logo
 drop

Main

Community

Submissions

Help

78435672 visitors

Author Topic: Translations: Madou Monogatari (GG) Incomplete English Patch Released  (Read 4898 times)

RHDNBot

Update By: filler

Stephen Seehorn and I have released an incomplete English translation patch for Madou Monogatari for the Sega Game Gear! It is incomplete because we have not fully tested it. The full script has been inserted and should be fully playable but we make no guarantees. There are text bleed issues. The script has not been checked. The ending text is gonna be screwed up because we have no way of knowing where the text speed pointer is without actually seeing it display and tracing it backwards which requires beating it. Otherwise it's pretty awesome. NOTE: Patch is in Ninja format. Enjoy!

RHDN Project Page

Relevant Link: (http://projects.mattsmessyroom.com/madoumonogatari/)

Hernan

• Batankyu
    • View Profile
    • Puyo Nexus
Re: Translations: Madou Monogatari (GG) Incomplete English Patch Released
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2010, 10:42:48 am »
Aw yeah! Awesome!
Can't try it just yet, since I have an exam tomorrow. >_< Anyway, I'm excited! I'd love to play more Madou Monogatari in English!
Translated Puyo Puyo games here!

stranno

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2010, 05:57:10 pm »
I have made a little video, but i cannot show you much coz skeleton 1 fucks me, the FIRST boss o_O

LINK

I've read the GF guide but it beats me, on level 4, in two moves

Anyway is a bit difficult to advance bcoz there are some bugs (text mainly) that doesnt allow you to show the magic meter or life meter

Waiting for final patch, really good work  :thumbsup:

Gideon Zhi

• IRC Staff
    • View Profile
    • Aeon Genesis
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2010, 06:07:37 pm »
Anyway is a bit difficult to advance bcoz there are some bugs (text mainly) that doesnt allow you to show the magic meter or life meter

Madou Monogatari traditionally doesn't *have* a life or magic meter. You have to judge Arle's condition based on her expression and the text that accompanies her getting hit each turn.

stranno

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2010, 06:37:10 pm »
Oh xD (it'll be HARD)

I saw some text droping (i belive) on screen so i guess that it was some kind of life meter

What is the expresion about magic? :-P

Last question, what is -then- the text dispayed in background, behind the main windows?

Thanks for ur answers :-D

PD: Harvey  Birdman rocks

Gideon Zhi

• IRC Staff
    • View Profile
    • Aeon Genesis
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2010, 06:58:22 pm »
Not sure about text displayed behind the main windows; didn't watch that far. But a lot of magic is "free" especially basic spells like Fire and Ice Storm. If you cast a spell that isn't free she'll say something afterwards, like "I'm full of magic power!"

In Madou Monogatari for the SNES (of which Madou Monogatari I for GG is the final dungeon, albiet in a much-simplified form) Arle starts out with the Healing spell, I think. And Bayoen. Both cost magic, and she'll tell you how much magic she's got when you use them.

filler

• We've been waiting for you!
    • View Profile
    • Filler's Translation Projects
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2010, 09:56:07 pm »
Oh xD (it'll be HARD)

I saw some text droping (i belive) on screen so i guess that it was some kind of life meter

What is the expresion about magic? :-P

Last question, what is -then- the text dispayed in background, behind the main windows?

Thanks for ur answers :-D

PD: Harvey  Birdman rocks

If you cast some magic like healing, Arle will report on the status of her magic after she is done casting like "I still have some magic left". Obviously if she starts complaining about her magic being low you may want to consume a magic restoring item.

The text displayed behind the main windows I'm not really sure what you mean. The only thing I can think of is the text bleed that happens as you approach the shop near the beginning. Once it occurs it persists and the text will change but it's all just copies of bits of text that appears during dialog. It's not part of the game, just a glitch.

Thanks for making the video btw! (Note, to get by Skeleton-T I just used ice storm on him and it worked pretty well after a couple tries.)

kingofcrusher

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2010, 11:42:14 pm »
Yeah that's just where I didn't line break one sentence in the right spot so it bleeds into the border tiles. The text changes because it's assigned one of the tiles in VRAM where the VWF is built. Unfortunately the game never refreshes those border tiles so if it happens once it's there until you save/reload which is pretty annoying. Hopefully someone who plays through it can send me a list of all the sentences that bleed and I can fix them.

Also sometimes the text from one side will appear in the other side if there's too much, that's because space in VRAM is very limited and if one sentence goes too long it uses tiles allocated for the other side's text. That I couldn't figure out a way to fix since both VWF tile sets need to be in VRAM at once.

stranno

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2010, 05:14:51 am »
Yep, i meant the text on the right side of the screen

Thanks all, i will give a try on PSP, it seems like an interesting game

RadioShadow

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2010, 05:05:54 pm »
This is awesome!  *goes and plays*

filler

• View Profile
Update Patch: Compass Fix
« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2010, 11:21:32 pm »
Someone has not only found a bug but taken the initiative and fixed it themselves! Good samaritan Sfon emailed me today with a patch for the game that claims to translate the cardinal compass directions from Japanese to English. I have not tested this myself, but the included screenshots testify for the results. For now you may grab this patch from my Madou Monogatari (GG) page.

Hernan

• Batankyu
    • View Profile
    • Puyo Nexus
« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2010, 05:29:18 am »
Wouldn't it be better if you have a place where people can dump bugs instead of sending emails? So people can see what's already reported.
Translated Puyo Puyo games here!

RadioShadow

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 16, 2010, 08:50:13 am »
Wouldn't it be better if you have a place where people can dump bugs instead of sending emails? So people can see what's already reported.

http://puyonexus.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=1583

Like that?

filler

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 16, 2010, 10:03:54 am »
I have no arguments with this. Bug reports go here: http://puyonexus.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=1583 I'll put a link to it on my project page.