them.

Edit: Leno sent me the screenshots:
http://www.romhacking.net/hacks/131/
« Last Edit: May 07, 2006, 11:45:56 pm by Dragonsbrethren »

Kiyoshi Aman

• Browncoat Captain
    • View Profile
    • Aerdan's Blog
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2006, 08:53:17 am »
I'd like to note that the physics change is a pain in the arse on Ceres. I actually *died* trying to get out, in fact, which is a first.

Special T

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2006, 10:33:38 pm »
1 word "This hack ROCKS!!!!!!"

OK maybe more than one word but, damn i think this man/group did a hell of a job! Way to go, and if you do another project please let this community know!

Lenophis

• IRC Staff
  • The return of the sombrero!
    • View Profile
    • Slick Productions
« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2006, 10:36:34 pm »
I'm going to go ahead and declare this a challenge hack. Not because of the wall jumping needed to get to the bombs (there is a wall past Samus' ship that Drew says you can wall jump up, but I haven't yet. A few of the beta testers actually said you are better off crouch-jumping up that, as that's what I did. Drew insists you don't need crouch-jump to do that, but I beg to differ.)

Not because of "the race" when you first arrive in Norfair. (You need 3 energy tanks, beyond that I'll say no more).

But because of this:

You need to bomb jump up and over all of that (and keep in mind, this is a "morph maze" and you aren't unable to unmorph at all). Good: there's a save point literally right before this. Bad: If you don't complete this, you are stuck, no "if's," "and's," or "but's" about it.

https://ff6randomizer.codeplex.com/ - Randomize your FF6 experience!

Great Red Spirit

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2006, 12:18:30 am »
Great, I'll pass on this hack. I can't bomb jump worth shit. :(
Thanks Lenophis, I would've hated to get to that point only to be screwed over because of that.

Jigglysaint

• Corruptomancer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2006, 12:54:53 am »
It's not that hard.  Once you master it, you can do it quite easily.  Of course I did use save staes, but that's how I do everything nowadays.

Still, this is a challenge hack, but since I was tester, Drew gave me most of the answers, plus I had a cheat map too.

It's fustrating, but isn't there a sense of satisfaction that comes when the answer finally comes to you?

Lenophis

• IRC Staff
    • View Profile
    • Slick Productions
« Reply #12 on: May 09, 2006, 01:11:03 am »
It's not that hard.  Once you master it, you can do it quite easily.  Of course I did use save staes, but that's how I do everything nowadays.
Play it on the real thing, then tell me it's easy.

Still, this is a challenge hack, but since I was tester, Drew gave me most of the answers, plus I had a cheat map too.
I should thank Drew for not mentioning this anywhere, including his readme.

It's fustrating, but isn't there a sense of satisfaction that comes when the answer finally comes to you?
Not if there wasn't any fun in getting to that point.

Lenophis

• IRC Staff
    • View Profile
    • Slick Productions
« Reply #13 on: May 09, 2006, 04:08:11 am »
Ok, Drew has apparently updated the patch today, yet didn't really say anything about it except to those on IRC. The links on his page are the same, even though the page itself doesn't say anything about it. The readme has changed, although it doesn't say it's a new version either. :-\

Oh, the joys of updates. ::)

creaothceann

• SPINESHARK
    • View Profile
    • creaothceann's website
« Reply #14 on: May 09, 2006, 05:58:17 am »
After a bit of playing, I'll also pass on that one...

Have to agree with JXQ. The author should've made it more enjoyable for the casual gamer. So many games don't follow Gilbert’s Rules of Thumb...

D

« Reply #15 on: May 09, 2006, 11:32:41 am »
I think it's really cool to see the whole game redesigned but, um, fuck if I'm going to finish this. Metroid is fun and all, but I always found it the hardest platform game control-wise. The ridiculous dependency on wall jumps in this hack is really just too much. In the original game, there was only one corridor in the entire game where wall jump was required, and you could always just go up it later once you got the Space Jump ability.

Edit: I know no one is expecting me to finish this. Hell, I almost never play game hacks. I'm sure the people who are into challange hacks or who are diehard Metroid fans will absolutely love it, and that's probably the crowd this hack is intended for.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2006, 11:52:43 am by D »

Tintenfisch

• Insect swarm 3, nothing but the best.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 09, 2006, 01:06:43 pm »
there was only one corridor in the entire game where wall jump was required,

Yeah and it had those little guys showing you how to do it too.

Metroid was annoying enough I don't think we need a re-design to make it as annoying or even more tedious.
A traitor like you doesn't deserve a Texas double whopper, now available at burger king

Great Red Spirit

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 09, 2006, 01:20:18 pm »

Can do everything with enough practice. I'd rather not have to practice just to get past one part because I need to bomb jump in lava. (I see it now... bomb jumping in acid!)
And personally, I don't use save states except in games that have no save feature (and usually at periods of where passwords show up or where I could make the password appear by running somewhere) with occasional exceptions. I personally prefer playing my SNES ROMs like I was using a real SNES. Got a gamepad for it and my computer is hooked up to the same TV and stereo my SNES is hooked up to for that.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2006, 01:22:43 pm by Great Red Spirit »

Jigglysaint

• Corruptomancer
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 09, 2006, 02:42:47 pm »
After reading those rules, I have to agree that on a professional basis, this game does not live up to the quality of Metroid.  However, I believe the basis of this game was to have a quest that required a person to concentrate, master new moves, and to showcase new innovations.  The game could have benefitted greatly from on screen instructions, not enough to hold your hand, but enough to allow the players to grasp concepts quicker.  However, I think there are a few problems that rom hack players have come to expect from challenge hacks.  One of them is a constant fear that they will permently pass by an item and it won't be obtainable.  Metroid Limit did this, and it totally sucked.  Players should not have to live in constant fear that going through a door or triggering an event will mysteriously cut off half the game from ever being played again.  I am not a big fan of having rooms cut off, even if there is nothing behind it, but one or 2 are easily forgivable.

Another thing that worries people is being stuck, especially due to glitches.  To be put honestly:  Players automatically distrust the designs of the hacker, and always jump to the conclusion that they did somthing wrong and are then forced to reset.  A good game won't make too many one way passages.  In this game you are constantly going down holes only to reach a dead end.  One way passages should be more limited.

Exin

« Reply #19 on: May 09, 2006, 03:22:57 pm »
there was only one corridor in the entire game where wall jump was required,
Yeah and it had those little guys showing you how to do it too.

The first time I ever found that place I didn't have the space jump and didn't realize those little guys were trying to tell me something. I somehow managed to get out of that place using bomb jumping and yet I still somehow manage to suck at it. I'm so bad at it that I'm not going to bother with this hack simply because of the mention of the bomb jumping lava.