logo
 drop

Main

Community

Submissions

Help

83724127 visitors

Author Topic: Translations: Tactics Ogre betatest begins.  (Read 5553 times)

RHDNBot

Translations: Tactics Ogre betatest begins.
« on: March 27, 2010, 10:18:17 am »

Update By: Gideon Zhi

Aeon Genesis's translation of Tactics Ogre has entered the playtesting phase. Things have come together pretty tightly, and barring any major issues it should be over shortly, with an actual release to follow soon. Fingers crossed!

(And no, you can't get a copy of the beta, so don't ask.)

Relevant Link: (http://agtp.romhack.net)

Red Soul

• View Profile
    • Dynamic Designs
Re: Translations: Tactics Ogre betatest begins.
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2010, 06:20:13 pm »
I've been hoping to see this done ever since the old days when it was a Wardhacks project I believe.
Good luck on this one GZ.

reyvgm

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2010, 08:54:08 pm »
Oh hell yes.

Recca

• Let's have some happier endings for a change...
    • View Profile
    • Dynamic-Designs
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2010, 10:35:39 pm »
Awesome news! I can't wait to try this out. With AGTP working on it, I know that it will come out great just like Rudra no Hihou and all the other releases. :thumbsup:
"Truly, if there is evil in this world, it lies within the heart of mankind."
- Edward D. Morrison (Tales of Phantasia)

heratio

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2010, 10:38:32 pm »
Ive played the playstation version of this, is that version pretty much a carbon copy of this except for the load times? 

Kronus_Arm

• Act like a baddass, whine like a sissy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2010, 10:48:39 pm »
Ive played the playstation version of this, is that version pretty much a carbon copy of this except for the load times? 

Oh yes, but I think the SNES version is better w/o the PSX version's loading times, plus an accurate translation.  ;)

Red Soul

• View Profile
    • Dynamic Designs
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2010, 10:58:02 pm »

As far as I understand that gist of it yeah, and the pauses to seek the voice samples are annoying enough IMO to turn one off from the
PS1 version. At least it did me.

Gideon Zhi

• IRC Staff
    • View Profile
    • Aeon Genesis
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2010, 12:41:18 am »
Oh yes, but I think the SNES version is better w/o the PSX version's loading times, plus an accurate translation.  ;)

Who said anything about a different translation? We just dropped Atlus's text into the game. It's getting tweaked here and there for when things get particularly awkward, but otherwise it's pretty much the same. It's actually blisteringly accurate, just generally poorly written and researched.

Nec5

• It was fun until humorlessness won out.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2010, 12:54:19 am »
You folks are awesome for doing this.
When Reason Fails

Kronus_Arm

• Act like a baddass, whine like a sissy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2010, 03:43:19 am »
Who said anything about a different translation? We just dropped Atlus's text into the game. It's getting tweaked here and there for when things get particularly awkward, but otherwise it's pretty much the same. It's actually blisteringly accurate, just generally poorly written and researched.

Oh, I see... I thought Atlus was one of those companies like Square who butcher game scripts... But then again, you said Atlus' translation of the PSX version is accurate but was poorly executed and that you dumped the text on the SNES version and tweaked them there?

That clears it up for me and can't wait for a release and try this out.

:thumbsup:

Psychlonic

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2010, 05:22:12 pm »
Man I remember ages ago when this was on my want list. I figured it was doomed to rot along with Slayers and DQ3, but lo and behold...

I will have to go against the grain and say that the PSX version is better with crisper music, more content, and if you pop the CD in a computer and play on an emulator there are no load times to speak of. Even on my PS2 the load times were negligible. Regardless, I think this is an achievement and am happy to see it finally come to life.

Regards.
The harder companies try to lock their products down, the more likely they are to test the limits of legitimate customers who look on enviously as the pirates enjoy a superior user experience.

Red Soul

• View Profile
    • Dynamic Designs
« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2010, 05:43:50 pm »
I've experienced pausings even using emulators and running the image directly from the hard disk so its really a design flaw if you ask me.
CD seeking would make it even slower so.

amitrius17

• View Profile
    • FantasyAnime
« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2010, 10:14:08 pm »
I'm happy to see so many people supporting this. I remember back in the day there was a stigma against translating SNES Tactics Ogre. It was viewed as a waste of time since there was the PSX version. On the contrary, an English SNES Tactics Ogre offers several valuable advantages, most of which have already been mentioned in this thread. As for me, I'm looking forward to playing it on my Android phone :)
[ fantasyanime.com ] RPGs & Anime

Red Soul

• View Profile
    • Dynamic Designs
« Reply #13 on: March 28, 2010, 11:29:42 pm »
As a rule, Snes - > PS1 ports tend to be bad.
Off the top of my head I guess I could cite Chrono Trigger.
In my book, anime cutscenes don't really offer a good trade off for the screen loading pauses it had.
So yes I have high hopes aoout Snes's TO being given the care it deserves.

Nightcrawler

• View Profile
    • Nightcrawler's Translation Corporation
« Reply #14 on: March 29, 2010, 08:38:17 am »
I have heard these myths for years and years and busted them long ago. The load times and sound are damn near identical... I have personally ran BOTH on the REAL systems (PSX and SNES) SIMULTANEOUSLY on the same TV and sound system. Using a switchbox I could run various parts of the game at the same time on both. Switching back and forth was near seamless in most instances possible for me to test. At best, I'll give you an occasional extra delay on the PSX version during some non prime gameplay loads. I really didn't notice any differences in the music on my system.
TransCorp - Over 15 years of community dedication.
Dual Orb 2, Wozz, Emerald Dragon, Tenshi No Uta, Herakles IV SFC/SNES Translations

Aeana

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 29, 2010, 02:43:22 pm »
Load times aren't the problem. There are constant little pauses in the battle menus in the PSX version. They add up to be something pretty annoying, at least to me.

KingMike

• Forum Moderator
  • *sigh* A changed avatar. Big deal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 29, 2010, 03:02:39 pm »
As bad as CT and FF5?
(in CT, I recall there was a delay between colliding with an enemy and its reaction, before changing to battle mode.
FF5 also had some battle loading time, though it seemed like they tried to obscure it with a spiral-blur and fade-in effects)
Sir Howard Stringer, chief executive of Sony, on Christmas sales of the PS3:
"It's a little fortuitous that the Wii is running out of hardware."

Gideon Zhi

• IRC Staff
    • View Profile
    • Aeon Genesis
« Reply #17 on: March 30, 2010, 03:24:55 am »
We've had to change the format of the day calendar sprite text, unfortunately. While there *are* free slots for sprites in the game engine, there aren't *many* and I'd used a few more than I should have, which was causing things to crash once enough of the map had been uncovered, a location name was visible on-screen, and "FIGHT IT OUT!" was visible (all are sprites.)

Here's a sample of the new format:

Red Soul

• View Profile
    • Dynamic Designs
« Reply #18 on: March 30, 2010, 03:37:26 am »
Even if the format had to be changed its still senseful so its okay I believe.
Nice font too.

Psychlonic

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 30, 2010, 05:53:45 pm »
I have heard these myths for years and years and busted them long ago. The load times and sound are damn near identical... I have personally ran BOTH on the REAL systems (PSX and SNES) SIMULTANEOUSLY on the same TV and sound system. Using a switchbox I could run various parts of the game at the same time on both. Switching back and forth was near seamless in most instances possible for me to test. At best, I'll give you an occasional extra delay on the PSX version during some non prime gameplay loads. I really didn't notice any differences in the music on my system.

That's interesting if true, however it's been my personal experience that the SNES music is much more "muddled" sounding. I should note though that I've only played the SNES version via emulators and listened to the ripped soundtrack. Realizing that emulation is not the real thing, the PSX version - be it emulated or on actual hardware - has always sounded much better and while I certain am not calling BS nor asking anyone to oblige, it would take a HQ video with crystal clear audio showing the switching and identical sound to make me believe otherwise. In no case - on any emulator, ripped soundtrack, etc. - has the SNES music sounded anywhere near par with the PSX version - even considering the SNES sound was emulated and not perfect the difference is too extreme. Maybe I'm just an audiophile.
The harder companies try to lock their products down, the more likely they are to test the limits of legitimate customers who look on enviously as the pirates enjoy a superior user experience.