logo
 drop

Main

Community

Submissions

Help

Author Topic: Could someone explain me how Zelda's font works?  (Read 286 times)

Firionel

• View Profile
Could someone explain me how Zelda's font works?
« on: September 27, 2016, 04:19:12 pm »
Hi! I'm not sure if what I'm about to ask is extremely obvious, so please forgive me if that's the case.

After spending some weeks reading about romhacking and doing some experiments with Super Mario and Zelda, I told myself: "Hey, I'm gonna go make a translation of Zelda I into Spanish!" It has been done before, but hey, I wanted to do it as a personal project, and make it truer to Japanese than other translations. So I started working.

Suddenly, I realize that I have to add "Ñ" to the game's font, as well as "á, é, í, ó ú". No prob, right? I've seen dozens of tutorials that do this. So I open Tile Layer Pro, select the game, scroll down to the game's font, and I find see this.

Everything looks normal at first. I wan't to get rid of that usless ' and turn it into an Ñ, so I copy-paste te "N" tile on top of the ' tile, as I intend to add a "~" on top of it, when I realize... I can't. I can't because of the way the characters are displayed. The few top pixels of every character appear cropped for some reason. It's specially obvious if you look at the "E" and the "F". And I stand there, looking at the screen dumbfounded 'cause I have no idea what to do. I think this is somehow connected to those dark lines at the bottom of the characters, but I'm supposed to add simething to the top of a letter and I don't know how to do it.

Do you guys have any idea? Again, I apologize if this is something obvious, as you can probably guess, I'm kinda new to this.

DarkSamus993

• View Profile
Re: Could someone explain me how Zelda's font works?
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2016, 04:51:54 pm »
You are not on the correct offset to view the font correctly, you need to shift left by one byte. The font starts at 0x878F.

Firionel

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2016, 05:01:01 pm »
Oh wow that's embarrassing. Thanks for answering.

reyvgm

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2016, 03:35:25 pm »
*Link ataca a Ganon con una ñañara.

*Ganon muere de la picazon.